TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 maximum battery size is 75kwh

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dndcruz, Mar 24, 2017.

1. dndcruz

dndcruz Member

Elon replied saying this :
    @kryniog The shorter wheelbase only allows for a 75 kWh pack in Model 3 at current cell/module energy densities.....
    So with this we can assume the largest battery size for the model 3 will be 75 kWh , makes sense why they removed the 60kwh model s , and made the entry version to 75kwh . Now we just need to know the the size of the battery of the base option

• Informative x 1
  2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Geeze, that's 25 under 100...many were speculating they could do better. Does this mean a max range of 300 miles (~250 in real world conditions most likely)? They'd better increase supercharger buildout in a major way...so far this year it's lapsing big time.

3. nd4spd569

nd4spd569 Member

300 works for me. Makes sense though with his other tweet saying MS would have more range.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

So, as I posted in the tweet thread, are/do/should we assume the 75 'max' means using 2170 cells since 'everyone knows' that the 3 is being made with 2170s? I.e., that's the 'current' density?

And thus he's referencing future enhancements for an increase over 75?

5. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

Interesting. So the top dog will be a P75D. I wander what the 0-60 will be.

6. widodh

widodh Model S 85kWh

If weighs less, is more aerodynamic and has less internal losses you use less energy per distance.

Model S is a heavy and big vehicle. A 75kWh in Model 3 might equal a 90kWh in Model S.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Rashomon

Rashomon Member

The small pack will likely be 55 kWh hours then. That should give it just over the Bolt's EPA range, with substantially better highway performance because of the better aerodynamics. The 75kWh big pack will give it over 300 miles of highway range at 75mph, and a likely EPA average overall range somewhere around 300 miles.

• Like x 2
  8. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Yes, it's the 21-70s. I expect ~3840 cells in a 96s40p arrangement. EPA range should be somewhere in the 300-330 mile area, depending on *available* capacity.

• Informative x 1
  9. dndcruz

dndcruz Member

I think 0-60 mph in about 3.4 -3.8 seconds would be realistic for the performance version , and beside the smaller battery packs couldn't output more energy , still looks fast though in the video , wonder if it's AWD or RWD

10. Big-T

Big-T Member

How could it be an AWD when Elon just said there won't be AWD on production cars for months 2 minutes before he posted the video of this pre-production car.

11. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

#11 Yggdrasill, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    It's likely RWD, being a release candidate. It should still do 0-60 in under 5 seconds, provided it has the largest battery. That's pretty fast. (A bit slower than the original Model S P85, but still fast.)

12. boaterva

Right, no AWD for months, and no 'Performance' for 'a year'.

13. dndcruz

dndcruz Member

Well beta prototypes were AWD , and release candidates aren't the productions units to be delivered ? Correct me if I'm wrong please :eek:

14. boaterva

You are correct, but they are supposed to be testing the production line and processes. I would think they would be testing what they are going to be producing (first), lol. But who the heck knows, at this point. After today's fire hose, I'm not sure what to think...

• Like x 1
  15. ElectroFroggy

ElectroFroggy Member

I was hoping for 80-85kw. Looks like the narrower body style of Model 3 equates to 25% less space for batteries.... Bummer.