Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Out of Driver’s Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post and I do need help/ suggestions from the community. Today, when I tried to back out my model 3 from a parking spot, it went crazy. It moved forward by itself and the break didn’t work at all (I am very sure that my foot is on the break Petal). The car is totally out of my control and stopped until it hit a tree( luckily not a person). The speed is not very high but I just can’t stop the car. I feel like the car was driven by a ghost. This is really scary and Tesla told me it is an accident and I have to take the responsibility so far but they will investigate this case. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

00d.jpg

What happened when you hit the brake pedal? Did it have the typical resistance? There’s nothing special about the brake in Model 3, it’s rather similar to other vehicles. Did the brake pedal subsequently start working after the tree managed to get you stopped?

May be possible: OP was in neutral not reverse and foot was on go pedal not brake. Car was pointing downhill. OP is deaf. Joe mode was on. Hold mode was off. OP does not know to continuously press the stalk end to activate parking brake. It was a very young tree, too thin for ultrasonics to see.

Seriously, one day after my car was parked outside backside-in on a day when the temp dropped 50 degrees to below freezing it coasted down a slight incline while exiting the parking lot as there was no regen and the brake pedal went to the floor with no resistance. Thankfully there was no tree. Stalk parking brake button caused some brake grinding and stopped the car. 2016 model has separate parking brake. Tesla did see brake errors but once in park the pedal had resistance and operated normally.

So with operator error (because OP expected to be going backwards) and possibly with brake issues ams/or no regen it may be possible.

My suggestions: review the logs with Tesla (best to call right away and at least log a voice command bug report so they have time stamped record) and RTFM.

there was no regen and the brake pedal went to the floor with no resistance
Gonna throw a flag on this. The brake pedal is physically connected to the actual friction brakes. If this happened, there is a serious, serious problem with your car and you should have the entire brake system inspected from stem to stern immediately.

The brake pedal has no connection whatsoever to regen braking. Nil.

Yes there was, Tesla realized it, and I did get the brakes serviced. Conclusion was temporary mechanical malfunction due to freezing and stuck calipers. My point was that OP’s experience could be possible though highly unlikely to be more than user error. Sugar happens.

Wow unfortunate but as a note, any car could have suffered that 1 in a million? case of ice locking up the calipers... amazing the OPs foot pressure combined with power brake assist did not overcome that...

Yes there was, Tesla realized it, and I did get the brakes serviced. Conclusion was temporary mechanical malfunction due to freezing and stuck calipers. My point was that OP’s experience could be possible though highly unlikely to be more than user error. Sugar happens.
Still doesn't really make sense. All 4 calipers froze? The brake pedal doesn't ask the calipers nicely to extend, it forces them to. A caliper not moving because it is stuck will feel the same to your brake pedal as a caliper that's pressing hard on your brake pads and not go "to the floor with no resistance"

I bet the OP got some really convincing photos of the accident that he/she's about to post, RIGHT? Because what you posted is totally bogus sounding. The kind of thing a troll would post, who's never even driven a tesla. Absolutely no details, and no corroborating evidence? Cough it up.

Important reminder to any of us should this “happen”: PRESS BOTH PEDALS TO THE FLOOR! Why? because by design and regulation full BRAKE must always be capable of overcoming full ACCELERATOR.

So prime yourself to mash ‘em both hard, then when you come to a stop look carefully at your feet and release the accelerator.

Important reminder to any of us should this “happen”: PRESS BOTH PEDALS TO THE FLOOR! Why? because by design and regulation full BRAKE must always be capable of overcoming full ACCELERATOR.

So prime yourself to mash ‘em both hard, then when you come to a stop look carefully at your feet and release the accelerator.

In a spin, both feet in.......or was it full left rudder, stick/column full forward?........ :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
This is the kind of stupid stuff that my teenage daughter does as I teach her to drive lol.
She goes to start driving out my garage and goes forward instead of reverse. She hits the gas pedal instead of the brake quite often. She hits the brake when she means to hit the gas pedal.
The difference with my wife's car and mine is when my teenager miraculously parks the ICE vehicle in the garage she'll throw it in park and leave the ignition on lol.