Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That IPace interior is amazing. That is what I think is acceptable for a minimalist, very few buttons, usable interior should be like. My only critique might be the big climate knobs, if that is what they are. I even love the buttresses with the window controls.
You mean what you think it should LOOK like. You have no idea how the iPace (or model 3) interface works or the comfort or visibility. Could be great or terrible. Looks, interface, comfort, visibility... you only get 1 of those (and not even all of it) from a photo.

Reactions: cdub
That IPace interior is amazing. That is what I think is acceptable for a minimalist, very few buttons, usable interior should be like. My only critique might be the big climate knobs, if that is what they are. I even love the buttresses with the window controls.

I pace is probably not a $35k car. It also isn't a production car yet either, so we have no idea what it will finally look like or cost.

But yeah, it's nice. Love the openness in the front well underneath the center console, would allow front passenger to get extra leg room in long trips.

You mean what you think it should LOOK like. You have no idea how the iPace (or model 3) interface works or the comfort or visibility. Could be great or terrible. Looks, interface, comfort, visibility... you only get 1 of those (and not even all of it) from a photo.

Of course it is my opinion. And that is why I stated "What I think". I agree it could end up being terrible after you sit in it. I really like the looks of it though. If you take out the knobs I think it is as minimalist as a Tesla. With that said I highly doubt the production iPace will look like that. If it does I would be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway when I first saw the Model 3 at the reveal I was really disappointed in the interior. Honestly I still don't like it but I am willing to forgo my desires for what I think an interior should look like. I am willing to forgo the binnacle. I am realistic that there will be no changes at this point. I think probably the reason the interior was so jarring to me is it IS a real departure from typical car interiors. That is OK but at the same time I think at the same time the images of the prototypes at the reveal the interior almost didn't flow well. Think about the exterior where they put a lot of thought and design into creases and edges to make a design look elegant or racy or well thought out. The interior to me is lacking that. Yes it is minimalistic, yes the vents are different, yes there is a gigantic screen hanging out. The problem for me is all of this could have had some flair or minimal design elements to make it look like there was some thought into the design. To me it looks like "hey we need a dash" let's put a straight dash on there with a straight piece of wood that goes all the way across and then we'll hang a steering wheel and a screen off of it. Hey we need a door panel and we need a handle so let's just slap one on there. I think some more design and creases and curves, albeit subtle, could have made the interior more interesting while keeping it simple and minimalistic.

This of course is my opinion. I know there are some who love the interior and that is great. This is just a brain dump of why I think my mind instantly was discouraged by the interior the second I saw it. Part of me was hoping that there would be more finish or even design to the production interior. It reminds me of the old dash on 70's cars where they went straight across and they would slap on vents or whatever they needed but they started with a straight plain dashboard and added the necessities. The reveal steering wheel didn't help with that image in my mind so I am glad they changed that.

I will still be a happy model 3 owner. Like most things in life nothing is 100% and there are things I dislike about everything but I think this will still be an awesome car...

Oh and don't get me started on how I was behind a Hyundai Sonata yesterday and the rear end design is identical to the Model 3 or darn close. (not quite as elegant but the lines are almost identical).

Right. My point was that someone may like the way an interior looks from either a photo or even a peek inside the window. But, until you sit in the car and drive it, you have no way of understanding the other factors (comfort, visibility, UI/controls) that go into the "interior" experience. As well as the overall look and feel of the interior (how it flows and hangs together) from driver/passenger perspective. Just so much you do not get from a picture. Which is why I hope people enthusiastic enough to reserve a Model 3 will wait for the whole experience to judge.

As an example: I had a BMW 545i a decade or so ago. Loved the look of the interior! Black with "baseball mitt" colored leather seats. But, the thing had iDrive (terrible), a ventilation system with a mind of its own, an incurable rattle/squeak in the driver window seating right by my ear, and - worst of all - an HVAC system that collected bacteria and smelled like the inside of a gym shoe every time you started the car. I got rid of the car after 2 years.... couldn't take it. For a Jaguar XF, which had an interior very very similar (related of course) to the iPace. That was nice, but nav was poor, and my Model S is far better (for me).

yep - so many folks are convinced that "reveal part 2" hasn't happened yet - even though Elon has said it has happened.
Therefore the interior of the final car is exactly what we are looking at now.
I have a funny feeling that the folks who were convinced there would be a HUD are the same folks who are equally convinced that the interior will be different in the "final" car - even though Elon has already tweeted that we are looking at production candidates not prototypes or betas.
Denial is the first stage of grief.

