Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuning the drive-by-wire Model 3's performance (braking response or steering sensitivity for example) is a software exercise. It's not impossible to imagine the BMW is equipped to transmit key parameters to the Model 3's driver, who then tries them out in the 3. That's if you only want to match the BMW. Surpassing it should not be nearly the challenge of convincing people that one screen is all they really want or need.
Robin

Spy shots of the production candidate spotted in Los Altos Hills recently:
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-ful...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
That spoiler really is huge and ridiculous-looking. I'm starting to think it's not just the reflection or color either. It seems tacked-on and the edges don't seamlessly flow into the body like on the X.

Front also looks a little weird. The hard creases on the alpha were one thing, but at least it was consistent. There was an aggressive design intent and they stuck with it. Now Tesla went and compromised that aggression by blending the sides, while keeping the front crisp, and it seems muddled and inconsistent. I think I prefer the prototype.

And then there's the interior... was Elon's idea of "spaceship controls" just putting silly red LEDs in the dash that presumably slide back and forth like a robot talking?

The headlights are wayyyyy different and look awful, frankly. I sure hope those are just for testing because we lost all those beautiful lines in favor of blocky chunks.

And the overall shape just seems a little too puffy and fat and bulbous. Part of it has to do with the small hood that doesn't extend far enough beyond the wheels. There's also not enough horizontal-ness on the trunk like the S. It looks like the X. It's amazing; it doesn't take much to make the car look like a CUV vs sedan, but a little elongation OR smoother transition to horizontal (and then slope back up into the spoiler) would make Model 3 look so much sleeker and less like a van. But, you lose out on aerodynamics by doing that. That's why the X has the same Cd as the S even though it's taller.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
I think the under side of the spoiler where it "connects" to the trunk has a sharper fold, which makes the spoiler look bigger.
After seeing this angle I think it might be the same as the alpha. Couldn't find this exact angle from the silver one last year. Maybe it's just the darker colors that cause the bigger spoiler effect from a certain angle. :confused:

This also shows the new "break" on the side of the tail light, which I don't believe would allow the trunk to open there.

ee1603c7f9e9d9f469a373baa2b12404ca6550876cfddfdd22f1116543926ebc.png

Last edited:
Remember that Cd is shape dependent and independent of frontal area. So while the Cd on the X may be equal to that on the S, the overall aero drag on the X is higher due to the increased height/frontal area.
I understand. I'm saying if the X had the same rear shape as the S, it would have a higher Cd. But if the S had the same rear shape as the X, it would have a lower Cd.

Model 3 takes the shape of the S, which is already very aerodynamic, and then adds the rear of the X which makes it more aerodynamic, then adds the stubby front of the X which makes it even more aerodynamic.

After seeing this angle I think it might be the same as the alpha. Couldn't find this exact angle from silver one last year. Maybe it's just the darker colors that causes the bigger spoiler effect from a certain angle. :confused:

I think what's jarring is the separation of taillight from the spoiler. There's no way to blend the taillight in a little better? Both the S and the X do a much better job of that. This would reduce turbulence as well. Really makes the spoiler look out of place. It looks unfinished.

upload_2017-4-6_18-45-34.png

Here is the X:

upload_2017-4-6_18-47-18.png

See how it blends nicely into the taillight?

Also I don't really like this. What's up with that?
upload_2017-4-6_18-50-32.png

Model S and X continue a smooth transition between the body panel and trunk.

upload_2017-4-6_18-52-22.png

upload_2017-4-6_18-56-14.png

upload_2017-4-6_18-53-48.png

The 3 trunk panel just kinda sinks in, killing the seamless flowing continuity of it all.

upload_2017-4-6_18-57-33.png

The fact that Tesla intentionally adds a lip makes it stand out even more, and not in a good way.

Honestly, the more I look at the subtle details of Model 3's design, the more it looks like they just smushed an S and X together, then intentionally made it worse. There are so many unfinished design cues on Model 3 that S/X nail down perfectly. It makes no sense, and you wouldn't expect Tesla to get worse at designing cars over time. And here we all thought Elon would never, and I mean never, intentionally cripple Model 3 because his only interest was making the best car possible at the best price. It really does look like they went the polar opposite direction by just making 3 a worse S/X. You don't see that with other car manufacturers. The designs might be better or worse, but they generally have their own identity. The cheaper cars are not just the same thing as their bigger brothers but without the refined details.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-6_18-43-30.png
    upload_2017-4-6_18-43-30.png
    410 KB · Views: 53
After seeing this angle I think it might be the same as the alpha. Couldn't find this exact angle from the silver one last year. Maybe it's just the darker colors that cause the bigger spoiler effect from a certain angle. :confused:

This also shows the new "break" on the side of the tail light, which I don't believe would allow the trunk to open there.

