Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Owners Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course there is the matter of screen real estate. The Model 3 has a smaller screen and has to display the stuff from the instrument cluster as well, so I’m not sure there’s enough room to have a useful rear camera display as well as a useful nav. At least the Model 3 doesn’t have the rear window visibility problems the S does.

Compared to my Garmin Nuvi or my iPhone SE running the Google Maps app, the Model 3 screen has plenty of real estate to show a useful map alongside a useful rear-view camera. Though it would be nice to be able to use one of the steering-wheel buttons to switch back and forth, since I don't need to see the map constantly, but I'd rather not have to reach over to the screen every time I do want to see the map.

Reactions: DR61 and Pkmmte
Compared to my Garmin Nuvi or my iPhone SE running the Google Maps app, the Model 3 screen has plenty of real estate to show a useful map alongside a useful rear-view camera. Though it would be nice to be able to use one of the steering-wheel buttons to switch back and forth, since I don't need to see the map constantly, but I'd rather not have to reach over to the screen every time I do want to see the map.
CarPlay/Android Auto is the missing elephant in the room.

Reactions: C141medic
I don't like reading manuals but am rather an interactive person... that video did help me a lot:
Some really cool ideas with all the things you can adjust using the steering wheel scroll thingies, like the headlights!
I certainly hope you can toggle those modes with the steering wheel controls, to avoid digging in to the menus on the screen while “driving”.
I do think I will miss the Autopilot stalk that allows me to easily adjust following distance. Unless we can now control that via the steering wheel controls.

Also, am I to understand that there are no automatic wipers on the 3? This must be a “at this time” type of deal where it will happen later, right?

Reactions: Big Earl
The owner's manual says you can stream music from a Bluetooth- or USB-connected device. I can plug my iPod Shuffle into the USB on my Roadster, and control it from the "infotainment" screen, including displaying what's playing. Will my Model 3 work the same way with my Shuffle?

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind too much if I have to use the phone via Bluetooth for music, but will I get the same sound quality? Bluetooth can sometimes be a bit flakey. There are no streaming services that play the music I want to listen to.

The owner's manual says you can stream music from a Bluetooth- or USB-connected device. I can plug my iPod Shuffle into the USB on my Roadster, and control it from the "infotainment" screen, including displaying what's playing. Will my Model 3 work the same way with my Shuffle?

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind too much if I have to use the phone via Bluetooth for music, but will I get the same sound quality? Bluetooth can sometimes be a bit flakey. There are no streaming services that play the music I want to listen to.

Oops. Found the answer to my question: Can't connect an iPod to the USB. Have to connect it by Bluetooth.

I'm a big fan of the current Autopilot stalk in the S and X. It allows adjustment of speed up and down, cancel, set/resume and following distance via the rotating knob on the end.

So far I'm pretty underwhelmed by Model 3's cruise/Autopilot controls. Set/resume and cancel can be done from the stalk, but speed adjustment has to be done on the touch screen and following distance has to be adjusted from a menu on the touch screen. While I don't tend to adjust following distance very frequently, I don't like how many screen taps Tesla requires on Model 3.

Yes, full self driving will make much of this stuff irrelevant, but that is still several years out.

Reactions: ElecFan
I wonder, is the grey thing next to the clearly labeled brake on page 2 the accelerator?

Long read and I still have a few questions, but this is clearly a first release, as no mention is made of the differences between the LR and SR versions.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between long range and short range versions is about 90 miles of rated driving range. LR is 310 miles while SR is 220 miles.

I'm a big fan of the current Autopilot stalk in the S and X. It allows adjustment of speed up and down, cancel, set/resume and following distance via the rotating knob on the end.

So far I'm pretty underwhelmed by Model 3's cruise/Autopilot controls. Set/resume and cancel can be done from the stalk, but speed adjustment has to be done on the touch screen and following distance has to be adjusted from a menu on the touch screen. While I don't tend to adjust following distance very frequently, I don't like how many screen taps Tesla requires on Model 3.

Yes, full self driving will make much of this stuff irrelevant, but that is still several years out.
Exactly. I tend to adjust the following distance pretty frequently, especially on road trips. In normal driving, I use a longer distance, and in heavy traffic, I have to use a shorter one, unless I don't mind folks cutting in all day long.

I wonder, is the grey thing next to the clearly labeled brake on page 2 the accelerator?

Long read and I still have a few questions, but this is clearly a first release, as no mention is made of the differences between the LR and SR versions.
It was deliberately grayed out because they're still considering moving that functionality to the touchscreen. That will be made available via an OTA update.;)
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: david_42
Assuming the differences between LR and SR is one of your remaining questions, the Tesla press kit lists all of them:
Press Kit | Tesla

Thanks, I was most interested in the weight difference, as that does impact the eMPG. Looks like the standard is about 270 lbs lighter.

The power cord will be a bit of a problem in Portland, OR as it rains almost every day Fall/Winter/Spring. Disconnecting the cord, putting it in a bag and storing it will mean a soaking. Our garage is so small that with two vehicles in the driveway, you cannot get a car in it. Also, the house is too close to the road to add a car port roof. If the port was in the front, the overhang of the house's roof would be adequate. We will have to wait and see if the port is far enough back to get under the roof if the car is backed in.

Last edited: