Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD vs LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure everyone realizes that in every day driving that small acceleration difference is undetectable. Kinda shows why you shouldn't get AWD for the speed but rather it's ability in inclement weather.
Hmmm. I must not be "everyone."

Yes it is absolutely "detectable" in everyday driving. Assuming that your every day driving includes several full-throttle romps like mine does. I agree that there are millions of drivers out there who *never* use the full acceleration potential of their cars. And for them, this difference is of course irrelevant.

Again, I'm not one of those drivers. There is an ever-growing part of me that wishes I'd opted for the P. But at the time, the P cost differential was huge. If it had been the cost differential that it later became, I'd have jumped on it. Because, you know... that every day driving difference that I crave. :)

Hmmm. I must not be "everyone."

Yes it is absolutely "detectable" in everyday driving. Assuming that your every day driving includes several full-throttle romps like mine does. I agree that there are millions of drivers out there who *never* use the full acceleration potential of their cars. And for them, this difference is of course irrelevant.

Again, I'm not one of those drivers. There is an ever-growing part of me that wishes I'd opted for the P. But at the time, the P cost differential was huge. If it had been the cost differential that it later became, I'd have jumped on it. Because, you know... that every day driving difference that I crave. :)

Ok I stand corrected 99% of drivers. :).

Is there a difference in handling between the RWD and AWD?
Yes, same with any other RWD/AWD comparison. Accelerating uphill under less than ideal conditions makes a noticeable difference. Accelerating hard out of turns makes a noticeable difference. In regular, boring driving, you'll notice nothing. But then who talks about "handling" in those situations, right?

I had a loaner MS P90D for 2 weeks when my M3 LR RWD was at a SeC to correct a number of delivery points. One of the main differences between the S and my 3 was the way AP performed. Smooth in the S (loved it), not so smooth in my 3 (don't love it as much).

Could the difference be in RWD vs AWD, or is it just the difference between a 3 and a S? Does anyone have any experience in comparing AP function in a model 3 RWD and AWD?

I had a loaner MS P90D for 2 weeks when my M3 LR RWD was at a SeC to correct a number of delivery points. One of the main differences between the S and my 3 was the way AP performed. Smooth in the S (loved it), not so smooth in my 3 (don't love it as much).

Could the difference be in RWD vs AWD, or is it just the difference between a 3 and a S? Does anyone have any experience in comparing AP function in a model 3 RWD and AWD?
Too many variables. Would have to know the software versions.

I highly doubt the number of motors has anything to do with it though.

Someone made a nice video showing the differences in acceleration between Model 3 LR RWD vs LR AWD. Since people are always wondering how does x compare to y, here it is:

Since we all want to keep the roads safe, it is best to take it to an actual race track!
I pulled together some footage of my RWD chasing an AWD at Buttonwillow. I love my RWD, but that straight-line acceleration advantage of an extra motor is undeniably sweet.

I pulled together some footage of my RWD chasing an AWD at Buttonwillow. I love my RWD, but that straight-line acceleration advantage of an extra motor is undeniably sweet.
Great video.

But I think you're still selling the AWD short. While it is great in straight-line acceleration, it shines even brighter when it is NOT going straight. The punch coming out of the turns whilst still turning is unbelievable.

Full throttle can be used in more instances, and more throttle means more with the dual motors. Combine these concepts and you've got something awesomer.

Great video.

But I think you're still selling the AWD short. While it is great in straight-line acceleration, it shines even brighter when it is NOT going straight. The punch coming out of the turns whilst still turning is unbelievable.

Full throttle can be used in more instances, and more throttle means more with the dual motors. Combine these concepts and you've got something awesomer.
Understood. Watching the dual motor variants gain speed instantly coming out of a sharp, low-speed corner like Off-Ramp at Buttonwillow is amazing!