Is that the charge port? Its totally dark on the other side. No red reflector or anything.

I absolutely love the larger spoiler. Its really really nice.

I think the headlights are just one 'boltable' part that isn't ready for scale production yet, and hence looks very unfinished. They are likely opening and adjusting the fitment inside for testing. The charge door would also fall in to my theory of unfinished production parts.

I'm very interested to see inside the charge door. I find it hard to imagine that the S/X tesla port will be good for '350kW+' charging, as elon hinted. Will it have that plug for compatibility and a new plug for supercharger 3? CCS 1? I think the tapered design of the charge door would have room for two ports. (How's that for wild speculation?)

I'm in Australia, and the S/X have the mennekes plug here like in Europe, so CCS 2 would be an easy transition for us. Trickier in USA.

Edit: Seeing as these are all being spotted in the same location - it's about time someone camped out there for a day with a 4K drone to get some sizzle reel model 3 footage!

I think what's jarring is the separation of taillight from the spoiler. There's no way to blend the taillight in a little better? Both the S and the X do a much better job of that. This would reduce turbulence as well. Really makes the spoiler look out of place. It looks unfinished.

View attachment 221555

Here is the X:

View attachment 221556

See how it blends nicely into the taillight?

Also I don't really like this. What's up with that?
View attachment 221557

Model S and X continue a smooth transition between the body panel and trunk.

View attachment 221558
View attachment 221561
View attachment 221559

The 3 trunk panel just kinda sinks in, killing the seamless flowing continuity of it all.

View attachment 221562

The fact that Tesla intentionally adds a lip makes it stand out even more, and not in a good way.

Honestly, the more I look at the subtle details of Model 3's design, the more it looks like they just smushed an S and X together, then intentionally made it worse. There are so many unfinished design cues on Model 3 that S/X nail down perfectly. It makes no sense, and you wouldn't expect Tesla to get worse at designing cars over time. And here we all thought Elon would never, and I mean never, intentionally cripple Model 3 because his only interest was making the best car possible at the best price. It really does look like they went the polar opposite direction by just making 3 a worse S/X. You don't see that with other car manufacturers. The designs might be better or worse, but they generally have their own identity. The cheaper cars are not just the same thing as their bigger brothers but without the refined details.
Remember the Alpha didn't have a charge port on the rear lights. Looks like the new model does. "Possibly on both sides".

Lastly...I love the rear lip. I think its great.

I don't see how that has anything to do with the lazy spoiler design? Both S and X have charging ports and do a great job at not only integrating the spoiler gracefully, but arguably making it look better. Model 3 does neither.
I wasn't commenting on the spoiler design. I was commenting on the rear light design compared to the Alpha.

I absolutely love the new spoiler design. Its graceful enough for me. I like the fact that everything isn't smooth in the back. Let the expensive cars keep that.

That spoiler really is huge and ridiculous-looking. I'm starting to think it's not just the reflection or color either. It seems tacked-on and the edges don't seamlessly flow into the body like on the X.

Front also looks a little weird. The hard creases on the alpha were one thing, but at least it was consistent. There was an aggressive design intent and they stuck with it. Now Tesla went and compromised that aggression by blending the sides, while keeping the front crisp, and it seems muddled and inconsistent. I think I prefer the prototype.

And then there's the interior... was Elon's idea of "spaceship controls" just putting silly red LEDs in the dash that presumably slide back and forth like a robot talking?

The headlights are wayyyyy different and look awful, frankly. I sure hope those are just for testing because we lost all those beautiful lines in favor of blocky chunks.

And the overall shape just seems a little too puffy and fat and bulbous. Part of it has to do with the small hood that doesn't extend far enough beyond the wheels. There's also not enough horizontal-ness on the trunk like the S. It looks like the X. It's amazing; it doesn't take much to make the car look like a CUV vs sedan, but a little elongation OR smoother transition to horizontal (and then slope back up into the spoiler) would make Model 3 look so much sleeker and less like a van. But, you lose out on aerodynamics by doing that. That's why the X has the same Cd as the S even though it's taller.
Initially I felt the same way as you but then I remembered how much better the ex looks in person then it doesn't pictures hopefully will be the same case here

Reactions: Garlan Garner
General opinion is that there has been no changes to the cars. Much of what people think they are seeing seems to be an effect of the colour. Yes, charge port. Speculation that perhaps the other side will have a different charging plug (but I doubt it).
I see changes, however they have already been mentioned.

Less "duck like" in the front
Inclusion of cameras
Charge port
Longer spoiler
Special coatings on the rear glass - as it is with the Model 2 and Model X
trunk design a little different - however i don't care about that so I didn't investigate why it looks different to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.