Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I joined the Waiting for Tesla discord last week and set notifications for M3s in my state. I grabbed a M3LR in black with black interior and 18" wheels about a day later and took delivery today. It sure beats refreshing tesla.com randomly! It was built in mid-January and had 15 miles on the odometer.
I know the respectable response here is to congratulate you on your luck. I imagine you made an account and posted here to share your excitement. However, I don't think this is the right place for your post. This thread is a place to provide support to folks who placed orders and are anxiously awaiting delivery. All of us with pending orders just got our delivery dates pushed out up to three months earlier today. I'm sure you can understand our collective disappointment. So, I'm going to level with you and say your contribution here is not at all helpful and pretty tone deaf given the timing. Might I recommend posting on Reddit instead next time.

I know the respectable response here is to congratulate you on your luck. I imagine you made an account and posted here to share your excitement. However, I don't think this is the right place for your post. This thread is a place to provide support to folks who placed orders and are anxiously awaiting delivery. All of us with pending orders just got our delivery dates pushed out up to three months earlier today. I'm sure you can understand our collective disappointment. So, I'm going to level with you and say your contribution here is not at all helpful and pretty tone deaf given the timing. Might I recommend posting on Reddit instead next time.

While frustrating to you, the information @angelicboris provided is actually quite useful. I too found the exact M3LR model that I wanted at the end of December by using Tesla's inventory API. Angelicboris simply used a well-known Discord server's bot which makes calls to Tesla's inventory API in intervals (rate limited) to obtain up-to-date information and display it in the Discord server (where you can set alerts to notify you of matching vehicles that you're interested in). If you want a M3LR now, I would highly suggest following this user's suggestions as it can lead to you buying one in hours or days instead of waiting months.

For fun and to provide users with some additional information/insight/context, here are the general steps to query an API in Python 3:
  1. Install the necessary libraries (e.g., requests, json) using pip.
  2. Import the necessary libraries.
  3. Set up the API endpoint and any necessary headers or parameters.
  4. Send a GET request to the endpoint using requests.get().
  5. Parse the response data using json.loads() or other similar methods.
And here is some sample code that you can adapt to work with the Tesla inventory API:

Code:
import requests
import json

# Set up the API endpoint and any necessary headers or parameters.
url = "https://api.tesla.com/v1/inventory-search"
headers = {
"Content-Type": "application/json",
"Authorization": "Bearer YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN_HERE"
}
params = {
"query": {
"model": "MODEL_3",
"condition": "new",
"market": "US",
"options": {
"TRIM": "all"
}
},
"paging": {
"count": 1000,
"order_by": "distance",
"order_direction": "asc",
"current_page": 1
}
}

# Send a GET request to the endpoint using requests.get().
response = requests.get(url, headers=headers, params=params)

# Parse the response data using json.loads() or other similar methods.
data = json.loads(response.text)

# Extract the relevant information from the data and do something with it.
cars = data.get("results")
for car in cars:
# Do something with the car information.
print(car.get("vin"))

Note that the above code assumes that you have already obtained an access token for the Tesla inventory API and have replaced "YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN_HERE" in the headers dictionary with that token. Additionally, the code above assumes that you are searching for all new Model 3 cars available in the US with any trim option. You can modify the query parameters to search for different types of cars or filter the results in different ways.

While frustrating to you, the information @angelicboris provided is actually quite useful. I too found the exact M3LR model that I wanted at the end of December by using Tesla's inventory API. Angelicboris simply used a well-known Discord server's bot which makes calls to Tesla's inventory API in intervals (rate limited) to obtain up-to-date information and display it in the Discord server (where you can set alerts to notify you of matching vehicles that you're interested in). If you want a M3LR now, I would highly suggest following this user's suggestions as it can lead to you buying one in hours or days instead of waiting months.
I actually signed up for those alerts several weeks ago, right before inventory dried up. I'm not sure you're aware, but LR models are not currently being made as they were back when you purchased your car. Setting up alerts is really only helpful when the cars are in production and you haven't placed an order. There are still one offs listed very occasionally; probably cancellations. My SA informed me that they would match me with an existing inventory vehicle in my area, if available, before it would be posted online.

I don't fault someone for wanting to share their success, just their venue of choice. I continue to believe a waiting room thread is for folks with placed orders.

I actually signed up for those alerts several weeks ago, right before inventory dried up. I'm not sure you're aware, but LR models are not currently being made as they were back when you purchased your car. Setting up alerts is really only helpful when the cars are in production and you haven't placed an order. There are still one offs listed very occasionally; probably cancellations. My SA informed me that they would match me with an existing inventory vehicle in my area, if available, before it would be posted online.

I don't fault someone for wanting to share their success, just their venue of choice. I continue to believe a waiting room thread is for folks with placed orders.
Ah! No, I was not aware that inventory has dried up 😔

Keep an eye on Investor's Day on March 1. I think a lot of people are expecting some information on what's going on with the Model 3.
We are hoping the new ML LR will be announced then. We have a 3 LR on a lease, and our extension runs out in June. Hoping for a new car with HW4 and a new camera and radar suite.

