Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and even if they could accommodate the pack size needed for 325 miles+ EPA ... the vehicle would be *very* heavy and noticeably heavier than a Model 3 Performance ... yet they still claim 4.2 seconds for 0-60 as a spec...

How much heavier really? 300 pounds? That's like the addition of 2 passengers. The difference between 3.1 seconds and 4.2 seconds is huge.

You do know it isn't all that common as people seem to want to ignore logic and just go with what they think or feel.

So the consensus I'm getting here is really no one actually knows. That's alright it's better than Tesla says it's LFP and (no offense to anyone here) random people on a message board being sure it's not LFP.

If you can identify an LFP cell provider who has hit 90% of NMC energy density and is shipping millions of cells, I'm willing to listen

Who did you receive your information from? You keep saying it was from Tesla but not a Store Employee.
No, I don't keep saying that, I said it once. I also said I reached out to Tesla to ask the type of battery and heard back that it was LFP. I should have stated I reached out via their website. This was followed up from Tesla with a phone call and email. So far they are telling me LFP. That is all the information I have I'm not arguing with them as, well they make the cars.

If you can identify an LFP cell provider who has hit 90% of NMC energy density and is shipping millions of cells, I'm willing to listen
All in saying is Tesla, the people that make the car are saying LFP. You have nothing but speculation. Which to be fair could be spot on but I don't know that nor does any other regular person. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the speculation up until it's passed off as fact.

No, I don't keep saying that, I said it once. I also said I reached out to Tesla to ask the type of battery and heard back that it was LFP. I should have stated I reached out via their website. This was followed up from Tesla with a phone call and email. So far they are telling me LFP. That is all the information I have I'm not arguing with them as, well they make the cars.
Interesting, I just spoke with the online chat and the advisor said they had no information at this time on the type of battery in the new LR Model 3. I’d speculate that the chat advisors were merely going off of the rumors at the time until they were updated on what to say. Seems now they’ve been told to say they have no information on the topic. You should reach out to chat again thought and see if you get something different now.

All in saying is Tesla, the people that make the car are saying LFP. You have nothing but speculation. Which to be fair could be spot on but I don't know that nor does any other regular person. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the speculation up until it's passed off as fact.

You have that a bit wrong. The random service writers who are consistently wrong about details happening at Tesla HQ are coughing up letters and words they don't know much about with regards to coming battery changes, and those letters contradict known energy density reality on the planet

You have that a bit wrong. The random service writers who are consistently wrong about details happening at Tesla HQ are coughing up letters and words they don't know much about with regards to coming battery changes, and those letters contradict known energy density reality on the planet
That is interesting, do you have a link to an article or something. I'm always willing to learn more and appreciate those that take the time to help spread around the education.

Interesting, I just spoke with the online chat and the advisor said they had no information at this time on the type of battery in the new LR Model 3. I’d speculate that the chat advisors were merely going off of the rumors at the time until they were updated on what to say. Seems now they’ve been told to say they have no information on the topic. You should reach out to chat again thought and see if you get something different now.
I'd like to hope Tesla's own advisors aren't going of rumour. You'd want to think Musk runs a tight ship but as we all know he could change his mind via tweet 😂 I just jumped on chat myself just to see and they said they don't provide that information 😂

I am genuinely curious as to what the end product will be. Will it be some form of LFP or something new all together. I hate that there's no solid information as of yet from the company itself. You'd swear they need a PR Department.

That is interesting, do you have a link to an article or something. I'm always willing to learn more and appreciate those that take the time to help spread around the education.

This is really simple. Tesla already uses LFP packs.... for the Standard Range cars. Which have ranges in the 250 to 275 region for Model 3.

And Tesla has LR packs using Panasonic NMC cells with ranges in the 340 to 350 region for Model 3.

So either some magical LFP supplier bumped the energy-density on their cells by 3/4ths of the gap between LFP and NMC to reach "325+", or... it's just the slightly-less-efficient LG NMC cells which we've already seen in other parts of the world such as China.

Interesting. In Canada, the range is 534 km for the 2023 LR. In US is 325+ mi. Problem is, 534 km aren’t 325 but 331 miles. Who can explain this oddity?
Canada Model 3 LR are coming from China now which is the same configuration as what Europe already gets, so the testing data already exists for that car.

