Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes. I was thinking something like $10 an adapter?
Depends on how much you value your time, really.

This.

It took me about 90 minutes to make my two adapters. Even if with practice I was able to cut the time in half, I would want to charge a lot more than $10 if I was trying to make a profit selling them on eBay.

$10 is the cover the cost of parts price.

IMG_20200908_115115.jpg

NOTE: I haven't confirmed this works yet. I don't suggest using this photograph as a reference the the proper way to assemble it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Not sure if you are doing a 2nd batch of orders but I would be interested in getting 2. I could come pick them up since I am in the bay area too.
I ordered parts for 12, so you're the last one for this order...... Parts arrive tomorrow and assembly should go quickly. People in the Bay Area could definitely pickup this week/weekend.

Update - the new connectors are quite nice. Unfortunately my crimp tool for these style connectors is missing so a new one arrives on Monday. I fudged one together for myself using the not-quite-right crimper... and while I'll definitely use it on my car, it's not something I would feel comfortable selling.

Once I get the right crimper, I should be able to assemble this batch in an hour or two.

Update - the new connectors are quite nice. Unfortunately my crimp tool for these style connectors is missing so a new one arrives on Monday. I fudged one together for myself using the not-quite-right crimper... and while I'll definitely use it on my car, it's not something I would feel comfortable selling.

Once I get the right crimper, I should be able to assemble this batch in an hour or two.
I wondered if there is a way for us to help simplify some of the logistics involved. Would it help you to receive a PM with contact and address information as a csv ?

I wondered if there is a way for us to help simplify some of the logistics involved. Would it help you to receive a PM with contact and address information as a csv ?
First batch: I'll message people with a google form asking for email and delivery location.
2nd batch: Possibly Etsy store. We'll see.

As for shipping parts - someone should find that out. I'm totally fine with helping people out who aren't near a service center if Tesla refuses to ship, i.e. buying and shipping to you, but I would need your VIN. I've heard stories about VINs getting blocked because they were used to buy too many parts, so I can't just buy parts on my VIN.

I have heard that Rangers can deliver parts if you live in the middle of no-where.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
This.

It took me about 90 minutes to make my two adapters. Even if with practice I was able to cut the time in half, I would want to charge a lot more than $10 if I was trying to make a profit selling them on eBay.

$10 is the cover the cost of parts price.

View attachment 585909
NOTE: I haven't confirmed this works yet. I don't suggest using this photograph as a reference the the proper way to assemble it.
What gauge wire did you use?

First batch: I'll message people with a google form asking for email and delivery location.
2nd batch: Possibly Etsy store. We'll see.

As for shipping parts - someone should find that out. I'm totally fine with helping people out who aren't near a service center if Tesla refuses to ship, i.e. buying and shipping to you, but I would need your VIN. I've heard stories about VINs getting blocked because they were used to buy too many parts, so I can't just buy parts on my VIN.

I have heard that Rangers can deliver parts if you live in the middle of no-where.
Did you come up with a reasonable price or are you gonna Tesla tax us? Also local pick up! I'm ready!

I used solid core 18 gauge.

I couldn't find the specs for the proper gauge for the new connector, just 2.51 mm to 1.84 mm cable/insulation diameter. I don't have a tool to measure the cable diameter, but the solid core 18 gauge wire I used felt too thin when I was assembling it and my eyeball calipers say it is probably much thinner than that.

But at the same time, it was clearly too thick for the old connector both by feel and by the specs(20-22 gauge).

Too thick for one side and too thin for the other side seems like a good place to be. And I don't think I could do any thicker on the old connecter so I am quite confident that the adapter will not be the weak link.

My biggest concern is that with 4x solid core wires shrink wrapped together it is very rigid. I do worry that the rigidity may make it difficult to install. If it is a problem I will drop down to solid core 20 gauge and/or leave out the shrink wrap.

Like smatthew I didn't have the proper crimping tools, so I just used needle nosed pliers to fold the tabs around the wire, and then used solder to secure the wire to the pin. I am pretty confident that the solder is at least as strong (both physically and electrically) as a crimp would be, especially since I'm not using the correct wire size. So I'm happy with that part and am not going to hunt down crimping tools.

Last edited:
As for shipping parts - someone should find that out.
I tried to call my nearest service center (in El Paso, TX) and could not get through but was routed to the National Tesla line. That was probably a good thing, since the rep spoke with El Paso and was given these instructions for me to follow:

Email
[email protected]

And ask for parts to be shipped. They are supposed to get back to me.

-----

Question: Am I right to order the entire rear assembly that includes the vents as well as the USB-C piece ?
I provided part #
M3, CONSOLE, REAR AIR VENT PAN ASY, PREM Part #: 1111072-00-E

Found my crimper - it's not perfect, but I used it to make one for my car using 22awg. Waiting on 20awg, and the correct crimper. Stupid Amazon says "Want it in two days?" So you place your order. Then you get an email "Sucker! You thought you were getting it on Monday? Wait until Friday b****." I was really shocked at their language. j/k.

The contacts that I got are only rated for 20-22awg. I may attempt to get 18awg terminals for future batches, but they're not easy to get and require substantial order quantities. And it's not necessary. Each wires will carry less than 2 amps max.
22awg is good for at least 8 amps
20awg is good for at least 10 amps
18awg is good for at least 15 amps
https://www.iewc.com/-/media/iewcglobal/files/resource-downloads/suggested-ampacities.pdf
Did you come up with a reasonable price or are you gonna Tesla tax us? Also local pick up! I'm ready!
First batch - $10/adapter + shipping + handling + TeslaTax ;-}
Handling and TeslaTax are waived if you placed a reservation!
If you're fine with 22awg you can do local pickup tonight.....

Like smatthew I didn't have the proper crimping tools, so I just used needle nosed pliers to fold the tabs around the wire, and then used solder to secure the wire to the pin. I am pretty confident that the solder is at least as strong (both physically and electrically) as a crimp would be, especially since I'm not using the correct wire size. So I'm happy with that part and am not going to hunt down crimping tools.
I'm not comfortable selling someone an adapter that was soldered. It introduces a number of failure modes that I don't want to have to support. I'd use it myself though ;-}
Crimp *and* solder a crimp connector? Good? Bad? Why? - Page 1
Crimping vs Soldering Cable Connectors: Which Is Best? - Monroe

And if you want to see how much work can go into a crimp... read this:
https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/27631/NSTD87394A.pdf

I tried to call my nearest service center (in El Paso, TX) and could not get through but was routed to the National Tesla line. That was probably a good thing, since the rep spoke with El Paso and was given these instructions for me to follow:

Email
[email protected]

And ask for parts to be shipped. They are supposed to get back to me.

Tesla is not living up to its reputation of difficult customer service. Within a day of sending an email I received an invoice to approve.
Awesome

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 9.19.12 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: smatthew
Status
Not open for further replies.