Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt then assign any VINs the day they roll off the line. They have to do "some" QC and put the finishing touches on the build. I bet you get the VIN real soon though.

From my understanding, based on comments from the SA, the Vin happens as soon as they start the production of your car. It’s stamped into the frame after all. So the source code vin actually means they’ve ‘began’ to make your vehicle. Seemingly, they know at that point when it’s slated to be complete and inspected, and will update the vin to your page once it has made its way through production. They’ll reach out to schedule delivery at any point during that process, as they’ll have a clear understanding of ship times and SC inspection times.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tren01t
I'm still waiting in Tampa for my Oct 12th order, as well.

My "soft build date" of Nov 14th came and went with no VIN assigned. *not surprised* :(
I contacted my SA today when I noticed my "manage" page disappeared and the app showed an "error" (both eventually came back - still no VIN). His factory insider quit, so he could only confirm that several cars he ordered are listed as "BIW - body in work" and one customer who ordered MSM w/white got her VIN today....so mine should't be too far off. maybe

Something I found interesting: "the factory is being audited so they are inspecting every 500th car instead of every 3,000th (or something)". Even though that seems to be holding things up, it "won't be an issue" to take delivery by Dec 31st .
On the plus side, maybe the audits will prevent errors, imperfections, and problems we hear about at delivery?

Reactions: tren01t