Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the long rear spoiler effect the drag?

Side note: that trunk panel gap is terrible
ee1603c7f9e9d9f469a373baa2b12404ca6550876cfddfdd22f1116543926ebc.png

I think what's jarring is the separation of taillight from the spoiler. There's no way to blend the taillight in a little better? Both the S and the X do a much better job of that. This would reduce turbulence as well. Really makes the spoiler look out of place. It looks unfinished.

View attachment 221555

Here is the X:

View attachment 221556

See how it blends nicely into the taillight?

Also I don't really like this. What's up with that?
View attachment 221557

Model S and X continue a smooth transition between the body panel and trunk.

View attachment 221558
View attachment 221561
View attachment 221559

The 3 trunk panel just kinda sinks in, killing the seamless flowing continuity of it all.

View attachment 221562

The fact that Tesla intentionally adds a lip makes it stand out even more, and not in a good way.

Honestly, the more I look at the subtle details of Model 3's design, the more it looks like they just smushed an S and X together, then intentionally made it worse. There are so many unfinished design cues on Model 3 that S/X nail down perfectly. It makes no sense, and you wouldn't expect Tesla to get worse at designing cars over time. And here we all thought Elon would never, and I mean never, intentionally cripple Model 3 because his only interest was making the best car possible at the best price. It really does look like they went the polar opposite direction by just making 3 a worse S/X. You don't see that with other car manufacturers. The designs might be better or worse, but they generally have their own identity. The cheaper cars are not just the same thing as their bigger brothers but without the refined details.

You have more of an eye than I do and frankly I guess I don't give a hoot too much about the things you are pointing out but it is interesting that you make a big deal of it. I'm much more interested in an ability to stretch my legs than how the tail lights look or headlights or spoilers. I am not buying a piece of art, I'm buying something I hope will become a pretty much autonomous electric taxi in a few more years. Maybe you like the new Hyundai better.

In my opinion:
  • Less "duck like" in the front - an illusionary
  • Inclusion of cameras -- maybe -- other suggestions fingerprint scanner for taxi service
  • Charge port -- yes, unfinished at this point, it would seem
  • Longer spoiler -- not sure about that, but perhaps
  • Special coatings on the rear glass - as it is with the Model 2 and Model X -- yes!
  • trunk design a little different -- illusionary

You have more of an eye than I do and frankly I guess I don't give a hoot too much about the things you are pointing out but it is interesting that you make a big deal of it. I'm much more interested in an ability to stretch my legs than how the tail lights look or headlights or spoilers. I am not buying a piece of art, I'm buying something I hope will become a pretty much autonomous electric taxi in a few more years. Maybe you like the new Hyundai better.
I think it's fair to be critical of something that will be the most expensive purchase in many of our lives aside from maybe a home.

Is this what we are getting? The screen looks totally out of place against the dash. In fact it looks like a DIY tablet attachment contraption fixed to the dash. Why should the screen be floating anyway? Tesla you can do better.

Because this is the only way to have a large screen and a thin dash.
Most cars from Audi, BMW and Mercedes have adopted this "tablet" on a stand look for many years now, and no one complained.

So I think the Model 3 PC has become less angular and more rounded as evidenced by this nose comparison. Notice the angular crease line just below the front headlights on the lower pics and the one on the right. The PC pic in the upper left no longer has this angular crease line. Man, I really hope some aftermarket folks bring back the old alpha front end. Looks so much nicer / more premium.
View attachment 221509

View attachment 221509

This image is most telling I think. The ridge on the 'old' model 3 was sharp. the 'new' (RC) model 3 has softer edges.

The sides used to run down to the front most corner of the corner fog lights. Now it runs along to the top of those lights. Subtle, but definite changes.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Initially I felt the same way as you but then I remembered how much better the ex looks in person then it doesn't pictures hopefully will be the same case here
Fair point, but I'm not a fan of this kind of thinking. A beautiful car should be beautiful from every angle, in pictures, and in person. Many cars meet this criteria. Something is wrong with the design if the car doesn't look good from normal viewing angles and in photographs.

Fair point, but I'm not a fan of this kind of thinking. A beautiful car should be beautiful from every angle, in pictures, and in person. Many cars meet this criteria. Something is wrong with the design if the car doesn't look good from normal viewing angles and in photographs.

But I don't understand your concern though. The rear end of Model 3 looks just as good as Model S/X. The only major difference is the lack of the chrome strip, which makes the Model S/X more "premium". So apart from the lack of the chrome strip, I definitely did not see any evidence that they intentionally made the Model 3 look worse or inferior.

I don't understand your point of tail light being "separate" from the spoiler. The tail light of Model 3 is slightly protruding to make the spoiler look less protruding. And the lip above the license plate is to replace the chrome strip. And I think the boot shut line is flush just like Model S/X.

I think the headlights are just one 'boltable' part that isn't ready for scale production yet, and hence looks very unfinished. They are likely opening and adjusting the fitment inside for testing. The charge door would also fall in to my theory of unfinished production parts.

I'm very interested to see inside the charge door. I find it hard to imagine that the S/X tesla port will be good for '350kW+' charging, as elon hinted. Will it have that plug for compatibility and a new plug for supercharger 3? CCS 1? I think the tapered design of the charge door would have room for two ports. (How's that for wild speculation?)

I'm in Australia, and the S/X have the mennekes plug here like in Europe, so CCS 2 would be an easy transition for us. Trickier in USA.

Edit: Seeing as these are all being spotted in the same location - it's about time someone camped out there for a day with a 4K drone to get some sizzle reel model 3 footage!
I have a 4k drone, a model X, and a model 3 reservation, but alas, I'm in ohio

This image is most telling I think. The ridge on the 'old' model 3 was sharp. the 'new' (RC) model 3 has softer edges.

The sides used to run down to the front most corner of the corner fog lights. Now it runs along to the top of those lights. Subtle, but definite changes.
I really think we need to see the release candidate in silver to be able to tell for sure.
There are too many reflections on the black car that make it really hard to follow the body lines.

I really think we need to see the release candidate in silver to be able to tell for sure.
There are too many reflections on the black car that make it really hard to follow the body lines.

Which quite frankly is perfect for me. I mostly liked the front end, with the small exception (I see now) of where that flat front hits the crease just below the headlights. It is either fixed, or not visible in the black.

Thank you kindly.

Status
Not open for further replies.