Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 on track - the need for a good seat (take the poll)

What kind of performance seat would you choose from if you had to do an upgrade in the model 3

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With MPP slider you have stock easy entrance option to go in/out. Yeah, no recline. But the only time I recline is during watching Netflix while supercharging.

As I've said - I tried all recliners and Sportster CS is the best one, but it's still not good. It's somewhat better than stock, but not significantly enough.

Although seat choices are somewhat subjective, have you tried the Sparco SPX? It's basically the most expensive reclining seat you can buy today (about $3k) and it's absolutely gorgeous (carbon fiber back) with alcantara/leather. It is also the lightest on the market.

I disagree with your statement about 'somewhat better than stock' the stock Tesla seats are TERRIBLE period (even the ones in the Model S). It's not just the lack of lumbar, its the structural support and foam material used (way too soft). Also if you wear a helmet you'll notice that you can't lean all the way back since the top headrest is angled forward.

Reactions: Cypcode
I love how people just jam race seats and harness without thinking about the whole safety thing. You can easily go full dale earnhardt if you hit things the right or wrong way.
Exactly what do you mean by 'safety thing'? Do you enjoy being thrown around the car at 120mph or getting whiplash because you're not supported or held into place by a good supporting seat or harness device?

The people on this thread engage in HDPEs/track driving so we know the risks well. We wear helmets, Hans devices and absolutely want to be able to be properly restrained during driving maneuvers so we can focus on 'safely' driving at the limit :)

Exactly what do you mean by 'safety thing'? Do you enjoy being thrown around the car at 120mph or getting whiplash because you're not supported or held into place by a good supporting seat or harness device?

The people on this thread engage in HDPEs/track driving so we know the risks well. We wear helmets, Hans devices and absolutely want to be able to be properly restrained during driving maneuvers so we can focus on 'safely' driving at the limit :)

You telling me slapping a harness bar on a street car is safe? Go flip through any racing rule book, they spend pages talking about the angle of the seat belt and the way the seat and harness have to be mounted.

Also if your club does tech form, look at how they break up the sections between OEM 3 point vs. 4 or 5 point harness. Most are improperly installed.....

A little teaser - here's a Sportser CS on the Tesla sliders, with the bottom of the seat 42mm off of the floor at the back, and even less at the front.

It's still a little bit higher than the OEM seat, but certainly as low as you can go with a bolt-on solution. Better pictures coming soon, but I just thought this thread deserved an update on our progress!

I agree with Mash in terms of ultimate body holding, you can't beat a fixed bucket. But for usability day in day out, and with the OEM seatbelt, a reclinable is more convienent. So we'll have options for both.

View attachment 879222
Is that keeping stock electric sliding mechanism? If so - it allows considering fixed bucket to be usable for entrance and exit with easy entry profile.

The question is whether it makes seat too high to be able to fit with the helmet. Does it look like it can fit Sparco Circuit then?

Although seat choices are somewhat subjective, have you tried the Sparco SPX? It's basically the most expensive reclining seat you can buy today (about $3k) and it's absolutely gorgeous (carbon fiber back) with alcantara/leather. It is also the lightest on the market.

I disagree with your statement about 'somewhat better than stock' the stock Tesla seats are TERRIBLE period (even the ones in the Model S). It's not just the lack of lumbar, its the structural support and foam material used (way too soft). Also if you wear a helmet you'll notice that you can't lean all the way back since the top headrest is angled forward.
If you look at the pictures and compare Sparco Circuit Vs SPX - you can clearly see that they are on a very different level of bolstering. The main task is to keep a pelvis fixed and on buckets it's a deep corner that holds you really well. On SPX you move your ass freely and so it will do it for you.

I agree that stock seat is terrible, but a lot can be alleviated by 4pt harness. And it's still far away from holding you properly from moving side to side all the time.

I love how people just jam race seats and harness without thinking about the whole safety thing. You can easily go full dale earnhardt if you hit things the right or wrong way.
A 4pt harness on a stock seat doesn't look like an issue.
Recliners make sense to consider ones that have side airbags.
Properly fixed full buckets probably would be on par with stock.
But you're right - it is an increased risk, and without full-size R&D, you can't know how significant.

You telling me slapping a harness bar on a street car is safe? Go flip through any racing rule book, they spend pages talking about the angle of the seat belt and the way the seat and harness have to be mounted.

Also if your club does tech form, look at how they break up the sections between OEM 3 point vs. 4 or 5 point harness. Most are improperly installed.....
I won't deny that some orgs (SCCA/NASA) have rules on harnesses yes. If you're going to get into serious club racing I totally agree that you have to follow the rules and modify appropriately.
No one on this thread will drive on the street with a harness, this is purely for sanctioned events.
The point of this thread was actually to replace the OEM seat with a more supportive one. No one is saying that you have to run a harness with it.

I think there's a lot more nuance that goes into safety equipment. Of course proper installation is a given. Harness bars on a street car are not inherently dangerous. Same with harnesses. There are some safe 4 point harnesses that are street legal and are designed to prevent submarining (Schroth), which is one of the big concerns with a 4pt. That being said, if I'm instructing in a street car I will 100% of the time choose the factory 3pt over a 4/5/6 in a street car.

what G meter should i use?
You should look at the actual datalogs that are created in track mode first, not just the traction circle on the screen. Or at least you should be looking at this during the actual corner, not just the max after a bunch of laps.
The point of a fast car is not just a singular max G number. You are not getting any useful data from a single max point, no matter what tool you have. You need to go back and analyze your whole lap, corner by corner. The built in Tesla datalogger will give you a good start at this, and then if you really get into the data, other tools can expand on the quality of this data.

Start here: Free track mode telemetry viewer

Take note everyone on the fixed bucket option. Unless you have a seat that has a fairly large opening to allow the seatbelt receptable to pass through I highly recommend against using the seat belt OVER the side bolster of the seat. This is not safe at all for a street setup, it must run along your pelvis for proper protection and operation of the seatbelt. If you're using a 4/5 point harness it's not an issue but I doubt many of us will be driving around that way on the street.

The only fixed bucket seat model that I think could work is the Recaro Profi SPG. Here's a picture (you can see how the seat receptacle is through the hole
allowing for the lap belt to properly secure you while driving.
1670296968545.png

Reactions: Mash