I took delivery -late- yesterday in Fremont. My friend who took delivery -also late- somewhere else in SF area yesterday.
I saw more than handful who -waiting- for delivery @ Fremont, and from the conversation, they are looking to beat the 2/28 deadline of US / federal 7.5k .

It is 3PM here in PST and I am sure nobody have the crystal ball to know what to do tomorrow ... but, for me, I need to -cut the check- to save some serious bucks, that nobody can warranty us to get it tomorrow 3/1/23.

I hope you are all play the game correctly and join the Tesla family, soon .

For me, it is a good car and I can only hope thing will get better .

Reactions: Steamer and cmy4x4
Took delivery yesterday in Raleigh, NC. Ordered 1/25. The delivery center was crazy busy! I was there from 2:00pm until my appt at 5:20. I watched 20-25 cars go to customers (almost 100% MY). Asked a gentlemen working how many they pushed out, and he said. “79 today, 87 yesterday.” He mentioned that they’re averaging approx 70 a day the past two weeks.
You ordered 1/25? Or you purchased from inventory? I thought Tesla stopped taking orders for M3LR last year.

Definitely a bit of a bummer with the lack of information. I can understand why, to a point--if you create hype around upcoming refreshed models, you could hurt your current sales since a lot of people would hold off ordering until the updated models are out. I still don't believe they would push our delivery dates out through July without at least some changes being made. Wasn't the LR their best selling model until they stopped taking online orders?

Wasn't the LR their best selling model until they stopped taking online orders?
Model Y became Tesla's best seller in the US in Q1 2022 (53k versus 40k). At the same time, the order backlog for Model Y was much longer than for the Model 3. SUVs represent 53% of the auto market while sedans make up only 16%, so people really don't care about sedans. I think the Model 3 only sold as well as it did because it was the cheapest Tesla.

Reactions: Diceroller
Also you do realize you’re quoting a 3-year-old post? Things have significantly changed since then.
Yes-I did realize the date, but just joined and trying to get all the info possible to ease the transaction. They said both people on loan need to be there. If all the loan docs are handled prior to delivery day, then what do you sign on the actual day? lease terms, odometer reading, lemon law, etc?

Definitely a bit of a bummer with the lack of information. I can understand why, to a point--if you create hype around upcoming refreshed models, you could hurt your current sales since a lot of people would hold off ordering until the updated models are out. I still don't believe they would push our delivery dates out through July without at least some changes being made. Wasn't the LR their best selling model until they stopped taking online orders?
Lack of information? lol what?

Tesla Investor Day is not a product release event. This was Master Plan Part 3.
Oh, I'm aware. Investing has many time horizons and they didn't say anything about the short term, which I found frustrating. Amazing stuff on the long term plan, so I'm a happily-astonished investor from that standpoint. My greatest concern now is whether planning tomorrow is compromising execution today.

Reactions: Diceroller
(moderator note)

TL ; DR

After thinking about this for quite some time, I have decided to no longer enforce "only model specific waiting rooms" in the model 3 subforum. This means, in effect, that I will no longer merge all waiting room type posts into one of these three waiting rooms (SR+/RWD -- LR---Performance).

People will be free to make other waiting rooms if they so desire.
====================================================

(A bit more context - fairly long)

The reason I previously enforced "only 3 model specific waiting rooms, instead of various regional waiting room" is because there isnt that much that can be sleuthed out about Teslas delivery process by splitting it up by region.

Additionally, it becomes a slippery slope.

Someone makes "California waiting room",
Someone else makes " California - Southern California" waiting room,
Then someone else makes "California - SoCal - Los Angeles Red Model 3" waiting room
Then "California - Los Angeles - Red / White - 19s, Ordered after Jan 2023" waiting room,
Then you finally end up with someone creating - "California - Los Angeles - By Randys Doughnuts -Blue / White - 19s, Spoiler ordered between Jan 15 and Feb 30 Waiting room"

For evidence of this, one only needs to look at the model Y subforum, and see the first couple pages of the Model Y ordering subforum for proof:

These various waiting rooms take over the first couple of pages of that subforum, and basically become separate threads for a few people each in the specific circumstance to chat back and forth about stuff, and (im)patiently wait, together.

Even with the above, however, this makes the model 3 subforum different than the model Y subforum, for no reason other than I didnt want it to look like the above. I have decided that in this case, letting people (im)patiently wait in all those separate threads isnt necessarily a bad thing, if thats something people want to do. So, If people want to make various waiting rooms for regions, and areas, go for it, I will no longer force merge them back into these threads.

• Disagree
Reactions: JB47394
Even with the above, however, this makes the model 3 subforum different than the model Y subforum, for no reason other than I didnt want it to look like the above. I have decided that in this case, letting people (im)patiently wait in all those separate threads isnt necessarily a bad thing, if thats something people want to do. So, If people want to make various waiting rooms for regions, and areas, go for it, I will no longer force merge them back into these threads.
I don't understand. Everything in your post states that multiple threads has disadvantages (which I agree with), and you even cite the mess that is the Model Y waiting area. Then you say that you want to let Model 3 Long Range go down that path. What's the point?