Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the wheel design, which might change in the coming weeks, the shape of the car strongly resembles another luxury sedan:
View attachment 221935
When the concept came out, people did say the front looked like a Porsche (mainly the headlights). The main difference is the sharp crease in the front. However, the crease is less visible in current photos (might be lighting, might be smoothed out in final version), so it looks even more like a Porsche.

However, the overall shape is mostly Model S.
2017-Tesla-Model-3-side-profile.jpg

tesla-model-3-spy-photos-1-750x422.jpg

The older Panamera had an ugly hump (for rear headroom) and rear end (bulbous):
2015-porsche-panamera-sedan-side-view.png

The recent one is a lot better but changing the roof slope (they actually dropped the roof line by 0.8 inch, dropping the seats lower to keep headroom the same, and made the car 1.3 inches longer for better proportions):
porsche-panamera-turbo-exterior-side-view.jpg

2017 Porsche Panamera - First Drive Review

The recent one (Panamera) is a lot better but changing the roof slope (they actually dropped the roof line by 0.8 inch, dropping the seats lower to keep headroom the same, and made the car 1.3 inches longer for better proportions):

And the TM3 is still a better looking car by far - better proportions, better CD, better balance,...........and faster off the line!

Last edited:
Is there really any question that they have smoothed out the front?
Yes, there is reason to question whether or not the release candidate cars differ in front from the 2016 prototypes. I'm not convinced.

I am convinced that it doesn't matter. The release candidate cars recently photographed are what the production cars will look like.

What matters is seeing the cars up close in person and driving them. And for that we have to wait...

my brother in law happened to be in palo alto this afternoon and found the first black release candidate model 3 with the (hopefully) non-production headlights and original rims. nothing new that we didn't already know that I could spot, except this little box next to the screen, maybe that's only testing equipment?? anyway he called me after he took these pics and we were screaming like two teenage girls and we're self-respecting men, usually.

unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg

my brother in law happened to be in palo alto this afternoon and found the first black release candidate model 3 with the (hopefully) non-production headlights and original rims. nothing new that we didn't already know that I could spot, except this little box next to the screen, maybe that's only testing equipment?? anyway he called me after he took these pics and we were screaming like two teenage girls and we're self-respecting men, usually.

View attachment 222063 View attachment 222064 View attachment 222065

Thanks for the pics! Working through the weekend apparently, nice.

IMG_0263.JPG

Box is likely some kind of data logger, either custom or something like the Ct flexray: http://www.dataloggerinc.com/datasheets/influx/CT_Spec_Sheet_WEB.pdf

Note potentially similar connector on from with likely ribbon cable down to diagnostic connector

The Model 3 still looks far better than the redesigned Panamera ... at about 1/4 the price :cool:

When the concept came out, people did say the front looked like a Porsche (mainly the headlights). The main difference is the sharp crease in the front. However, the crease is less visible in current photos (might be lighting, might be smoothed out in final version), so it looks even more like a Porsche.

However, the overall shape is mostly Model S.
2017-Tesla-Model-3-side-profile.jpg

tesla-model-3-spy-photos-1-750x422.jpg

The older Panamera had an ugly hump (for rear headroom) and rear end (bulbous):
2015-porsche-panamera-sedan-side-view.png

The recent one is a lot better but changing the roof slope (they actually dropped the roof line by 0.8 inch, dropping the seats lower to keep headroom the same, and made the car 1.3 inches longer for better proportions):
porsche-panamera-turbo-exterior-side-view.jpg

2017 Porsche Panamera - First Drive Review

Status
Not open for further replies.