Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be a close call if they offer that brushed silver, but I think I'll go with white, with black wheels and blacked out chrome.
xYjKU0a.jpg

I AM reffering to the HUD, yes you all read that well. THE HUD, THE HUD.........
I saw a vlog about a loose HUD which you can put on your dashboard behind the wheel and can plug and play. It works ok.
So when these devices get developed more it may well end as a better solution to a fixed and built-in HUD.
It certainly is a alternative idea for driving Model 3 more save, than having to look sideways again and again at the centerscreen.
a link:

Reactions: R.S
what we are getting is a heads up display. It is just not projected. I suspect top of the display is same latitude as the projection in that video. Sure, you will have to glance a bit right. Until we experience it, we cannot know how it compares to a normal instrument cluster (where you glance down), or a projected HUD.

I'm thinking if a particularly unscrupulous person got an invite to the June Model 3 event, they could come back here and post: "Man, now I don't know what to think. If what we saw wasn't a HUD, then I don't know what is."
During Q&A: "Franz, on behalf of the members of Tesla Motors Club, where's the HUD?" *person promptly removed from the event*

...and, before anyone asks, I'm not going to be the one to ask him that question. ;)

Well, I think this set confirms it for me. I'll be paying for a wheel upgrade, assuming these are the base wheels. These just look like a wheel with the center cap missing to me. Hopefully they have another style in the smaller size - I'm not enamored with low profile tires, and will take the practicality (mileage, less chance of damage) of smaller wheels.

When it comes to the interior, the big question is how will the general public like it? If the opinion is split here in tesla fanboy land, I dont know how your average consumer or non tesla enthusiasts will like it. If they dont like it, then it could be trouble for sales, which is abig deal since the model 3 gamble is a big one. Right or wrong, people expect certain things with their car's interior... and so far the argument for the interior is that you wont care, not that this new take on a minimalist interior is better than what we have in other cars.
Spot on. Every post in this forum is gushing with enthusiasm and bodily fluids over everything Tesla and Musk does. I mean, it's natural; this is an enthusiast forum. The people here are willing to accept change and have great faith in Musk.

Everything Tesla has done so far sorta makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but the one thing I can't wrap my head around is why they are taking such a huge risk on an already risky car. The whole point of Tesla was to give people what they want in an electric package to accelerate sustainable transportation. The attitude of "you won't care" does not strike me as furthering this goal. You need to create something that is both novel and desirable and Tesla absolutely nailed that with Model S. People want a Model 3 because it's supposed to be a baby S.

I'm not sure people will want a Model 3 when they find out it's a drastic departure from the design and functionality Model S laid the groundwork for. It doesn't make sense to force people's hands now in such a pivotal moment of Tesla's future. It's a risk that doesn't need to be risky. You potentially alienate the crowd that goes "wtf" at the interior, and I don't think that crowd is a minority if even fanboys are having doubts. The interior will be foreign to all car buyers. It will be off-putting to many of those people. You create a normal interior and Model 3 is wildly successful. This isn't a high risk high reward situation. It's high risk with the same reward as a low risk solution. I was certain Tesla would hit it out of the park with Model 3, but now I'm not so sure. Is this really what people want? Or are people just "okay" with it? Is sighing in acceptance what sells cars?

tumblr_m0tq0c3odQ1qe6dvp.gif

The big question is all implementation, IMO: did they organize the screen elements well or did it end up cluttered and hard to find stuff you wanted? Was the touchscreen and UI very responsive or did the digital speedometer hiccup and stutter at times? Were the slit-vents powerful enough to cool backseat passengers on a hot day?

People can adapt to new things. But if it's new and not-quite-thought-out, then you lose a chunk of the population.
Totally understand your point, but is all of that something you want to take a chance with when it comes to a very demanding and unforgiving segment of car buyers? Model 3's design just seems like it's asking for trouble.

Yeah - if most reservation holders are just seeking for a good-looking EV to upgrade to - presumably from a Toyota, Honda, or similar ICE car - then they probably won't care if about materials. Bonus that the car will carry the Tesla name, which some casual consumers will recognize as a previously out-of-reach brand option. I mean, I like the leather in my Acura, but never had it before and can certainly live with cloth seats in a Tesla!
This is awful. You're justifying a sub-par interior of an expensive car simply because potential buyers haven't owned an expensive car and therefore have no clue what to expect? Do you think people willing to shell out $35k are really so naive?

What about the supposed competition for Model 3? Those people are familiar with the luxury level of a $35k vehicle. Is Model 3 only supposed to snatch up business of mid-level Toyota and Honda buyers? This right here is a huge problem, because while I'm sure many people who own those types of cars just care about getting from point A to point B, something tells me that many more own those brands because they can't afford anything more expensive. If your business model is banking on upselling people who buy budget cars, you're in for a bad time.

Well, I think this set confirms it for me. I'll be paying for a wheel upgrade, assuming these are the base wheels. These just look like a wheel with the center cap missing to me. Hopefully they have another style in the smaller size - I'm not enamored with low profile tires, and will take the practicality (mileage, less chance of damage) of smaller wheels.

I've actually been wondering if we will see a cover for the lugs for the smaller wheel the same way the larger "turbine" Model 3 wheels were shown with the CF covers but have been lacking them with the photographed RCs.

It's for certain there will have to be SOME kind of center cap, as they won't leave the hub uncovered, or maybe you only get center caps with the "better" Model S&X! :p

Here are the rears to compare...

For me the rear is not displaying as evident changes as the front, the more we see rear shots. But does it look to you as well that the rear bumper of the left/right side extended higher up in the old prototype while on the new release candidate the sheet metal is extending lower? Perhaps just the angle of the cars.

From some of the shots I could also believe that the outboard parts of the rear lights could also lift up with the trunk, but I agree that in the white shot, the old shape would seem the probable one. Trouble lining components up seems more likely in some cases. ;)

Also perhaps the shape of the charge port door seems to have changed, though, on its bottom right corner?

But yeah, while there are chances of subtle changes and even bigger changes inside that are not seen, the trunk is mostly as we know it externally. Whether or not they have managed to expand the interior of the opening remains to be seen.

New:

img_3934-jpg.224758

Old:

2017-Tesla-Model-3-rear-end.jpg

And earlier shorts from side:

New:

Tesla-Model-3-release-candidate-side-profile.jpg

Old:

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-test-mule-SpaceX.jpg
Wow. I thought the alphas were too tall, but that spy shot makes the thing look top heavy. WAYYY too tall and narrow. It looks dorky and like it's about to fall over. Far from the lean, mean, sleek machine the Model S is. Are we sure this isn't Model Y? Maybe Tesla will come out with an actual affordable sedan in a few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.