Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received mine today. They are very thick plastic. Some slight give but certainly not rubbery as I was expecting. No chance of bending like in the picture. Wonder if they have changed the material, but this is the current product spec that I ordered so no mention of it. I think I will be returning them unless its a perfect fit and no chance of rubbing.

View attachment 467869

@pdk42 @curmudgeon any comment from either of you as to what material your supplied flaps were made of? I've contacted the seller asking if material has changed as those supplied do not match the description re flexibility.

I've got ppf on sills/rockers of car, but for some unexplained reason, the fitter went ahead without consulting me which parts I wanted wrapping and didn't bother to wrap over the lower sill part of the front arch, instead cutting it short of the wheel arch. Rear is fine. So I don't have an easy way to protect the lower sill from the mud flaps.

@pdk42 @curmudgeon any comment from either of you as to what material your supplied flaps were made of? I've contacted the seller asking if material has changed as those supplied do not match the description re flexibility.

I've got ppf on sills/rockers of car, but for some unexplained reason, the fitter went ahead without consulting me which parts I wanted wrapping and didn't bother to wrap over the lower sill part of the front arch, instead cutting it short of the wheel arch. Rear is fine. So I don't have an easy way to protect the lower sill from the mud flaps.
Mine are fairly rigid - they wouldn't bend as in that product photo you posted. But they seem pretty robust. No complaints really.

No evidence that the mud flaps affect range.

I've gone PPF and mud flaps. They have two separate benefits and PPF alone does not stop the *sugar* getting into the wrong places in the first place. I was absolutely gob smacked yesterday how much crap I had to pull out from around wheel arches in just a couple of weeks driving on urban UK roads. By looks of it, most came from the Fleet supercharger area!

20191019_091250540_iOS - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
Received mine today. They are very thick plastic. Some slight give but certainly not rubbery as I was expecting. No chance of bending like in the picture.

A lot of these types of products (mud flaps, model 3 trunk/frunk mats etc, typically made in the Far East/China and offered at very cheap prices) are advertised as being flexible/rubbery but actually contain very little rubber and certainly do not have the appearance or feel of rubber. There’s usually an accompanying picture showing the product being rolled like a cigar. Rubber is generally a more expensive material than most plastics but misleading nonetheless to advertise the product in this way.

On one side I actually put a match wrapped in gaffer tape between the liner and the bodywork, thus fixing the liner securely. No more movement of mudflap against the external paint. The other side doesnt need it. Now much less worried about paint rub.

It looks like the quality screws that come with the mudflaps are going to rust away. These stainless steel ones are a good replacement. Buy No.10 (4.8mm) x 3/4 inch (19mm) Pozi Self Tapping Flanged Button Screws (BS 4174) - Black A2 Stainless Steel | Save 45% | Accu®

Last edited:
Received mine today. They are very thick plastic. Some slight give but certainly not rubbery as I was expecting. No chance of bending like in the picture. Wonder if they have changed the material, but this is the current product spec that I ordered so no mention of it. I think I will be returning them unless its a perfect fit and no chance of rubbing.

View attachment 467869
I too ordered a set of these from Amazon, and I’ve fitted them today.

@VanillaAir_UK is right, they are nothing like as flexible as the photos suggest. Lots of similar items seem to be using the same photos though. I guess it’s pot luck what you get, unless the factory has moved on to a more rigid plastic.

Having said that, they fit very well. I don’t think there’s much chance of paint rubs.

My set arrived with all the required fixings (more than was actually needed) but no instructions. I watched a couple of YouTube videos to see if anyone had encountered problems.

Fitting was easy, it took me about an hour to clean everywhere up and then fit. The only issue I had was with the screw on the front plates. This has to screw into the flimsy plastic liner around the wheel arch. On my first attempt, I tried with a very small pilot hole, but it was like trying to screw the screw into custard :) Once I’d drilled a larger pilot hole it was no problem.

Also because you’re screwing self-tapping screws into thin plastic you need to make sure you don’t over tighten the screw, or you’ll strip the thread in the plastic.

The set I bought was about £23 delivered, but there are sets on Amazon for as little as £16 at the time of writing. Just keep an eye on delivery times though, as the cheaper ones often come direct from China and take a week or three. My set was delivered next day.

61749798-BC94-49F9-8224-947ACC0F88B2.jpeg B8078FCC-0AEB-4782-89CD-A0204AB0DE19.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CMc1
I got mine as mentioned - from amazon. The passenger side front and back fit perfectly, along with the driver side rear.
The driver side front is quite loose so we drilled a small hole for a screw but the lining inside the wheel well has too much ‘give’ so the flap doesn’t sit flush with the body.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do to sort?
I’m thinking of mentioning it to Tesla when it goes in for bumper re-alignment in two weeks...

I got mine as mentioned - from amazon. The passenger side front and back fit perfectly, along with the driver side rear.
The driver side front is quite loose so we drilled a small hole for a screw but the lining inside the wheel well has too much ‘give’ so the flap doesn’t sit flush with the body.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do to sort?
I’m thinking of mentioning it to Tesla when it goes in for bumper re-alignment in two weeks...
It may not be any help, but on one of the YouTube videos I watched the guy used 3M double-sided tape to attach the top part of the front flaps.

It may not be any help, but on one of the YouTube videos I watched the guy used 3M double-sided tape to attach the top part of the front flaps.
Thanks Roy - i'll give that a go as a temporary measure and then see if the service guys can do something with their tools.

I think it just needs the lining to be pull forward a little. Like the passenger side. They may have a different solution :)

Fitted my mud flaps today. The rears are very good because of the way they are designed with a small nib moulded in to clip around the wheel arch lip. The fronts feel less secure because of no nib and the wheel arch lining is not so secure either.The fronts could probably do with an additional lower fixing screw or the double sided tape if it’s not too late to apply. Mine were from Taptes. Overall I think that they will protect the paintwork and they look ok too.

Fitted my mud flaps today. The rears are very good because of the way they are designed with a small nib moulded in to clip around the wheel arch lip. The fronts feel less secure because of no nib and the wheel arch lining is not so secure either.The fronts could probably do with an additional lower fixing screw or the double sided tape if it’s not too late to apply. Mine were from Taptes. Overall I think that they will protect the paintwork and they look ok too.
Yeah I’ve decided on the Scotch tape addition to the front ones. You can get some really strong versions which are weatherproof so will use that on the front ones.

I think they look great on my MSM and will certainly help keep the mud from the 20” circles off the side of the car from now on.
Just need to get the front ones flush to the body - a job for tomorrow afternoon! :)

Reactions: Keeper and Roy W.
I got some of these but have not fitted as had a bit of trouble removing the existing plugs from the liner on the Model 3, seemed to require quite a bit of force, which I was a bit reluctant to do. Always a fine line between removing and breaking! Anyone else have this problem or should I just add force!??

I got some of these but have not fitted as had a bit of trouble removing the existing plugs from the liner on the Model 3, seemed to require quite a bit of force, which I was a bit reluctant to do. Always a fine line between removing and breaking! Anyone else have this problem or should I just add force!??
Are you poking your flat screwdriver into the little slot on the existing plug and levering it out? When I did this they just popped out easily. I suspect you’re trying to lever the whole plug out.