Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Owners Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've definitely seen a video of somebody doing that. The speed controls are in the speedometer section of the central display.
..ah this picture ?, p40:
TACC.jpg

The - and + on this picture I guess are in combination with Traffic Aware Cruise Control.. would be nice / logical if also available with Basic cc ?!

Do you need to use the screen to set the cruise control??? Or can you do it with one of the stalks?
I was also wondering about the DRCC implementation.
My reading of the manual suggests that once a speed is set, a higher speed setting is possible with either of these two methods:

1. Speed up, and use the stalk
2. Tap the screen

I find the approach clumsy for my type of driving.
I often tuck in behind trucks at around 2 seconds distance, and then want to increase the max speed setting to keep up with the truck as needed. I'll change my habit and approach the truck at a higher speed and then let the DRCC tuck me in since I am not fond of the idea of tap/tapping the screen

<<shrug>>

PTFI posted a video on this, basic cc uses the same buttons to adjust speed. IMO the right hand scroll wheel should also do this...are you listening Tesla.

What I do know are that the scroll wheels are context-sensitive. I.e., they do different things depending on what's showing on the screen.

If you don't have autopilot it's a double tap down on the right stalk. (If my memory serves me correctly)

Ah, yes. I remember that now. On the one I drove, a double-tap engaged autopilot, which included traffic-aware CC. At stop signs, if there was a car in front of you it would stop when that car did. But It does not recognize stop signs, so if there is no car, you have to stop manually. (Or I should say pedally. :) )

Model 3 RWD LR is limited to 165kW of power. That is new information.
It's definitely less than unit is actually capable of. This limit will prolong drivetrain lifetime.
And it has 75kWh when new, according to manual.

With AP, you will want to be able to adjust two settings: maximum speed and minimum following time-distance. From the owner's manual: Pressing down once on the gear shift lever engages cruise control and sets the speed at your current speed. But then to change that speed you need to use the screen, as far as I can tell. (My Prius lets me increase or decrease speed on 1 mph increments by tapping the cc stalk up or down.) I have not found how you set the following distance with TACC.

On Page 61 there's a confusing section that says you can briefly accelerate to your set speed when using TACC by holding the turn signal stalk up or down. I already know (from my drive) that pressing the turn signal stalk up or down once causes the respective turn signal to flash three times (for changing lanes) and tapping it twice turns on the turn signal and keeps it blinking until you turn or disengage it. This additional function on the turn signal stalk seems like it could result in unexpected behavior if you accidentally give it the wrong signal.

Come on, Tesla, cc needs its own stalk!

Well hell no. There is nothing else to do besides activating cc. Adjusting speed will likely be obsolete soon when sign recognition is good. Set it to whatever +x mph compared to limit, that's all. And that adjustment should happen on the steering wheel likely.

a confusing section that says you can briefly accelerate to your set speed when using TACC by holding the turn signal stalk up or down.
Car will accelerate. Driver briefly taps turn.
This additional function on the turn signal stalk seems like it could result in unexpected behavior if you accidentally give it the wrong signal.
Which of them is "additional feature"? Soft push or hard push?
Well there is definitely going to unexpected behaviour in case there is unexpected indication.

On my Prius the CC stalk controls CC-on, CC-off, CC-set-speed, CC-increase-speed, and CC-decrease speed.

On the Model 3, pressing on the turn signal might mean "signal turn" or it might mean "speed up," depending on how you touch it. Speeding up suddenly when you intended to signal a turn could cause serious problems. Those two functions should not be so close together.

The car shouldn't even have a stalk for gear shift, since you never change gears while moving. The buttons on my Roadster do this just fine. Shifting should be done with buttons, and then the stalk could be just for the CC. But Tesla wanted to make the car "like a space ship" so didn't want to "clutter" the cabin with controls. I like having discreet controls rather than trying to make one stalk do confusing things and then putting everything else (including functions I don't want to have to search menus for) on the screen.

It's also going to be a disaster if you ever have to use valet parking and the kid parking the car doesn't know how to operate it.

Their desire to make the car "futuristic" for no other reason than to seem "cool" is a terrible idea. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I will like the car in spite of these kinds of issues, but I'd like it more if it were designed for usability rather than "coolness."

With AP, you will want to be able to adjust two settings: maximum speed and minimum following time-distance. From the owner's manual: Pressing down once on the gear shift lever engages cruise control and sets the speed at your current speed. But then to change that speed you need to use the screen, as far as I can tell. (My Prius lets me increase or decrease speed on 1 mph increments by tapping the cc stalk up or down.) I have not found how you set the following distance with TACC.

On Page 61 there's a confusing section that says you can briefly accelerate to your set speed when using TACC by holding the turn signal stalk up or down. I already know (from my drive) that pressing the turn signal stalk up or down once causes the respective turn signal to flash three times (for changing lanes) and tapping it twice turns on the turn signal and keeps it blinking until you turn or disengage it. This additional function on the turn signal stalk seems like it could result in unexpected behavior if you accidentally give it the wrong signal.

I think you are misunderstanding the overtake acceleration feature. The turn signal always turns on, because the whole point is to accelerate just prior to switching lanes to pass a slow vehicle in your lane. That's the only purpose of the feature, and it won't work at all unless there is a clear lane in the direction you indicate with the turn signal. The only time you will be going slower than your set speed in the first place is if you are following a car, and there's no point in accelerating if you are following a car unless you are going to switch lanes (unless your intention is to rear end the car in front of you).

On my 2017 Volvo with adaptive cruise, the turn signal works the same way as described in the Model 3 manual. It took me a while to get used to it. I have to remember to begin the lane change and expect acceleration when I activate the turn signal if the car is below the set speed. And be ready to touch the brake pedal to cancel if conditions warrant.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
On page 112 of the manual the maintenance schedule is described. There is very little other than routine fluid checks, tire rotations and pressure checks. Brake fluid change at 2 years and battery coolant at 4 years are the only major items. No mention of transaxle lubricant change; I assume it is a long-lasting synthetic.

Most of the items can be done by knowledgeable owners and tire shops.

I think you are misunderstanding the overtake acceleration feature. The turn signal always turns on, because the whole point is to accelerate just prior to switching lanes to pass a slow vehicle in your lane. That's the only purpose of the feature, and it won't work at all unless there is a clear lane in the direction you indicate with the turn signal. The only time you will be going slower than your set speed in the first place is if you are following a car, and there's no point in accelerating if you are following a car unless you are going to switch lanes (unless your intention is to rear end the car in front of you).

Thank you for that explanation. The owner's manual was very confusing. (I read about some other stuff in the manual as well, and had a hard time figuring out what they were trying to say. And I normally don't have that hard a time with owner's manuals.)

... there's no point in accelerating if you are following a car unless you are going to switch lanes (unless your intention is to rear end the car in front of you).

There was an old W.C. Fields movie in which he wins or inherits a lot of money, and because he hates road hogs, he buys a lot of cars, hires drivers for them, and then goes around ramming road hogs. Each time he does, he leaves the smashed-up car and gets into the next one.

Not at this time, however software updates can change nearly everything.

Of course there is the matter of screen real estate. The Model 3 has a smaller screen and has to display the stuff from the instrument cluster as well, so I’m not sure there’s enough room to have a useful rear camera display as well as a useful nav. At least the Model 3 doesn’t have the rear window visibility problems the S does.