Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that’s like a 3 month old car to you :p
Exactly! lol

Thats why getting a car with super low miles for the warranty didn't make sense. Paying an extra $5k for an extra 30k miles is like $5k for 6m of additional coverage. The one I got just happened to be priced right and have low miles.

Although now I need to figure out how to unload this car without losing my shirt so I can get the AWD version. My drive is long enough that I have a lot of fun driving. That being said, I think the extra power from AWD + Boost would make my experience that much better.

I've seen enough of the AWD vs. RWD videos but a lot of times those RWD versions are the SR+. So, is the AWD THAT much quicker than the LR RWD?

I might recommend keeping the RWD car for a few weeks to see how it works out for you in terms of range (RWD has better range than AWD). It will also give you a better appreciation for the dual motor car when you upgrade. Carvana and Vroom are pretty good options - you might also want to look into a private party sale.

What? Why did you pay 40k for a 2018 with 23k miles on it? No wonder why you are getting such a low number when you are trying to sell it.

How did you buy a 2018 directly from Tesla? In 2021.
1) Because the going rate for that vehicle is $40k and above
2) The vehicle is used (obviously) so I went to their used car section, found it, and bought it.

I suppose I could have gone with something newer but here's reality- My payment, insurance, and electricity costs less than what I was paying in gas on my previous car. Also, I put on 1300 miles per week, thus will destroy any car I get, so why get anything new?

Reactions: GZDongles
1) Because the going rate for that vehicle is $40k and above
2) The vehicle is used (obviously) so I went to their used car section, found it, and bought it.

I suppose I could have gone with something newer but here's reality- My payment, insurance, and electricity costs less than what I was paying in gas on my previous car. Also, I put on 1300 miles per week, thus will destroy any car I get, so why get anything new?
This is a bit off topic, but what do you do in the car for those long commutes? It seems like that would be a perfect opportunity to cruise through some audiobooks or podcasts!

This is a bit off topic, but what do you do in the car for those long commutes? It seems like that would be a perfect opportunity to cruise through some audiobooks or podcasts!
Great question- The morning I talk on the phone with my wife and/or kids. I don't see my 4 yr old a whole lot because shes in bed before I get home. Also when i get home, I head straight upstairs to workout while the wife does her work. So when normal people catch up with each other in the evenings, I do it the following morning. Or I listen to music. The morning drive is actually very easy and peaceful. Not many people on the road in the 5 o'clock hour.

In the evening, I listen to music, podcasts, or chat with friends. Again, my life isn't ideal but 1) No one knows what I went through previously, 2) I do it for a lot of money (not to sound like a jerk), 3) It's hopefully not forever, 4) See #1, and add that my wife refused to move, 5) My career died if I didn't move, commute, or change industries and my wife wouldn't move, I'm too far into my career to change industries.

275 mile daily commute and the problem is acceleration? I wouldn't last a week on that commute in a model 3.
Way too noisy for that amount of driving.

With that much driving, I'm having a lot of fun. Charging is no longer an issue so I can be as inefficient as I want with range :) I always had sports cars before kids and have been sidelined for 8 years so having some torque again...leaves me like a kid in a candy store.

Great question- The morning I talk on the phone with my wife and/or kids. I don't see my 4 yr old a whole lot because shes in bed before I get home. Also when i get home, I head straight upstairs to workout while the wife does her work. So when normal people catch up with each other in the evenings, I do it the following morning. Or I listen to music. The morning drive is actually very easy and peaceful. Not many people on the road in the 5 o'clock hour.

In the evening, I listen to music, podcasts, or chat with friends. Again, my life isn't ideal but 1) No one knows what I went through previously, 2) I do it for a lot of money (not to sound like a jerk), 3) It's hopefully not forever, 4) See #1, and add that my wife refused to move, 5) My career died if I didn't move, commute, or change industries and my wife wouldn't move, I'm too far into my career to change industries.
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you are using the drive time really well. The grass is always greener on the other side I suppose. I was flying almost every week for work, and I was initially thrilled to take some time off and work from home. However, a year into it, I've discovered that I listen to fewer podcasts and audiobooks without the enforced non working time that I used to have from a commute and work travel.

I’m currently using a Honda Accord getting 30 mpg. Sure there are hybrids that can get 40 or 50 mpg but after doing the math, it’s not much of a savings when you add in the price of a car.

Current setup: $600 gas, $50 oil change, no car payment

Proposed setup: $830 for car, electricity, and increased insurance.

So for an extra $180 all in, I’d be driving a Model 3 LR. Getting a hybrid type car would save me $240 on gas but then I’d still have car payment and regular monthly oil changes. If the finances were a wash between the two, I’d still be hitting the gas station 3x’s per week.

I just need to get an outlet installed at work and I can charge literally all day. I’m the CFO so would only have to convince one person 🤞
The last sentence sold me….

Hey, new here to the group. After some light reading here i decided to post.

Like some others here, I drive 75 to 80 miles one way to work. (Philadelphia subs to North Jersey). Depends on the route I choose for the day. I currently own a 2018 Prius and get from 46 mpg in winter to 56 mpg in summer! Yes, it's a big swing.

I am looking at the M3 LR or the Camry Hybrid. I test drove both and love them the same. The only thing that I keep coming back to, will the M3 make it back and forth on one charge in the winter?

I work for the Government and charging at work might be an issue. They do have 20Amp outlets in the rear parking lot for other government owned vehicles which i MIGHT be able use due to Obama ex order.

North Jersey has a bunch of uphill driving on I80 and can get near 0f in the winter.

Just looking for some people with experience and might be a bit smarter than me to assist with a 50k decision.

Reactions: dmurphy
Hey, new here to the group. After some light reading here i decided to post.

Like some others here, I drive 75 to 80 miles one way to work. (Philadelphia subs to North Jersey). Depends on the route I choose for the day. I currently own a 2018 Prius and get from 46 mpg in winter to 56 mpg in summer! Yes, it's a big swing.

I am looking at the M3 LR or the Camry Hybrid. I test drove both and love them the same. The only thing that I keep coming back to, will the M3 make it back and forth on one charge in the winter?

I work for the Government and charging at work might be an issue. They do have 20Amp outlets in the rear parking lot for other government owned vehicles which i MIGHT be able use due to Obama ex order.

North Jersey has a bunch of uphill driving on I80 and can get near 0f in the winter.

Just looking for some people with experience and might be a bit smarter than me to assist with a 50k decision.
160 miles round trip? No problem. You’ll be fine even in the depths of February.

(also in northern NJ and drive a LR Model 3. On I80/287/GSP). Hi from Parsippany!

It’s actually the perfect car for our area. There’s nowhere in-state I can go that’s not in range. Plenty of Superchargers around too although I use them so infrequently. Just around me I have Parsippany, Rockaway, Boonton, Springfield and others ….

Reactions: Leeclanual