TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KKman, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JPP

JPP Active Member

My shop will use the side rail lift but I give them my 4 hockey pucks to center under the lift points.

• Like x 1
  2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

We've seen pictures of Tesla rangers rotating this way....thats about it. I noticed that when I rotated my tires with 2 jacks that because the car is SO stiff it is hard to lift one tire without lifting both. Just getting the wheel comfortably off the ground, I went to Jack the other one and noticed it was already up!

3. mwoody999

mwoody999 Member

I took my M3 today to Discount Tire and they did exactly the way mentioned above. Manual lifts, 2 on each side. Guy was all smiles taking the car in and out and said "cool car".

4. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Free rotation at Discount Tire (known as America's Tire up north--same company). Had a nail in a tire at 4500 miles and they patched it for free. I asked them to rotate at the same time since they were already working on it anyway.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

Same here. After I jacked the car up with the front jack point, the rear hardly required any force to lift the rest of the way. However, I did have to buy a new low profile floor jack to fit under the ReverseLogic puck. My 25 year old floor jack was too tall.

6. ElGuapoGuano

ElGuapoGuano Member

I had the Service Center do my first tire rotation. I was paranoid hearing horror stories about shops that claim they know what to do, jacking up the car and damaging the battery. They charged me $66. Yeah, that is kinda pricey just for a rotation, but at least they didn't break my car.

7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I made the mistake and didn't bring it in for rotation till 9k miles so had to replace both rear tires at the service center. Don't forget to rotate!

8. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Wow you had to replace tires at 9k miles?

9. K-MTG

Yup

10. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Do you floor it a lot?

11. K-MTG

Only when I have passengers in the car :) (which is very rare)

12. gilscales

gilscales Member

Just curious, how is this better than a lift with 4 pads?

13. WallyP

WallyP Member

Not sure what lift with 4 pads is, but the guys in the shop told me they cannot use the big hydraulic lifts inside the shop. They've had issues where the battery actually separated from the frame. Not sure how that happened.

14. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

What do you keep your tire pressure at?

15. Miataguy

Miataguy New Member

Look at the tires themselves. If they have an arrow on them marked "Rotation", then you have to keep the tires on the same side of the car so they're not rotating the wrong way. I.e., that would be the "Alternate" rotation pattern in your attached graphic. If directional tires are mounted the wrong way, you risk a high probability of hydroplaning in the wet.

16. K-MTG

17. gilscales

gilscales Member

All of the lifts I see at tire stores have some form of adjustable arms with pads the size of large jack pucks or similar covered in rubber
    [​IMG]

18. BigBluu

BigBluu New Member

Those aren't lifts, but simply 4 floor jacks. Or am I missing something?

19. JPP

JPP Active Member

America's Tire uses 'quick lifts', basically 2 parallel side rails with long rubber mats. These only lift like a foot or so off the floor.They have none of the 4 arm lift as shown above, which usually lift a vehicle much higher for under car services. With the low profile lift, the car drives up and over, with the side rails centered. They are wide enough to accommodate many trucks and cars. Some vehicles need some kind of spacer or pad. I was at my local AT today to rotate the tires on my wife's S70D. Interesting that they tried to use the 'quick lift' but there was not enough clearance to fit my hockey pucks on the side rails under the lifting points on the S. So they moved me to an open bay (no lift) and used 4 rolling 3 ton floor jacks. All good.

20. xdmanalo

xdmanalo Member