Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 on track - the need for a good seat (take the poll)

What kind of performance seat would you choose from if you had to do an upgrade in the model 3

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys. MPP has released their seat kit for bucket (reclining version will be out soon).

Anyone going for it? Please post reviews when you have it installed.

Alright guys. MPP has released their seat kit for bucket (reclining version will be out soon).

So my seat from SIM rig should fit - Sparco Circuit, I wonder if reclining version means just wider base for recliners? @MountainPass

Sparco Circuit has width of 393mm and 290mm distance between front and rear bolts. 45mm and 80mm bolts height from the floor front/rear.
simxpro-sparco-circuit-qrt-ii-fia.jpg

Last edited:

I worked together with MPP on this and have been testing the product for well over a year. I've put about 20k miles on it (including One Lap of America).

I installed the OMP Champ-R. What I really like about this solution is that it maintains (almost) all of the features of the factory seat. The occupancy sensor works perfect, I still have the OE pre-tensioner, seat belt, and buckle. I can use easy entry so getting in and out isn't a nightmare. The only thing I "lost" was the seat heaters, but there are some aftermarket seats that offer that.

No errors, functions as far as the car is concerned as a factory seat (no issues with Firmware updates). As far as use on-track, it's (as expected) far superior! I don't feel any need to use a four-point harness now. The OMP keeps me right in place and I'm no longer fighting the car/steering wheel. Vastly better experience and I don't feel beat-up after a session haha!

Installation is fairly easy and reversible. If you're looking for a fixed-back seat solution, I think this is it!

PXL_20210415_233045774.MP.jpg

So here in Oz I think I can get away with fixed back, but must retain a side airbag if I'm to get a mod plate. Does anyone have any experience fitting one of the few seats that comes with an optional airbag? Recaro Sportster is the only thing I've had a look at so far but that's a different kettle of fish.

Separately, how did you find the OMP Champ-R on the highway? Is this a street-legal race car or a legitimate daily use with expected comfort caveats?

Reactions: Theraven
So here in Oz I think I can get away with fixed back, but must retain a side airbag if I'm to get a mod plate. Does anyone have any experience fitting one of the few seats that comes with an optional airbag? Recaro Sportster is the only thing I've had a look at so far but that's a different kettle of fish.

Separately, how did you find the OMP Champ-R on the highway? Is this a street-legal race car or a legitimate daily use with expected comfort caveats?
Don't forget this is a LHD solution only at the moment. Hopefully RHD coming soon?

I'm not aware of any besides the Recaro that can retain the side airbag. Maybe someone else is?

Well, I sat in it for over 5,000 miles in 11 days during One Lap. I had to add some foam padding to make it more comfortable for me, but once I got it right it's actually been great. I've since done several ~12 hour long road trips with it since and it's no less comfortable then stock. But, no, I don't daily drive it.

I'm not aware of any besides the Recaro that can retain the side airbag. Maybe someone else is?

Well, I sat in it for over 5,000 miles in 11 days during One Lap. I had to add some foam padding to make it more comfortable for me, but once I got it right it's actually been great. I've since done several ~12 hour long road trips with it since and it's no less comfortable then stock. But, no, I don't daily drive it.
Cheers mate, that's helpful info for me to file away.

I have not actually sat to too many of the reclining racing seat options. However, all the ones I sat in had play in them and I kind of moved past them. Maybe they have gotten better, but if you going for a racing seat, I would recommend a fixed bucket. It will be a lot lighter and more rigid. Just angle them right and they can be very comfortable.

One thing I do want to mention is to make sure you use quality seat mount brackets. I've destroyed a set on my sim rig just braking. I don't want to know what could have happened in a crash, though I guess my harness would have held me in place.

1677904843339.jpeg

Reactions: buckets0fun
I got MPP kit, but didn't install it yet. I want to check if I can move stock heating and lumbar support as well as 3 point belt.

Tha main difference of recliners and buckets is side support, imho.

Reactions: Cypcode
I have not actually sat to too many of the reclining racing seat options. However, all the ones I sat in had play in them and I kind of moved past them. Maybe they have gotten better, but if you going for a racing seat, I would recommend a fixed bucket. It will be a lot lighter and more rigid. Just angle them right and they can be very comfortable.

One thing I do want to mention is to make sure you use quality seat mount brackets. I've destroyed a set on my sim rig just braking. I don't want to know what could have happened in a crash, though I guess my harness would have held me in place.

View attachment 913630
That's just a sim rig brackets I assume. I doubt that regular Sparco brackets would crack like that.

Do you know that you don't have to make your brakes so insensitive on a sim, right?

I finally decided to spend a weekend installing the kit to find out I don't have a bucket key.
Hint for future versions - add 3d printed key to the kit.

