Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, and it makes me a little uneasy to lift the whole side of the car from one point. how sure are we that there aren't unacceptable stresses being placed by doing this?

Nope. This is exactly how the Tesla Ranger's do remote tire rotations. I was worried as well until I watched the ranger rotate my neighbor's M3. He jacked up at the rear jacking point in front of the rear tire. Jacked it up until both wheels came off the ground. The chassis is stiff enough to more than support it's own weight!

B602341D-A294-4F42-84DA-D3F556B787B6.jpeg
Nope. This is exactly how the Tesla Ranger's do remote tire rotations. I was worried as well until I watched the ranger rotate my neighbor's M3. He jacked up at the rear jacking point in front of the rear tire. Jacked it up until both wheels came off the ground. The chassis is stiff enough to more than support it's own weight!

I took my car into the service center today for the first time, for a tire rotation. They measured the rears depth at 2/32 and the fronts at 4/32, so recommended replacing. I guess my "spirited" driving over the first 10,500 miles is going to cost me a new set of tires :eek: Launching this car fast is just too much fun though.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I noticed more uneven wear on my first 10K (new and driving more spirited?) Than I've seen since my first rotation. My first rotation was at 10K and the rears of my RWD were noticeably worn more than the fronts. Now, 17K miles later (27K total) I just measured them as about even. Rears have about (1/2) of 32nd less than fronts... Rears at 4.5 and fronts at 5 (32nds)

Which tires do you have?

My 18" Aero's with the MXM4's (2018 LR RWD) have just under 11k on them, one rotation done at about 6,500mi and I just measured them all around at about 5/32nd even.

They are also much less grippy lately, especially when wet. I don't have much hope for them hitting more than 15k before the're toast.

It's all good since I just ordered up a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3's to turn the Aeros into my winter set. :D

Lower the pressure to 40 psi, they will improve.

Use 45 psi for road trips where you need max efficiency.

I've been running the same 42psi (per door sticker/June 2018 build) since delivery... they have noticeably less traction in the past few thousand miles so something is changing in the tread.

I'll give 40psi a shot at my next rotation, but either way, these MXM4's are getting kicked to the curb for the new winter tires in a few months.

I know this is a RWD thread, but on my performance 3 I recently rotated my tires. They are PS4S on 19" wheels. There is 3 grooves that go around the circumference of each tire somewhat towards the middle.

While the rear tires wore straight across I got a 1mm difference from the inside to the outside of the tire tread when taking readings for the front. They seem to wear more on the inside than the outside. It was consistent on both sides in the front.

Basically 7out 8in for both fronts, and 7out 7in for the rears. I did the X-Rotation (RearWard Cross, although I technically switched the front tires first, then rotated front to back, back to font.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
I know this is a RWD thread, but on my performance 3 I recently rotated my tires. They are PS4S on 19" wheels. There is 3 grooves that go around the circumference of each tire somewhat towards the middle.

While the rear tires wore straight across I got a 1mm difference from the inside to the outside of the tire tread when taking readings for the front. They seem to wear more on the inside than the outside. It was consistent on both sides in the front.

Basically 7out 8in for both fronts, and 7out 7in for the rears. I did the X-Rotation (RearWard Cross, although I technically switched the front tires first, then rotated front to back, back to font.
Too much toe. It's up to you to decide if you want them aligned.

I do it myself pretty religiously at 6000 miles (done 3 of them now). I use the opportunity to check the suspension, brakes, etc. as well. It's incredibly easy on the Model 3; if anyone is in Arizona feel free to PM me and I can do this for you. I have all the (proper) tools and am ASE certified. I measure inner, middle, and outer tread depth with a calibrated tread depth gauge also... not that crappy plastic thing that magically always reads at 2/32" that says your tires need replacing ;)

On a side note my tires are wearing more evenly on my Model 3 than any other car I've owned (20k miles and 6.5/32" tread depth left).

Reactions: KenC and mrau
Specifically in the wet. I have tried multiple pressure combos as well. Judging by some of the reviews on tire rack, I am not alone.
I think I'll go the CROSSCLIMATE+ route next time.

The all-weather tires are making a lot of inroads. This includes the Michelin CrossClimate, Nokian WRG4, Vredestein Quatrac 5, and a few others are coming on the market now. They're great tires. I use the Nokians on my wife's car and I have a set of Vredesteins for mine. I use both of those sets primarily as late fall to early spring tires since they work very well in the cold and are snow/ice rated as well just in case.

They're all rated for year-round use, but I do think the tread wear might be accelerated in hot temperatures, so spring to fall I run summer tires.

The Nokians gave me really poor wet traction when they were first put on the car, but that improved considerably after about 500 miles and they now have great grip in the wet. I believe that was due to the tread release compound that was on the tires when they were new, it took a while for it to wear off. The Vredesteins had no such issues. The Nokians ride a little better, the Vredesteins appear to be a little more efficient.

Might try the CrossClimate's on one car or the other next time around.

• Informative
Reactions: MacGreiner
The all-weather tires are making a lot of inroads. This includes the Michelin CrossClimate, Nokian WRG4, Vredestein Quatrac 5, and a few others are coming on the market now. They're great tires. I use the Nokians on my wife's car and I have a set of Vredesteins for mine. I use both of those sets primarily as late fall to early spring tires since they work very well in the cold and are snow/ice rated as well just in case.

They're all rated for year-round use, but I do think the tread wear might be accelerated in hot temperatures, so spring to fall I run summer tires.

The Nokians gave me really poor wet traction when they were first put on the car, but that improved considerably after about 500 miles and they now have great grip in the wet. I believe that was due to the tread release compound that was on the tires when they were new, it took a while for it to wear off. The Vredesteins had no such issues. The Nokians ride a little better, the Vredesteins appear to be a little more efficient.

Might try the CrossClimate's on one car or the other next time around.
Interesting! I'm planning on ether the CC+ or Quatrac5 when I replace the Michelins in November. Haven't seen anyone mention their Vredestein experience before.