Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this answer your question?

_DSC7100.jpg

Are you saying though that in some cars you rest your left foot on the bulkhead behind the brake pedal?

Not your exact question, but I have found that the position of the pedals is really uncomfortable for me in the Model 3. If I’m going on a short drive around town it’s ok, and if I’m on the highway, I mostly use autopilot, so it hasn’t really been a problem. However, the accelerator pedal seems to be too high, or maybe it’s the weird drop in the floorpan, but my right leg seems cramped and smooshed over into he center console. Left leg is fine. I don’t have any of those issues in the Model S.

I too find the "dead pedal" sticks out way too far and I have to kind of rest my left foot in a curled position just left of the brake making sure I dont touch it otherwise I get the pressing both pedals alert. I already have the floor mat removed to give me an extra 1/4 inch of foot room with my seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way out (wish it extended another 2 inches)

I'm 6'4 with size 14 shoes so unfortunately normal sized humans dont have to deal with these issues.

Frustrated I investigated and managed to fairly easily pop off the plastic dead pedal revealing a large semi-hollow hard foam piece underneath with carpet over it. I could shake the entire foam chunk as 1 piece so It may be easy to remove completely (or cut in half after removed). It looks like it is semi glued to the carpet through so I wasnt quite ready to just rip it off without peeling the carpet completely back to see exactly what I'm dealing with.

Reactions: sandange
i've been thinking about doing this , please share what you discover removing the dead pedal.
On another the matter of leg room....
I find after driving with auto pilot for extended periods of time,
my right leg can get cramped up being limited to 2 positions ....
just in front of the go pedal or ......
knee bent resting on the center console.

Brain F@rt
wishful thinking in console design is....
since we have a flat floor ....
wouldn't it be nice to have a space to the right of the go pedal to stretch out your leg?

Found a video showing how to remove the panel on the left.

And this shows the top panel removed, and it looks like there is 1 fat bolt holding the dead pedal which shod let you remove the whole thing.

Will try to take it out this weekend and see if it's possible to cut the foot pedal foam in half or a 1/4 so I can keep it looking mostly stock while at the same time letting my feet stretch out.

6”3 size 13 here. I wish it was closer to the floor. Beachmiles, please let me know. Would like to see pictures too.
Im 6'4 and have size 14/15 shoes, even after I take my shoes off every time I drive to give me that extra 1/2 inch of space I still feel like the dead pedal sticks out way too much. On the freeway on autopilot with my shoes off if I wedge my feet under the pedals its much more comfortable. I wonder if there is any way to move the pedals closer to the floor?

Will let you know how it goes with the pedal removal. May not get to it till next weekend now.

6”3 size 13 here. I wish it was closer to the floor. Beachmiles, please let me know. Would like to see pictures too.
I removed it!!! Had to remove the top and left side panel and had to rip it free of the glue to the carpet but it's out! Pretty cavernous void that it left but unfortunately the carpet is kind of shaped to fit around it so thats sort of limiting but I still got a couple solid inches more of foot room. May talk to a car interior guy about maybe cutting the carpet to allow it to sit flat more against car body.
20191115_201238.jpg 20191115_201031.jpg 20191115_201133.jpg

I removed it!!! Had to remove the top and left side panel and had to rip it free of the glue to the carpet but it's out! Pretty cavernous void that it left but unfortunately the carpet is kind of shaped to fit around it so thats sort of limiting but I still got a couple solid inches more of foot room. May talk to a car interior guy about maybe cutting the carpet to allow it to sit flat more against car body.
View attachment 477500 View attachment 477501 View attachment 477502

That thing is huge. How does it feel driving?

Reactions: beachmiles
If you have long legs and large feet with even larger shoes (I'm 6'4 mostly legs & size 15) the deadpedal is a straight waste of space that could otherwise be used for letting my left leg lay closer to flat. I have had to take my shoes off for every drive and remove the floor mat to maximise my leg room. With the dead pedal removed my left foot is much happier with more room to move.

I am counting the days when the center console no longer extends all the way to the dash and the footwell area is shared between the driver and passenger side to let me really spread out. Not sure who would be against more space to move your legs and places to put your feet especially with autopilot.
It's completely insane how car companies continue to shave off free space for your knees and feet by widening the center console and angling it towards you knees and shrinking the footwell area. With my hour daily commute an those inches add up to closterphobia and cramped legs real quick