I'm still thinking about how to use a regular seatbelt. Not sure yet. But then, I don't have a key and don't know how long Tesla will deliver it - like a month.

So, I've printed a key and installed the seat.

Few comments about MPP seat brackets:
1. Seat becomes roughly 15cm closer to steering wheel. It's not great, because easy entrance now not so easy as it could have been otherwise.
2. For my seat it ends up 3-4cm higher than stock seat. That is acceptable.
3. Instruction is too short. Some steps are missing, clearly not enough photos. End to end video of the process would save a lot of headache.
4. Because of changes made to the harness, I can't use lumbar function. I could have used it, but power connector for pump was removed and connector for lumbar controller is not at the seat anymore. Honestly, makes no sense to me @MountainPass
5. I assume that I can relocate seat heating, but, again, no cables for it. But I got connector for height motor, which I can't have.
6. Why there is no key for seat belt buckle? It's like few bucks to make it. Also instruction is not mentioning that you need to push side hole together with the key.

Now about usage of Sparco Circuit.
1. It fits in proper driving position.
2. Exiting a car with the seat in easy access position is very hard. Side bolsters are very high. It holds you well, though - much much better than Recaro Sportster. Not even comparable, tbh.
3. I don't see how I can use stock belts properly at all. Still looking for solution. Both buckles are too high and there is no space to put them inside the seat itself. In the meantime, quickfit 4pt belt works, because it buckles in the middle.
4. Head protection is unsafe on the street - I don't see cars. I don't even see front seat passenger. I will cut them.
5. It's a huge contrast in how you feel a car without soft springs in the seat and sliding left to right.

In short. It works. Need to solve safety issues, lumbar and seat heating functions. And need to learn how to exit without swearing.

1. Seat becomes roughly 15cm closer to steering wheel. It's not great, because easy entrance now not so easy as it could have been otherwise.
3. Instruction is too short. Some steps are missing, clearly not enough photos. End to end video of the process would save a lot of headache.
4. Because of changes made to the harness, I can't use lumbar function. I could have used it, but power connector for pump was removed and connector for lumbar controller is not at the seat anymore. Honestly, makes no sense to me @MountainPass
5. I assume that I can relocate seat heating, but, again, no cables for it. But I got connector for height motor, which I can't have.
6. Why there is no key for seat belt buckle? It's like few bucks to make it. Also instruction is not mentioning that you need to push side hole together with the key.

2. Exiting a car with the seat in easy access position is very hard. Side bolsters are very high. It holds you well, though - much much better than Recaro Sportster. Not even comparable, tbh.
3. I don't see how I can use stock belts properly at all. Still looking for solution. Both buckles are too high and there is no space to put them inside the seat itself. In the meantime, quickfit 4pt belt works, because it buckles in the middle.
4. Head protection is unsafe on the street - I don't see cars. I don't even see front seat passenger. I will cut them.
5. It's a huge contrast in how you feel a car without soft springs in the seat and sliding left to right.

In short. It works. Need to solve safety issues, lumbar and seat heating functions. And need to learn how to exit without swearing.
Great feedback. Honestly this doesn’t sound like a solution for everyday use, I think owners would eventually get fed up with the difficult ingress/egress and poor ergonomics.
I agree that retaining bolster and heating access would of really been value add with this kit.

Reactions: Zippy_EV and Mash

As per @stevehifi above, good feedback. I'm in a RHD country with strict safety rules so my only practical option is a Recaro Sportster with the airbag correctly connected (plus an engineering mod plate to approve it). I'm hoping that their teased reclining kit will incorporate the feedback that's coming in like yours so I get to enjoy the car on road trips in (nearly) track-ready form (excluding alignment and tyre change). Thanks for sharing.

Dang. I appreciate the effort, but indeed it doesn’t quite seem like we are really close to a daily-able solution.

Still, the Schroth E90 4pts seem to be a solid solution for track stability without much compromise.
I think that bucket seats are generally bad idea for mixed usage. I was venturing into that knowingly that it's a bad idea to find out how bad it is and if something can be improved.

I don't see yet how to make it without significant safety and convenience compromise, but I like challenges as a hobby.

I believe that 4pt quickfit should be good enough for most people. I would appreciate Tesla bringing up better seats side support for P versions as well as adjustability to suspension, but I'm not sure that aligns with Tesla goals at all.

Alternatively somebody can consider venturing into business of stock seat upgrade kits. But it's a dangerous venture with a lot of R&D, chances of failure and chances that Tesla would just make sport seats and destroy the venture.

It's also important to remind that I intentionally choose seat with very high side support. It makes it difficult to use in any car even if you have quick release on a steering wheel. If you choose regular bucket seat - that particular point is not so bad.