2. So air vents is not a part of the human/car interface? So no, I do not see it as "a large difference". If they have removed the interface where the humans inside the car could adapt the air flow to what is wanted/needed they are still "overestimating the ability of car consumers to adjust to a new paradigm in human/car interface" and/or neglecting to take into account the need/wants of the driver and/or passenger of the car. And that is in my opinion "stupid".
If the car can drive better than a human, I'm sure it can condition the cabin better than a human. ;):D

Reactions: cdub
Oh and don't get me started on how I was behind a Hyundai Sonata yesterday and the rear end design is identical to the Model 3 or darn close. (not quite as elegant but the lines are almost identical).

I was driving behind a Hyundai yesterday and noticed the same exact thing! However, i feel confident that the aftermarket will provide an alternative rear fascia(s) for a few hundred dollars.

I absolutely agree! Just some VR goggle and a Wii console.

DIY-VR-headset.gif
lol No VR please.

Just a non technical simple driving experience.

I am not worried about the thin vents of the Model 3 or I-Pace... yet. We shall see how they operate in practice. Visually they look appealing.

Come to think of it, in the otherwise scandinavian-simple Model S/X interior, the vents are still quite prominent and traditionally "automotive" fixtures.
Wait a minute.
They didn't put those vents on the Model S and/or Model X. How are they putting those in the Model 3?

We know the rules....right? lol

• Funny
Reactions: McFlurri and cdub
I have a feeling in 5 years we'll be looking at all our other cars and wondering if we can tear out that stupid instrument cluster and install a decent hi-res display.:D

And all those BUTTONS! I've said it before. After driving a Model 3 I think I will feel like other cars are the equivilent of a phone with a physical keyboard. Heck even from driving a Leaf I get annoyed that I have to use a physical key on my wife's car.

It's hard to tell size from pictures, but is seems much larger to me. Tesla never officially confirmed that the Model 3 will use the same connector as S/X, did they?

It would be the stupidest thing in the world to make the Model 3 incompatible with all the superchargers out there. That's why they're building more superchargers - for the model 3. If there is a v3 supercharger it'll be compatible with ALL Teslas.

Model X launch had a few surprises but mostly in hidden functionality like auto-opening front doors and the HEPA filter. Even the bad surprise of non-folding second row seats (obviously not seen in mule photos) were leaked beforehand.

Holy crap! I'd totally forgotten about all the diagrams people drew saying that the 2nd row seats of the X would still fold down. It's happening again with the 3 and the nose.

That IPace interior is amazing. That is what I think is acceptable for a minimalist, very few buttons, usable interior should be like.

Not a huge fan of the iPace interior. Model 3 has spoiled me.

This of course is my opinion. I know there are some who love the interior and that is great. This is just a brain dump of why I think my mind instantly was discouraged by the interior the second I saw it.

Even though I LOVE the Model 3 interior now... my reaction was exactly the same. I loved the 3 and then the crane camera zoomed over to the interior and I stopped and I was like WTF is this crap? It was just so new and different and unexpected it threw my brain into a loop. But I was instantly sold on it after watching all the test drive youtube videos. Now I absolutely love it. There was an initial shock though. It's just SO DIFFERENT than what EVERYONE is USED to!

Reactions: tomas and T34ME
If Model X is anything to go by, this IS the final interior. Model X mules were driving around with production interiors.

Model X launch had a few surprises but mostly in hidden functionality like auto-opening front doors and the HEPA filter. Even the bad surprise of non-folding second row seats (obviously not seen in mule photos) were leaked beforehand.
I hope you are correct, because I want (at least) this view from the top floor of my house: I wouldn't mind if one of those beams magically disappeared.

upload_2017-4-29_9-41-54.png

Status
Not open for further replies.