Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My expectations are fine. I was being sarcastic because, aside from the solar roof nonsense, the trunk seemed be one of the biggest topics of concern for some people. So I figure that once the final version is shown, people are going to dissect it in every way possible and exclaim that the world is ending because it isn't a hatchback, or the opening is too small, or the opening is too low, or it isn't deep enough, or some other silliness.

Agreed. And my advice: stop whining and cancel your pre-order. The more tweakers drop out the faster I get my car. Then they'll see one in real life and re-order :).

Or a base S.

The base Model S is gone ... Tesla is discontinuing its least expensive Model S with 60 kWh battery pack next month

April 16th, 2017 will be the last day to order the Model S 60 and 60D. The vehicles were the least expensive models that customers could purchase from Tesla – starting at $68,000. The Model S 60 and 60D were equipped with 75 kWh battery packs software-locked to 60 kWh. Owners were able to unlock the remaining 15 kWh through a software update for a fee at any time after the purchase if they decided that they wanted more capacity.

It comes as Tesla is preparing to launch the Model 3, which should start at $35,000, but higher performance versions are expected to be offered at higher prices closer to the price of the Model S. It would make sense for Tesla to try to create a bigger gap between the two vehicles. The base version of the Model 3 is expected to feature a battery pack smaller than 60 kWh and we reported that Tesla has been driving a Model 3 test mule with a 70 kWh battery pack. Now that Tesla’s least powerful option for the Model S is about to become a 75 kWh battery pack, it would make sense that the less expensive Model 3 would have an option below the more expensive Model S.

My expectations are fine. I was being sarcastic because, aside from the solar roof nonsense, the trunk seemed be one of the biggest topics of concern for some people. So I figure that once the final version is shown, people are going to dissect it in every way possible and exclaim that the world is ending because it isn't a hatchback, or the opening is too small, or the opening is too low, or it isn't deep enough, or some other silliness.
One person's silliness is another person's need. The reason it has been one of the biggest topics is because many people need the trunk perform certain tasks. They're important to people or vehicles wouldn't have them at all. Personally, I couldn't car less about the back seats. They could rip them out and weld the rear doors shut and I'd be just fine, but obviously they're important to many others.

Reactions: Petra and GSP
One person's silliness is another person's need. The reason it has been one of the biggest topics is because many people need the trunk perform certain tasks. They're important to people or vehicles wouldn't have them at all. Personally, I couldn't car less about the back seats. They could rip them out and weld the rear doors shut and I'd be just fine, but obviously they're important to many others.
I wasn't saying that their opinion of the trunk was silly, it was the threads that went on for hundreds of posts, repeating the same things over and over again, usually by the same few people, the declaring that the lack of a hatch was the doom of the model 3, etc. All of that was silly.

I wasn't saying that their opinion of the trunk was silly, it was the threads that went on for hundreds of posts, repeating the same things over and over again, usually by the same few people, the declaring that the lack of a hatch was the doom of the model 3, etc. All of that was silly.
Oh, it has only just begun.

Unless of course they surprise us and actually make a noticeably larger opening:).....
but no matter what is done it will get sliced and dices a hundred different ways. Can't wait!!
I meant that the trunk is just the start. Soon, we'll have rear visibility complaints, soft paint, tire selections, turn signal indicator location, UI issues, etc. Tune in and buckle up.

Last edited:
You just described about 95% of the thread on TMC.

All this hatchback love is crazy
1) the Toyota Camry the best selling car in the us has a TRUNK
2) the noise from a hatchback drives me crazy
3) give me a trunk
4) if your so in love with a hatchback buy a model s or something else maybe your in line in front of me and I will get my model 3 with a TRUNK sooner!!!!

The foreign markets much prefer hatchbacks compared to the US market. With demand as high as it is I don't see them making a hatchback version ever and just push those that require it to the Y.

All this hatchback love is crazy
1) the Toyota Camry the best selling car in the us has a TRUNK
2) the noise from a hatchback drives me crazy
3) give me a trunk
4) if your so in love with a hatchback buy a model s or something else maybe your in line in front of me and I will get my model 3 with a TRUNK sooner!!!!
It's not just hatch lovers that are complaining. Even many trunk fans are disappointed with the opening of the 3.

It's not just hatch lovers that are complaining. Even many trunk fans are disappointed with the opening of the 3.
those complaining are not the same that have been within touching distance of the car, but going off photos. Point me to someone that was at the reveal event that thought the trunk opening was too small to be usable.
what do you all think fits in a car anyway? It's not a pickup or SUV.

A truly aerodynamic shape would be a hideous abomination of a car that nobody would be caught dead driving.

Says you. For me, I find that cars are prettier the more aerodynamic they become. On a scale of [Element, Cube, Hummer] to [Jaguar, Tesla], aerodynamics and beauty are at the far right. The Model 3's ugly parts are precisely those parts which are compromises away from aerodynamics towards safety, regulations, or functionality.

Thank you kindly

Reactions: N5329K and Chris L
Status
Not open for further replies.