Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it matters that they are skipping the betas and going right to the RC. I assume they'll still have to do the same testing regardless of what they call it.
Exactly. If the cars they are building now far exceed the criteria they had set for betas, why not just skip that stage and go directly to RC. Sort of like the smart kid skipping a grade in school.

I know Elon is trying his damnedest to get the base Model 3 up to ~ 240 miles EPA, which was the advantage of letting GM drop the Bolt first. They laid their cards out, and now Tesla has an opportunity to best that, and I think they will.
Has the 238 mile number been corroborated yet? I've been out of touch but last I heard, that was Chevy's claim and a lot of people raised their eyebrows. I heard a couple reports of reviewers getting 240-250 driving low speed mountain roads which was supposed to back up Chevy's claim, but in actuality made people's eyebrows travel even higher, wondering what the true highway range really was.

Has the 238 mile number been corroborated yet? I've been out of touch but last I heard, that was Chevy's claim and a lot of people raised their eyebrows. I heard a couple reports of reviewers getting 240-250 driving low speed mountain roads which was supposed to back up Chevy's claim, but in actuality made people's eyebrows travel even higher, wondering what the true highway range really was.

2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

EPA-rated 238 miles. They need official EPA verification on the range before they can make any deliveries (see the recent 100D delivery delay).

I'd rather have 215 miles and the supercharger network rather than 238 miles and DC fastcharging/Level 2 to rely on.
And I'm not exactly an anti-GM guy! ;)

Unless they upped it after the Bolt reveal I really think the base Model 3 will have a 55kw battery. A 50 would have been a real stretch to hit 215 and a 60 would have been overkill for that number.
In the cold Northeast, I'd also rather have a few extra miles for range. Luckily, it appears I'll be able to get both.

Reactions: Bangor Bob
With this quote in the investor call I'm thinking we better get ready to spot Mules, or horses, is that better than a mule as we may have passed the mules.
"Finally, Musk said that they expect to be driving the release candidates “in a week or two”.

Additional comments from Elon on the conference call with investors:
Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk details the 5 minute delivery process, paperwork & instruction videos to be sent ahead of time

He also elaborated on the company’s ideas to streamline the delivery process for the Model 3. Last month, he said that Tesla doesn’t plan to invest in “stores” in the short-term because they don’t think they will need to create demand for the vehicle, but they plan to invest in deliveries:

“The delivery of the cars is where the investment is needed. We need to deliver three or four times as many cars. But we don’t want to have three or four times as many delivery centers. How do we make that delivery process more streamlined, less paperwork, less bureaucracy and get people really ahead of time with really well-produced instruction videos for how to use their car. And well, of course, the best instruction is like not having instructions. And you will actually be able to play all of the instructions needed for your car on your car.”

During the call yesterday, Musk added that they plan for the process to be reduced from an hour to about 5 minutes. They plan to not only send the instructional videos ahead of time but also the paperwork, which again should be simpler. New customers could be in and out in minutes with their new car.

If production candidates are hitting streets in a few weeks, what exactly are they waiting to do 3rd reveal until June for? Photos are going to be leaked everywhere. Must be something they're not telling us *ahem* HUD *ahem*

I wish everyone would let the HUD thing go at this point....if we get it, we get it, but if not....hey, by all means, jump out of line. LOL

But I do tend to agree that at this point, they don't gain a whole lot by not having Reveal 3 sometime soon.

"Production Candidates" means there aren't many tweaks left to be made, and they can probably still keep a few details under wraps until the employees get access to the Design Studio in April or May.

Maybe we will get some news on the 1 year anniversary of Reveal 1.

Reactions: ccutrer
There are a lot of features that won't be apparent from pictures taken of the outside of a car.

It all depends on whether or not they make any stops, or if they tint the windows especially dark.

From the video that came out last week of the silver Reveal 1 Mule, it was readily apparent it was the same car when you saw the interior (since they had the windows down).

Chances are, these new ones will be just a little more "camera shy" until Reveal 3 takes place.

Reactions: wilhelmspencer
There are a lot of features that won't be apparent from pictures taken of the outside of a car.
I'm looking forward to all of the detailed analysis posts on the trunk - complete with photoshopped angles and lines, geometric calculations, allowances for the angle of the photo, armchair engineering figures, and consideration for relative height of the sun and time of day.

Manage your expectations.
Trunk is going to stay exactly the same.
They might have thinned inner rubber sealing a bit, gaining an inch.

CfeZuKGWwAQ5BkX.jpg

And that is it.
Fine with me.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Manage your expectations.
Trunk is going to stay exactly the same.
They might have thinned inner rubber sealing a bit, gaining an inch.

My expectations are fine. I was being sarcastic because, aside from the solar roof nonsense, the trunk seemed be one of the biggest topics of concern for some people. So I figure that once the final version is shown, people are going to dissect it in every way possible and exclaim that the world is ending because it isn't a hatchback, or the opening is too small, or the opening is too low, or it isn't deep enough, or some other silliness.

Reactions: vgrinshpun
Status
Not open for further replies.