Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launches Model 3 Highland refresh in North America - No Performance model listed as of 01.10.2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is an icon that indicates that the left scroll wheel is used for menu navigation, same as the cruise control icon on the right side indicates that the right scroll wheel is used for cruise control operations.

I wonder why every media call them buttons and think that they are deactivated when nothing happens when they try to press on them instead of using the scroll wheels...

• Helpful
Reactions: Mulkogi and E90alex
Just came back from a test drive. What an amazing car. I may have to get the performance over the Cybertruck. Waiting on my Cyberbeast VIN and Performance 3 ordering. Which ever comes 1st is the one I will get. Hopefully we get more news about the Performance 3 in the earnings call.

Just came back from a test drive. What an amazing car. I may have to get the performance over the Cybertruck. Waiting on my Cyberbeast VIN and Performance 3 ordering. Which ever comes 1st is the one I will get. Hopefully we get more news about the Performance 3 in the earnings call.
They have highland models to test drive?

It’s location dependent but my advisor said next week for Newport Beach, CA. Currently Burbank and Mission Viejo have Highland models for test drives.

Yes, you can go to Tesla.com and schedule a test drive. Enter your Zip to find the closet location. There's now a couple of YT videos on it too.

Thanks. I was able to go today and get a test drive at my local SC. The employee told me they got the demo models on Sunday and i was the second guy to drive it. Gotta say my wife and i were very impressed. Everything felt much more polished and tight. No rattles anywhere although time will tell. It was RWD so not as quick but still ride quality was a lot better.
For those in the Seattle area.
Fife SC is the one I visited. Seattle has demo units too. Lynnwood should get the demo model tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
Thanks. I was able to go today and get a test drive at my local SC. The employee told me they got the demo models on Sunday and i was the second guy to drive it. Gotta say my wife and i were very impressed. Everything felt much more polished and tight. No rattles anywhere although time will tell. It was RWD so not as quick but still ride quality was a lot better.
For those in the Seattle area.
Fife SC is the one I visited. Seattle has demo units too. Lynnwood should get the demo model tomorrow.
Glad you got to drive it. It's an awesome car and very impressive. Other car manufacturers should be very worried. It's going to be 2018/2019 moment for Tesla again once Tesla get the new battery to qualify for the $7,500 credit.

I almost placed an order, but decided to wait for the performance 3. I think 0-60 on that may be under 3 seconds. If it's 2.5 than bye bye Cybertruck.

Telsa called me yesterday evening and wanted to know if I would be interested in taking a demo ride in the refreshed model 3. Scheduled it for today, and went for a drive this morning. It was a grey SR+

Absolutely love the interior update. Pretty much everything about it. I'm not much of a fan of the ambient lighting, but it can be turned off, or put in auto mode. The cooling seats were great too. The seats themselves seemed a bit less cushioned than my current 2020 SR+. The missing stalks were not an issue. Got used to the blinkers after a couple times of reaching for the missing stalk. Even the PDNR on the screen was nice.

The road and wind noise is noticeably better too. The steering felt a bit looser, but nothing bad (I forgot to put in sport mode to see the difference).

Overall, my wife and I really liked the refreshed model. Pretty much all the upgrades we liked better. We'll seriously be thinking of upgrading.

For those San Diego people, the demo was at UTC.

I test drove a Highland Red RWD Model 3 in Costa Mesa, CA today. It took a few minutes to get used to the turn signal buttons but it was fine. The interior changes are a nice touch. The car did seem a little quieter. The blind spot detection in the speakers is a nice addition. The ventilated seats were a nice touch.

Overall I didn’t feel like it was a major update from my 2019 LR RWD Model 3 to the point where I would want to trade mine in. But if I was looking to purchase a sedan I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the new Highland Model 3. I’d go for the AWD model, or maybe wait for a Performance model. But the lack of any federal tax credit is motivating me to wait for the Model Y Juniper refresh as I expect most of the changes to be carried over to the new Y but hopefully the tax incentive stays in place.