The new US market LR is built in Fremont with possibly the same battery pack as Made in China cars, but that specific combination hasn’t been tested/certified yet. Most likely final certification will result in the same or close number of 331 miles.

Or it’s possible the new Fremont 3 LR incorporates some manufacturing changes (single piece castings?) that makes it substantially different than Shanghai cars which requires recertification.

Reactions: Diceroller
Canada range estimates do not use the US EPA rating system
Yes, they do. Unless you are telling me Tesla is the oddity, every other EV in Canada is using the EPA rating system.
IMG_0471.jpeg

Last edited:
Canada Model 3 LR are coming from China now which is the same configuration as what Europe already gets, so the testing data already exists for that car.
Interesting enough the Europe model uses the WLTP range : 602 Km which translated in EPA = 537 Km (602/1.121) so yeah, it might be just that, although 537 is not 534.
I just realized the US LR has no EPA estimation, it’s only mentioning (est) but the two others model have the (est. EPA) numbers.
IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting enough the Europe model uses the WLTP range : 602 Km which translated in EPA = 537 Km (602/1.121) so yeah, it might be just that, although 537 is not 534.
I just realized the US LR has no EPA estimation, it’s only mentioning (est) but the two others model have the (est. EPA) numbers.
View attachment 940568
View attachment 940570
Can’t really just directly convert WLTP to EPA with math since the testing procedures are different.

But yes the LR doesn’t show “EPA est.” Because they haven’t completed the EPA testing/certification yet.

But yes the LR doesn’t show “EPA est.” Because they haven’t completed the EPA testing/certification yet.
It’s indeed interesting. If it’s the "MIC for Europe" battery/car, everyone knows what the EPA for that is, right ? Then still, they chose NOT to put the EPA numbers. Or, they only have the WLTP numbers (as asked by Europe standard) for it but not the EPA ones ? 🤔

Dam so going off of what everyone seems to think here, the new LR doesn't seem likely to be LFP (which I was hoping for). The speculations based off the context seems correct.

That being said, is the LFP battery of the SR better lasting than the coming US LR? While I'm not too worried about the battery life of NCA, I've read that LFP seems to last ~x3 times as long with up to a million charge cycles.

I dont really care about the charging only up to 80%-90% because its still plenty for my daily use of about 50-60miles~. With long distance or road trips, Tesla's super charger network is good enough for me.

I have the LR on order right now with a EDD of May 30th - June 27th. With the price difference and battery difference, would you guys consider the LFP Standard Range over the Long Range at all or is the difference worth it?

My biggest reluctant factor is the battery not being LFP because it is supposed to last longer. I'm planning on driving this car into the dirt (10+ years at least).

Dam so going off of what everyone seems to think here, the new LR doesn't seem likely to be LFP (which I was hoping for). The speculations based off the context seems correct.

That being said, is the LFP battery of the SR better lasting than the coming US LR? While I'm not too worried about the battery life of NCA, I've read that LFP seems to last ~x3 times as long with up to a million charge cycles.

I dont really care about the charging only up to 80%-90% because its still plenty for my daily use of about 50-60miles~. With long distance or road trips, Tesla's super charger network is good enough for me.

I have the LR on order right now with a EDD of May 30th - June 27th. With the price difference and battery difference, would you guys consider the LFP Standard Range over the Long Range at all or is the difference worth it?

My biggest reluctant factor is the battery not being LFP because it is supposed to last longer. I'm planning on driving this car into the dirt (10+ years at least).

How many miles do you think you’ll be driving your car? All modern Model 3 batteries are expected to last at least 300,000 miles.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
I am in the same process. I ordered a SR RWD + Enhanced AP and I was stunned later on to realize it is almost the same prize as a LR, once the LR was available for buying in Canada. I like the LFP but at the same time, I like the better range more. What I don't like is that the LR gets the batteries from LG Energy Solution who ****ed up the Bolt EV and GM made them pay $ 2B for battery replacements that everyone knows about. At the same time, the same LG Energy Solution has a partnership with GM for their Ultium batteries. Tesla too. Soo... maybe in the end it's not that bad.

Last edited: