Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t you need to change the front USB hub for the rears to work? Or is there two hubs in the car? (the bit that has the new L shaped connector)

Aside from the fact that they are both powered by the car's 12-volt system the front / back USB are not in any way connected.

Also, the rear is not really a hub. There is no data, it is just a USB shaped power outlet.

I just submitted a service appointment in the Tesla app asking for the front and rear USB hubs. Fingers crossed. I'm a bit worried that Tesla may get wise to our plans and restrict access to the parts.

Do any of you who are planning on upgrading have the old wireless charger with 2x USB-A plugs? Have you decided what you are going to do with it?

Getting full power to both sides of the wireless charger is the main reason I am upgrading. Right now, one side shares power with the sentry mode USB stick and is slow.

I'll either need to replace it with the new USB-C version, or find some way to use the USB-C port to power both USB-A cords from the charger. The JEDA usb hub might do the trick, but that is probably more expensive than just replacing the charger.

I just submitted a service appointment in the Tesla app asking for the front and rear USB hubs. Fingers crossed. I'm a bit worried that Tesla may get wise to our plans and restrict access to the parts.

Do any of you who are planning on upgrading have the old wireless charger with 2x USB-A plugs? Have you decided what you are going to do with it?

Getting full power to both sides of the wireless charger is the main reason I am upgrading. Right now, one side shares power with the sentry mode USB stick and is slow.

I'll either need to replace it with the new USB-C version, or find some way to use the USB-C port to power both USB-A cords from the charger. The JEDA usb hub might do the trick, but that is probably more expensive than just replacing the charger.

Nope, those parts are over the counter and will always be available. Why would Tesla care that we're updating our cars?

BTW, the new USB-C version wireless charger is cheaper and better than the USB-A version. It is heavy as fudge, and if you use the wireless charger that section will not stay pivoted upwards....

edit: cypho - how do you plan to connect them? Going to make your own adapter? Or want me to put you on the list?

Nope, those parts are over the counter and will always be available. Why would Tesla care that we're updating our cars?
Just because Tesla would rather people buy a new car then upgrade old cars.
BTW, the new USB-C version wireless charger is cheaper and better than the USB-A version. It is heavy as fudge, and if you use the wireless charger that section will not stay pivoted upwards....
I agree, but I already spent $125 on the original. Is it enough better to justify tossing out the one I already have?
edit: cypho - how do you plan to connect them? Going to make your own adapter? Or want me to put you on the list?
I'm going to make my own.

Reactions: smatthew
Hey @smatthew could you give me some advice on how you convinced the SC to order this part:
MY USB HUB FRONT
Part #: 1522264-00-B

They only allowed me to order:
M3, CONSOLE, REAR AIR VENT PAN ASY, PREM
Part #: 1111072-00-E

The first piece is flagged for a Model Y and they would only order Model 3 parts for me.

Thanks for any tips!

Hey @smatthew could you give me some advice on how you convinced the SC to order this part:
MY USB HUB FRONT
Part #: 1522264-00-B

They only allowed me to order:
M3, CONSOLE, REAR AIR VENT PAN ASY, PREM
Part #: 1111072-00-E

The first piece is flagged for a Model Y and they would only order Model 3 parts for me.

Thanks for any tips!
Those are the right part numbers. tell them to check the model 3 parts catalog again. It's listed in the M3 parts catalog even though it has MY in the part name.

https://epc.tesla.com/

Perhaps print out (or screenshot) the page from the model 3 parts catalog and send it to them as proof.

So far no pushback on my parts order. And they sent me an estimate/invoice.

Last edited:
It's a fairly boutique part. Depends on how much you value your time, really. As I'm in Europe I'll probably end up ordering 2x of those adapters from eBay.

The eBay seller, the creator of the adapter linked to on the German Tesla forum earlier, has said that he is still waiting for his USB-C hub for the front of the car, so he can test it out. He said that his "only concern is that the 92 watts in total (front 27+11; rear 2x27) could be to much for the controller". Does that seem right? I would've thought it would be the thickness of the wiring on the older car that would be the issue, if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.