I test drove a Highland Red RWD Model 3 in Costa Mesa, CA today. It took a few minutes to get used to the turn signal buttons but it was fine. The interior changes are a nice touch. The car did seem a little quieter. The blind spot detection in the speakers is a nice addition. The ventilated seats were a nice touch.

Overall I didn’t feel like it was a major update from my 2019 LR RWD Model 3 to the point where I would want to trade mine in. But if I was looking to purchase a sedan I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the new Highland Model 3. I’d go for the AWD model, or maybe wait for a Performance model. But the lack of any federal tax credit is motivating me to wait for the Model Y Juniper refresh as I expect most of the changes to be carried over to the new Y but hopefully the tax incentive stays in place.
the value of my Model 3 AWD from 2019 has dropped so much (I own it though) - that I'm not upgrading anytime soon. Imho the range of the Highland SR+ is still disappointing and I dont want a LFP battery ... and the AWD variant hasn't really improved range wise over the last years. Quieter and better suspension sure is nice ... stalks gone and no USS for parking not so much.

if i would have to buy a Model 3 Highland today - I'd probably go for the AWD version. The SR+ variant at $39k gets beaten imho by the current Ioniq 6 SEL which goes for ~$39k after ongoing incentives. 305 miles of range vs. "Tesla range" of 272 miles and much faster charging curve vs. the LFP batteries in the Model 3 which cap out at 170kw

Anyone noticing a significant improvement in the ride quality, over bumps and potholes?
My 19 LR (125K miles) has become a bit of a rattlebox, with a go-cart suspension.
Jeezus 125k miles. There is a noticeable improvement imo. Driving at hwy speeds definitely quieter. Maybe i felt it more because i have AT tires on my My. I didn’t even ask but the guy working at the SC told me he thinks the new MY juniper will be announced in Q2. Also he said we might get a cybertruck in the showroom next month.

What new battery? All the US made 2170s are going into Ys right now, and there are no US-made LFPs at all.
New battery with more minerals and components from North America. This was supposed to go into effect in 2023 but they threw that out to give manufactures more time. I believe Tesla thought it was shifted so they were okay with 40/50, but it wasn't. 2024 requirement is 50% mineral/60% components from N.A. It goes up each years.

2025 is 60/60
2026 is 70/70
2027 and beyond is 80/80

Right now all Model 3 2170s are under 50/60.

Not sure what's the difference between Y and 3, but Tesla has many suppliers from Panasonic, BYD, CATL, and LG. Maybe since Model Y has higher margin or sell better that put all the qualified batteries in them instead of the 3. New 3 highland may have higher demand because it's new so they can get away right now. Probably by Q4, it'll qualify for the year end push to drive sales.

New battery with more minerals and components from North America. This was supposed to go into effect in 2023 but they threw that out to give manufactures more time. I believe Tesla thought it was shifted so they were okay with 40/50, but it wasn't. 2024 requirement is 50% mineral/60% components from N.A. It goes up each years.

2025 is 60/60
2026 is 70/70
2027 and beyond is 80/80

Right now all Model 3 2170s are under 50/60.

What?

RWD Model 3s are LFP, not 2170- none from the US at all.

LR AWD are 2170s from LG China, 100% non-US.

Only performance 3 had US cells of any percentage.... which were the US made cells from Nevada... and all of those today are going into Model Ys.

You wrote "once Tesla get the new battery to qualify for the $7,500 credit."

So again- what new battery? Those don't exist and there's not any factories existing to make or supply them.

Last edited:
What?

RWD Model 3s are LFP, not 2170- none from the US at all.

LR AWD are 2170s from LG China, 100% non-US.
Ok, so they will swap it with new batteries to qualify.

It's like this. I pour some water in a pitcher today from Costo water with Kirland brand. Tomorrow I pour Costco water with Essential brand.

Both are water sold today, but tomorrow my pitcher will have new water that is different than today's Kirkland water.