Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I'm not advocating teaching manual transmission nowadays. But back in the day when my kids were learning to drive, they were still around. Plus my older son had his heart set on a used sports coupe (he paid for most of it) and it came with a stick. I was just citing that as an analogy for not getting a new driver too dependent on a specific technology that isn't universally available with other cars they may be called upon to drive at any given time.
Yeah, I've got about 5 years. Driving a manual vehicle will be a must-learn skill in my view, but I'm hopeful that autonomy is getting solid or is at least a huge part of safety features on vehicles.

Oh, I'm not advocating teaching manual transmission nowadays. But back in the day when my kids were learning to drive, they were still around. Plus my older son had his heart set on a used sports coupe (he paid for most of it) and it came with a stick. I was just citing that as an analogy for not getting a new driver too dependent on a specific technology that isn't universally available with other cars they may be called upon to drive at any given time.

True, and good point. Since my wife and I don't have kids yet, I'm thinking there will be a seismic shift in how we "drive" by the time any potential spawn have to get behind a wheel. So just within my own lifetime (I'm only 40), things will have changed A LOT.

Taught my daughter to drive in the Triumph two years ago. The car is very, very manual (transmission, brakes, etc), and so she has a much better idea about speed/energy management and how cars go than she would have had learning in a pod/barge.
Robin
under the bonnet.jpg

we're already miles ahead of where I was learning to drive.....

in ~17 years, there might be absolutely zero reason to learn what a stickshift was for.

in 1993, my dad insisted I take my driving test on a stick.
Um yeah. My wife does not know how to drive a stick, and it has not been a problem. Definitely not going to be a problem 17 years from now. I last drove a stick about 11 years ago, and that was only to take a spin in someone else's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.