Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New model 3 pic. With revealing something new here. A 3rd break light

Attachments

• IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 100
New model 3 pic. With revealing something new here. A 3rd break light
it was posted a few posts up by @ZeApelido :)
and the 3rd brake looks the same to me as the other RCs and alphas - all along the bottom of the window and about the same width. maybe Im missing something...
Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 6.14.37 AM.png

tWC8tYhFbU3_HHVaHyuTRoE46AaxC1UhWUHhLVEr8bHtB5Mzu-rjfKlJwGZzID4t06EiigcUQo58VvBxFK4zSjM3tprFS6CQcA2R2mCDwA2WpBpbO9RQ8UrmhfEh-i9TPCZ3O71lqn4PrY_eERm5K_XlPSappdwPouzlBrJ3oYL5EkA6LMHAM_GkPVHh4goCGsP9HK1svWxXcqGoina9gACWBUMB0LMTvL0xzkc3eflBJok59omcHFxR-dqAvVlrfkQ1EHQMuNBAv8B2uzI_RTaqtCDw_HwJ3V1OHNgqgjfq4LRStWxAIxMM4vV9HwVszZWXeKfypv9r5xiAnuwhoHNIhRIUCID9gx8Ucs0qblQ7py3rmi94G8ehk9X-3czaCSPxEmYrp2cQ40mI5KWgH40H1lJU-lZoFxESPCYU1EgRHNgd5tK7AGOZD_zImNpDmXWMpIVSTdK5TFNBgXRfaxWu6y_dizivIB6LTEY3hM-QmEdut1zq6acszkQIez-_yxScXjVM2d4kSvQRNBoClG-bu2Ox1TXnT8OTrFB3-6EIP6iapKVB6TsP8BLJAXUnkDVuxHNbTEBSO2VYVChI2B1PoTMLvpgjbjhpf2K19xyn7LgQu1hk72XQw9mZnzTgqCgdao_fWLvDoGkKJtJpyncRoOcZP8e2Y2o_Bs4PfB4=w1326-h477-no

what does seem different in each is how the tail light brake lights up and assume we would end up with something like the taillights in the silver phototype pix

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The taillights haven't changed since the initial reveal. The brake light is the small thin line in the center (outermost) portion of the light. The only difference in the photos above is the black RC didn't have it's lights on, whereas the silver alpha does.

The taillights haven't changed since the initial reveal. The brake light is the small thin line in the center (outermost) portion of the light. The only difference in the photos above is the black RC didn't have it's lights on, whereas the silver alpha does.
The Alpha's entire lights brighten when the bakes are on, but these RC's seem to only light up the middle section when the brake is pressed. It's not just me right?????

Reactions: melindav
The reason why they are higher on the Model S, is because of the hatch. Break lights must not be on moving parts, in the US.
Based on the fact that the Model X third brake (not "break"!) light is part of the spoiler which is attached to the hatch and there is a "moving part" by your definition, what you are saying about US regulations is incorrect.

2016-Tesla-Model-X-spoiler.JPG.jpg

Based on the fact that the Model X third brake (not "break"!) light is part of the spoiler which is attached to the hatch and there is a "moving part" by your definition, what you are saying about US regulations is incorrect.

2016-Tesla-Model-X-spoiler.JPG.jpg

Yea, I think it isn't mandatory for the 3rd brake light, but I am definitely sure that the Model X has an additional one, since only the PDs have that spoiler and a 3rd brake light is mandatory.

For the regular brake lights it is mandatory to at least have spare ones, that aren't on movable parts.
Which lead to some hilarious designs:
Unknown-1.jpeg

Or even better:
california-1.jpg

Those big round things have no purpose, the brake lights are the small illuminated ones that look like an afterthought.

The reason why they are higher on the Model S, is because of the hatch. Break lights must not be on moving parts, in the US. So with the 3 being a sedan, the 3rd break lights can be lower.

That's not quite right. The regulation says that all the lights cannot be on movable surfaces, not any.
Not sure if this is the exact location, but here is the relevant part I found:
S6.1.3 Mounting location.
S6.1.3.1 Each lamp, reflective device, and item of associated equipment must be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle, other than glazing, that is not designed to be removed except for repair, within the mounting location and height limits as specified in Table I, and in a location where it complies with all applicable photometric requirements, effective projected luminous lens area requirements, and visibility requirements with all obstructions considered.
S6.1.3.2 When multiple lamp arrangements for rear turn signal lamps, stop lamps, or taillamps are used, with only a portion of the lamps installed on a fixed part of the vehicle, the lamp or lamps that are installed to the non-fixed part of the vehicle will be considered auxiliary lamps.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2016-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2016-title49-vol6-sec571-108.xml

Reactions: R.S
Yea, I think it isn't mandatory for the 3rd brake light, but I am definitely sure that the Model X has an additional one, since only the PDs have that spoiler and a 3rd brake light is mandatory.
I'm not sure what your talking about. I have a non-performance Model X, that has exactly 3 brake lights, and one of them is mounted in the spoiler as that photo shows. The difference is that with performance the spoiler is adjustable, and can completely retract when the car is off. Mine is fixed at that height.

Reactions: R.S
Status
Not open for further replies.