TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KKman, Jan 6, 2019.

1. KKman

KKman Member

Hi, I just got my first 10k mile and think I may schedule a tire rotation. Then Tesla (Dublin, CA) told me that they will charge me $87.5 and advice me to do it somewhere else, plus there is no tire warranty anyway. Is this normal? Or anyone knows any other tesla in bay area will do it for lower cost? I don't think I wanna pay 87.5 for just tire rotation.....

Attached Files:

2. shontm

shontm Member

I took my LR to Tesla service for tire rotation at 6500 miles (manual says every 6,250) and they measured no difference in tread between front and back and therefore said it wasn’t needed. So you might first measure tread on yours before rotating.

• Like x 1
  3. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I did it myself last week. You can buy all of the tools, maybe including a Harbor Freight floor jack for the same price. You only need to buy one "puck" to lift up each side.

Lift one side (you only need to jack the front jack point...it will lift both wheels), swap the wheels front to back and then repeat on the opposite side.

The only trouble I ran into was that the car was too low for my jack so I had to drive the front wheel up on wood blocks to get the jack under.

Jack pad adapter

• Informative x 3
  4. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Took mine to discount tires and they rotated for free. If I wanted them rebalanced , would have cost but just went for free service. They checked tread and rears were worn more than fronts.

• Like x 1
  5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Member

My TESLA ranger did it for free

• Like x 1
  6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Many stores do it, just ask. They have to know that it is a Tesla though

• Like x 1
  7. halfricanguy

halfricanguy Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM

When I brought mine in for service for them to fix other things, they rotated my tires for free. Surprised they’re advising you to go elsewhere, but in CA I’m sure they would rather not waste time doing tire rotations. Anyone can rotate your tires, if it makes you feel any better ask if they’ve worked on a Tesla before. From what I hear, Costco does a lot of Tesla tire rotations.

8. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I've also had my rotation done at my local Discount Tires free of charge. I've also purchased their Road Hazard Tire Protection.

9. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Tiny hijack: any need for more than a simple front<->back rotation? Say a cross pattern and such?
    If so, it would mean more hardware required to do it ourselves: i.e. jack stands.

10. JLFORBES

JLFORBES Member

The manual doesn't show (at least I couldn't find) how Tesla recommends tire rotation. Does anyone know? Is it either one of these? I believe the tires are Asymmetrical, not Unidirectional.

upload_2019-1-6_12-45-57.png

11. WallyP

WallyP Member

Americas Tire in OC CA does it for free, and they use manual lifts. I've had no issues with them. Not sure what their policy is in Bay Area?

12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I believe it's the same policy in the Bay Area. Took my gf's car in for a tire repair and they didn't charge that.

I'm assuming manual lifts doesn't have any risk of damaging the battery?

13. WallyP

WallyP Member

That is correct. The guys at the shop told me there have been battery/frame issues when using the big lifts inside the shop.

14. JPP

JPP Active Member

I routinely use America's Tire (mine is in Walnut Creek) for all tire work/rotations. Many services are free. They have worked on all 3 Teslas. And FWIW when I get a new car (like my recent Model 3) I go buy their tire warranty, so I am covered for road hazards. All good.

• Like x 1
  15. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Are their prices competitive for tires? Also, how much is their tire warranty?

16. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

So I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, and it makes me a little uneasy to lift the whole side of the car from one point. how sure are we that there aren't unacceptable stresses being placed by doing this?

• Informative x 1
  17. WallyP

WallyP Member

PSA - Smoking deal right now on Michelin MXM4 Primacy at America's Tire for $207 per tire plus $70 Michelin rebate and an additional $50 rebate from the shop if you open a credit line. Certificates for all 4 tires are $116, and Michelin warranty is 55K miles. I bought them early and asked them to store them for me until I am ready to replace and mount them. Love that shop !!

• Informative x 1
  18. JPP

JPP Active Member

America's Tire price matches legitimate quotes (including Tire Rack minus the shipping fees). When I bought the tire warranty for the 20" Michelin Pilot 4s, it cost about $220. Way cheaper than 1 new tire. And historically I have needed to replace 2 tires due to road hazards before I needed to buy a new set.

• Informative x 1
  19. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

That's a great idea. I might buy some tires with them and have them hold it till I need it too.

20. WallyP

WallyP Member

I share your concern.

This is how America's Tire lifts it which I believe is the safest. The shop in my area has a lot of Tesla business.
    Americas Tire.jpg

• Helpful x 1