Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/AWD Clunking sound

Is your Model 3 AWD or Performance doing the same sound?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes they did the replace the front drive unit because they were concerned the gear lash was out of specs. However, the SC told me a first they reached out to the engineers at Tesla to discuss the issue and they reported the noise was normal and within specs. The SC ultimately disagreed and ordered a new front drive unit that was mounted on my car.

The video you see is the noise coming from the old front drive unit. My new front drive unit is still making a similar sound but maybe a bit more subtile. When I picked the car, the SC told me this noise was within specs and they were all supposed to do this, especially Model 3 with front drive unit.

On this topic, I received some videos from people that tried to reproduce the sound. Some cars had the same sound and some cars were absolutely quiet. When Tesla replaced my front drive unit, they gave me a Model S Dual Motor as a loaner and this car did not have any gear lash.

To conclude, I'm under the impression that you could get a Model P3D that isn't making the noise... I will probably bring the topic again to the SC when I visit them in January for other minor issues. Meanwhile, I'm continuing my investigation.

Thanks for the follow up, Oyinko. Were any of the other suggestions on Reddit useful? I see some people talking about re torquing the lug nuts and axle shaft nut. Others talk about half shaft spline tolerance and missing spacers. Its unclear how much those have to do with the problem.

Were any of the other suggestions on Reddit useful? I see some people talking about re torquing the lug nuts and axle shaft nut. Others talk about half shaft spline tolerance and missing spacers. Its unclear how much those have to do with the problem.

I don't know. The first thing Tesla did when I reported the issue was to retorq front drive unit, assembly and control arms but it did not solve the issue. I'm not sure what is "half shaft spline tolerance and missing spacers".

A half shaft is the CV axle that connects the wheel hub to the drive motor. If the splines on those are not of tight enough tolerance, you can have slop between moving components. Another Tesla owner commented on this being a potential problem but I didn't see a confirmed solution. Another said the service department found that a spacer (probably a washer) was missing from the hub assembly from their model S, and that once replaced, the clicking noise they had went away.

A half shaft is the CV axle that connects the wheel hub to the drive motor. If the splines on those are not of tight enough tolerance, you can have slop between moving components. Another Tesla owner commented on this being a potential problem but I didn't see a confirmed solution. Another said the service department found that a spacer (probably a washer) was missing from the hub assembly from their model S, and that once replaced, the clicking noise they had went away.

If you can refer me to parts or pictures, I will be happy to have a look.

I called service center and my vin 41xx was on the recall list for ball joint links and a battery breather. No notifications via email or regular mail. My brothers vin 65xx. He complained about the clunk and also updates failing. They said to bring in and they replaced links.

Nope
But when model x was in for yellow line on screen replacement, they ran my model 3 vin and mine was on list. I don’t think it’s an official recall. Mine doesn’t seem to clunk so I’ll get parts replaced when 3 goes in for something else.

"Replace Front LH And RH Stabilizer Bar Links Due To Ball Joint Cracking"
My brother had a low speed clunk noise also and this is what they did. Mine is recalled also but they said safe to drive. Our units are rwd though. He only could hear clunk noises if opened window.

Sandie, thanks for sharing.

Can you ask your brother to watch Oyinko's video to see if the sound is identical to what he heard?

This is gear lash. Not only that, it's so subtle that I almost can't believe it's a complaint. The motor is louder than the gears meshing, but the concern seems to be about the nose when you roll backward while in D and then apply torque again. I'm not sure I understand what the worry is about, honestly.

This is gear lash. Not only that, it's so subtle that I almost can't believe it's a complaint. The motor is louder than the gears meshing, but the concern seems to be about the nose when you roll backward while in D and then apply torque again. I'm not sure I understand what the worry is about, honestly.

Have you seen my last video? It's definitely not subtle on my car. Tesla already replaced my front drive unit because considered the gear lash and noise that came with it was out of specs.

I'm rolling backward in the video because that's the only way I can replicate it easily. I don't get that noise every time I accelerate when I drive normally but it's happening often enough and loud enough that it's bothering me a bit.

Any idea why I have a clunk sound when moving forward and not backward?

Its hard to say without getting in there to see what is being loaded and unloaded when the noise occurs.

I went back to the showroom where I originally drove a P3D and test drove two of them. The P3D I originally drove did not make the clicking noise. I tested it similar to the car I ordered and the comparison at the service center (flat ground). That car had about 800 miles on the clock. When I drove the second P3D, I initially didn’t hear the noise. But, I then tested it on an incline and it made the clicking noise. Something I also noticed is that the noise was hard to replicate when creep mode was turned on. When I turned off creep, the noise was easier to replicate. That car had 1,500 miles.

Its hard to say without getting in there to see what is being loaded and unloaded when the noise occurs.

I went back to the showroom where I originally drove a P3D and test drove two of them. The P3D I originally drove did not make the clicking noise. I tested it similar to the car I ordered and the comparison at the service center (flat ground). That car had about 800 miles on the clock. When I drove the second P3D, I initially didn’t hear the noise. But, I then tested it on an incline and it made the clicking noise. Something I also noticed is that the noise was hard to replicate when creep mode was turned on. When I turned off creep, the noise was easier to replicate. That car had 1,500 miles.
Is your Model 3 AWD or Performance making a similar sound?

According to the SC, it's coming from the gear backlash and is supposed to this sound but I'm a bit skeptical :)

To reproduce the sound, put the car on a hill. Stop the car and press the accelerator pedal a bit to accelerate from 0 to 3mph in a short bursts, several times. You should hear the clunk sound that I describe.

Any news from anyone on this? My P3D was in for other things and I mentioned the clunking noise that I too am experiencing. Service details simply says they reported to engineering. Did not have the possibility to enquire with the advisor as I picked it up after service hours.