Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, and it makes me a little uneasy to lift the whole side of the car from one point. how sure are we that there aren't unacceptable stresses being placed by doing this?
We've seen pictures of Tesla rangers rotating this way....thats about it. I noticed that when I rotated my tires with 2 jacks that because the car is SO stiff it is hard to lift one tire without lifting both. Just getting the wheel comfortably off the ground, I went to Jack the other one and noticed it was already up!

Free rotation at Discount Tire (known as America's Tire up north--same company). Had a nail in a tire at 4500 miles and they patched it for free. I asked them to rotate at the same time since they were already working on it anyway.

We've seen pictures of Tesla rangers rotating this way....thats about it. I noticed that when I rotated my tires with 2 jacks that because the car is SO stiff it is hard to lift one tire without lifting both. Just getting the wheel comfortably off the ground, I went to Jack the other one and noticed it was already up!
Same here. After I jacked the car up with the front jack point, the rear hardly required any force to lift the rest of the way. However, I did have to buy a new low profile floor jack to fit under the ReverseLogic puck. My 25 year old floor jack was too tall.

I had the Service Center do my first tire rotation. I was paranoid hearing horror stories about shops that claim they know what to do, jacking up the car and damaging the battery. They charged me $66. Yeah, that is kinda pricey just for a rotation, but at least they didn't break my car.

The manual doesn't show (at least I couldn't find) how Tesla recommends tire rotation. Does anyone know? Is it either one of these? I believe the tires are Asymmetrical, not Unidirectional.

View attachment 366640

Look at the tires themselves. If they have an arrow on them marked "Rotation", then you have to keep the tires on the same side of the car so they're not rotating the wrong way. I.e., that would be the "Alternate" rotation pattern in your attached graphic. If directional tires are mounted the wrong way, you risk a high probability of hydroplaning in the wet.

Not sure what lift with 4 pads is, but the guys in the shop told me they cannot use the big hydraulic lifts inside the shop. They've had issues where the battery actually separated from the frame. Not sure how that happened.
All of the lifts I see at tire stores have some form of adjustable arms with pads the size of large jack pucks or similar covered in rubber
symmetric-lift-diagram.png

All of the lifts I see at tire stores have some form of adjustable arms with pads the size of large jack pucks or similar covered in rubber
symmetric-lift-diagram.png

America's Tire uses 'quick lifts', basically 2 parallel side rails with long rubber mats. These only lift like a foot or so off the floor.They have none of the 4 arm lift as shown above, which usually lift a vehicle much higher for under car services. With the low profile lift, the car drives up and over, with the side rails centered. They are wide enough to accommodate many trucks and cars. Some vehicles need some kind of spacer or pad. I was at my local AT today to rotate the tires on my wife's S70D. Interesting that they tried to use the 'quick lift' but there was not enough clearance to fit my hockey pucks on the side rails under the lifting points on the S. So they moved me to an open bay (no lift) and used 4 rolling 3 ton floor jacks. All good.