Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

10/31 Ordered Model 3 LR AWD White/White 18" Aero wheels FSD
11/02 VIN in source code
11/03 received an email inviting me to a Tesla Orientation class this Sunday 12/8/19 and next Sunday 12/15/19 at their Raleigh store.
12/08 received a text telling me to book delivery slot on tesla.com and selected Sunday 12/15 only 30 mins after the Orientation class
12/14 received a phone call confirming delivery appointment and documentation details
12/15 attended orientation class at 10:00 followed by sign and drive at 11:30

Many moons ago I accompanied my friend when he took delivery of his original Model S (version 1), his orientation class took just over an hour. I sat in the back seat and was reaching the end of my ability to concentrate due to the amount of information that was given by the sales assistant, it was quite a relief when the Tesla employee declared that my friend was ready to be let loose on the road.

By contrast the orientation for our Model 3 was less than 15 minutes, partly due to the vastly improved GUI functionality on the screen and the fact that we've been watching Tesla related YouTube videos since we found the courage to order our vehicle on 10/31.

The "sign and drive" handover was very easy and trouble free. Then we walked to the back of the Tesla facility and our car was waiting for us. The sales assistant moved the car into a less cluttered area and I was able to listen to the "pedestrian" noise as the car drove past us and then reversed into to a parking space. My wife didn't even notice the sound but I was pleasantly pleased that the sound wasn't that loud or intrusive. However it didn't sound very natural, perhaps a good thing to alert pedestrians in parking lots. Previously I'd thought that we would try and prevent the noise but it's so inconsequential that we'll take no action.

My wife jumped inside the car while I was talking to the sales assistant about the exterior. When I sat in the car for the first time I was blown away with the beautiful white interior and the amount of natural light inside the car. Then I noticed that my wife had already named our car "Marian" after a librarian character in the movie "The Music Man", although we'd previously agreed on the name I was taken aback that my "non technical" wife had been able to do this so quickly.

Phone's were setup for blue tooth and as "keys" and then it was time for us to leave the Tesla nest. First impressions were that the accelerator pedal was very sensitive, I was extremely cautious as I left the parking lot and hit the road. Our plan was that we'd drive the Tesla home together and return later in the day to pick up our 2003 Lexus LS430, we wanted to experience our first Tesla trip together.

This plan was rejected because we both felt that the idea of returning to drive our old car back home later in the evening would prevent us from enjoying our first day as Tesla owners. Since I'm a "modern man" I wanted my wife to drive the Tesla home but she was too nervous and insisted that I drive our new car and she'd follow in our old Lexus. Of course I pretended to argue with her decision but was careful not to go so far that she'd change her mind.

First impressions were the super responsive accelerator pedal and then when I lifted off the regeneration deceleration really shocked me, I wasn't expecting the car to come to a complete stop so quickly. When I experienced my first stop sign I came to a complete stop almost a football field away from the line in the road, of course I joking but I was far from the actual junction. For the entire drive to our home I never had to touch the brake pedal, simply amazing!

I'd not driven the Model 3 when we had a test drive, since I was already a Tesla fan boy I felt that it was more important for my wife to enjoy the experience of driving an electric vehicle. So when I found an empty slot on the interstate I was able to hit the floor with the accelerator and feel the power for the first time, it was amazing and none of the YouTube videos capture the exhilaration that the driver feels, my boy racer days are well in my past but that 3 seconds of full power would have scared the teenage me ;-)

Once home we drove around for a couple of hours and then I installed the various accessories that I'd previously purchased. I was relieved when the used version 1 Tesla charging cable I'd bought from Ebay worked with my 14-50 power socket and I was charging at around 39 MPH.

I'll not "drip on" about how fantastic the car is but the painfully long wait has been totally worth it. The Model 3 is everything I dreamed it would be and so much more. There's so many aspects that make the car unique and such a brilliant product. Overnight I received my first update, the car is even better than yesterday ;-)

I can't end this post without mentioning the YouTube "Convincing Your Wife to Buy a Tesla" series by Teslanomics with Ben Sullins. When I first watched his videos I was dismissive but eventually I bought into his ideas and now thanks to him my wife was converted from a Nancy Reagan "NO!" to a very tentative YES. Who would have guessed that safety was my wife's deciding factor - Ben I owe you big time ;-)

To those people that are still waiting for delivery try to stay calm and know that emotional rollercoaster ride is worth the pain. Anger at "missing" shopping hooks and trunk mats seems so stupid once you get behind the wheel.

When you drive the car away from the Tesla lot you'll have no regrets!

Reactions: Autovoid
Congrats!!! Can you share your configuration? I ordered 10/19 for delivery at MDR and it's been radio silent. I'm trying to get some insight into what is currently being produced/delivered. I ordered a white SR+ with black interior, 18" aeros.

SR+, White/black, 18" aero, FSD ordered on 10/25 online with help from the sales reps in the Torrance store.

• Helpful
Reactions: Morris
This is unreal. I’m so jealous! I ordered almost a month before you, the same configuration, and I have nothing to show for. (Costa Mesa DC)

Congratulations on the swift turnaround, though!
And this is why I don’t understand the process. How can someone with the exact config and DC, but ordered a month later get a vehicle first? Craziness. I do believe they will deliver all orders by the end of the month, but the process of getting there will be painful.

And this is why I don’t understand the process. How can someone with the exact config and DC, but ordered a month later get a vehicle first? Craziness. I do believe they will deliver all orders by the end of the month, but the process of getting there will be painful.

I 100% agree with your comment.. and for those saying "It's Happening".. no it ain't for the rest of us. :p

Finally... well sort of!

This has not been the most transparent car buying process, but I have been patient and have not let the lack of communication from Tesla get the best of me.

Here is my brief timeline for my order:

M3P+ Order date: 11/1 (I entered my trade-in and SSN info all at once < should have waited closer to the end of the 6-8 week window in retrospect)
VIN in source code: 12/14
VIN disappeared: 12/15
Payment terms switched to "Pending" on 12/15
Schedule delivery text received: 12/15
Delivery scheduled: 12/26

I called SA today (888-51-TESLA) and was told there must be a "glitch" on Tesla's end with respect to the "now missing VIN" and "pending" payment terms. SA assured me he would contact the financial partner to get the pending issue resolved with the original, agreed-upon terms. In addition, the VIN was provided to me over the phone and has not changed from when it appeared on 12/14 (although it is still not showing on my account). Throughout this whole process, I have not received any communication other than an email to invite me to the New Owner's Workshop.

Patience is a virtue everyone, looks like Tesla was spot-on with the delivery estimate for my region (6-8 weeks from order date).

Received update last night from DA with updated delivery date to Kansas City Service Center of 12/16 (today). It was previously 12/19 (Thursday). Delivery to our home was going to be 5 to 7 days. We leave for Christmas with family 12/22 (Sunday). Seemed to iffy. Taking bus to Kansas City tomorrow for pickup scheduled for 12/18 at 10:30 AM (Wednesday). Baptism by fire starting out my first drive in a new Tesla with a 4-5 hour road trip. At least one Supercharger visit required. They are moving the cars by rail according to the DA.