Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have fitted front and rear mud flaps ( Amazon £25 approx) and they are great. Rears fit with use of an existing bolt under the bumper and replacement slightly longer plastic rivets in place of existing ones. Fronts fit in a similar fashion with replacement rivets and a screw into wheel arch plastic liner. If fitted correctly there is no movement. Also look great!

M3P+. Wht/Wht

Reactions: Roy W. and TM3PTN
Not sure if it helps anyone, but I bought a generic set off ebay (approx £15) which I think are the ones sold in many places as all the photos seem to be the same.

The rears appear to be fixed well but I wanted to avoid the top screw of the fronts just fixing into the wheel arch plastic.

I bought a set of assorted u-clips and screws from Halfords (approx £8) but you can get them on ebay too. So you need to get to the edge of the wheel arch plastic to push the u-clip on (be careful not to scratch the bodywork) and then the screw not only goes through the plastic but also the u-clip itself so spreading the load and making a stronger fixing I believe. I think I used the screws that came with the flaps rather than the u-clips as they seemed to fit ok and were black.

It does make the fixing a bit more difficult as you need to drill a new hole in the mud flap as the reach of the u-clip probably won't match the position of the existing fixing hole - you probably need to fix the u-clip higher or lower than the existing hole in the mud flap, then offer up the mud flap with bottom clips in place but not fully fixed, draw a pencil line along the inside line of the mud flap, measure back to the hole in the u-clip and then mark this same point on the mud flap to drill the hole for the screw to go through.

As I say a bit more fiddly but just feels like a slightly better fitting although I'm sure just screwing into the wheel arch plastic is fine as long as you don't over-tighten.

I was a bit nervous doing it but it turned out ok - time will tell though on longevity.

Reactions: Roy W.
Is the U-clip protected from rusting? I think there is also the question of whether the supplied screw will eventually rust too. I've been trying to find my box of stainless screws from my LandRover days but not found them yet. Hoping I will be able to use a stainless one instead of the one supplied in the kit.

I have just taken delivery of my own £15 Amazon mudflaps in white, which arrived from China in about a week (still can’t figure out how they make any money on them!)

As to fixings I have seen a YouTube video where the vlogger replaces the screws with push-fit plastic plugs.

I just fitted my £13 Chinese mudflaps and they look fine in place. I was a little stumped at first as I did not realise that you have to winkle the screwdriver between the plastic plugs and their surround to lever them out. Also I discovered a flaw in the paintwork on one of them that was worse than anything on the car itself (see close-up). However they’re on now - was fairly painless in the end. No holes were drilled as I decided to use heavy duty double-sided tape at the front. No screws used either (although supplied) as the replacement plugs were fine.

Front Rear White Splash Guards Protection Mudflaps For Tesla Model 3 2016-19 | eBay

Attachments

• AF16CC3F-0A6B-4FD8-AD82-0373C7BA1CC6.jpeg
    AF16CC3F-0A6B-4FD8-AD82-0373C7BA1CC6.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 30832ED4-93E4-456C-89B1-4637985FDA37.jpeg
    30832ED4-93E4-456C-89B1-4637985FDA37.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 27FDF7FA-F656-45B2-9D88-82BA1A0622A3.jpeg
    27FDF7FA-F656-45B2-9D88-82BA1A0622A3.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 190
Received mine today. They are very thick plastic. Some slight give but certainly not rubbery as I was expecting. No chance of bending like in the picture. Wonder if they have changed the material, but this is the current product spec that I ordered so no mention of it. I think I will be returning them unless its a perfect fit and no chance of rubbing.

View attachment 467869

The case for wanting the rubberised mud flaps

My take on mud flaps :(

If anyone has a link to a confirmed supplier of the rubberised version (rather than misleading advert), please let me know.

Lots of similar/identical mud flaps on Amazon - difficult to work out what adverts description is honest. Anyone ordered these ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/lesgos-Flaps-Splash-Fender-Fixing/dp/B07V9XKR4V

Last edited:
The driver side front is quite loose so we drilled a small hole for a screw but the lining inside the wheel well has too much ‘give’ so the flap doesn’t sit flush with the body.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do to sort?
Wheel arch liner seemed looser on the drivers side on my car as well. To conpensate I inserted a march in gaffer tape between liner and body where the screw goes into the front mudflap. Sounds odd but very simple and effective. It took all the play out of the liner and in turn the mudflap.

Reactions: TM3PTN
Wish I'd seen this thread a week ago!

Worried about the quality of Tesla black paint, I ordered some from Amazon and fitted them last weekend. The first set I got was missing some pieces, but couldn't replace as was out of stock, so I got some from a diferent vendor - and, apart from the box they arrived in, they were exactly the same.

Frankly, they look OEM. The shape of the wheel arch, location of the fittings and the perfect shape of the mud flaps ... it's too good to be some vanilla third party creation IMO. Maybe they were originally planned but dropped for whatever reason.

They real work well, haven't got caught on the road humps that plague my area, and ... amazing bonus ... they have already stopped me from curbing the front passenger wheel! This is because they stick out a bit from the car and so hit the curb before the wheel did.

still can’t figure out how they make any money on them!

its the arrangements between countries for " terminal dues" on international postal rates. Trump seems to be alone in forming up to countries saying he is pissed that all these arrangements are one-sided ... may well be some internal subsidies in China too?

Out of curiosity I did a Google, and if I've done my sums right:

UK to China Letter Max 100g £2.30 (i.e. minimum)
UK to China Small Parcel Max 2kg £5.50
1cm over max dimensions for Small Parcel 2kg = £53.30

China to UK Small Parcel 50g CNY 5 = £0.55 (i.e. minimum)
100g would be CNY 9.5 = £1.04 (Each additional 1g is CNY 0.09 = £0.0099)

China to UK Large Parcel 1kg CNY 162.3 = £17.82 (i.e. minimum)
2kg would be CNY 238.9 = £26.23 (Each additional 1kg is CNY 76.6 = £8.41)

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
I have given up getting a more comprehensive PPF because of DiretLine insurance's rules, but did you feel the need to inform your insurer of this? It might be a good compromise

my view - just a big mud flap... easily removerable with a hair drier.

Actually even easier to remove than using a hair dryer now I have actually seen it done.

I had some of my PPF replaced yesterday by an Xpel approved installer as I was not happy with the previous job done elsewhere - expensive mistake.

They needed to remove the sills and lower door panels from both sides. Peeled straight off in a few minutes without any assistance other than a bit of care and 20 years experience. Left a bit of a residue but that easily cleaned up. The old PPF would have been about 4 weeks old so would have been fully cured.

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
Actually even easier to remove than using a hair dryer now I have actually seen it done.

I had some of my PPF replaced yesterday by an Xpel approved installer as I was not happy with the previous job done elsewhere - expensive mistake.

They needed to remove the sills and lower door panels from both sides. Peeled straight off in a few minutes without any assistance other than a bit of care and 20 years experience. Left a bit of a residue but that easily cleaned up. The old PPF would have been about 4 weeks old so would have been fully cured.
As I’m also in Surrey could you perhaps say who the Xpel approved installer was?