Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/AWD Clunking sound

Is your Model 3 AWD or Performance doing the same sound?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 performance has 360 miles on it and im hearing a clicking /clunking noise at low speed when getting on the accelerator and getting off 2-3 mph no hill needed.. Feels like something is loose upfront and you can feel it. Other than that the car feels stable at high speed and drives perfect.

Same here. It has done this since I got it back in June. I believe it is typical, at least the 3Ps. The only time I can hear it is like you describe, very slow speeds as you modulate the accelerator. I hear it mostly at slow speeds while turning.

I believe is only does this on AWD models and specifically from the front motor, probably as others have mentioned, gear lash/diff or CV joint, suspension geometry noises as a result of the induction motor up front. I own an SR+ as well and it never makes any of these clicks noises. The good news is that is hasn't seemed to get any worse over the past 4000 miles.

Same here. It has done this since I got it back in June. I believe it is typical, at least the 3Ps. The only time I can hear it is like you describe, very slow speeds as you modulate the accelerator. I hear it mostly at slow speeds while turning.

I believe is only does this on AWD models and specifically from the front motor, probably as others have mentioned, gear lash/diff or CV joint, suspension geometry noises as a result of the induction motor up front. I own an SR+ as well and it never makes any of these clicks noises. The good news is that is hasn't seemed to get any worse over the past 4000 miles.

My friend verified that its only coming from the driver side front wheel area.

It's gotta be the front diff - you never hear this stuff in an ICE car because there's too much other *sugar* going on. I just heard it on my car when made a left turn yield. No care.

screen-shot-2018-01-19-at-2-50-13-pm-e1516392935890.jpg

Same problem here from Spain! I own a M3P from Sep 2019 & I have the same noise coming from the front axle. I'm going crazy as I only hear the noise in my car and not on other M3s here. It is very weird as I hear it driving forwards as you all mentioned. Anyway, as far as I can see no one has solved the problem (if it is a problem).

Reviving an old thread b/c I have this issue on my 2020 Stealth. I believe it's coming from the rear tho. Just dropped it off at the SC and they said the half shafts need to be rubbed and retorqued and it should address it. I asked if this would be covered under the Drive Unit warranty and they said no. My Basic car warranty is expired so I guess its gonna by customer pay. Though I would argue this is part of the drive unit.

I know what re-torquing is but clue what rubbed is, typo? Please clarify :)
Probably just adding the moly grease at the interface of the hub and the hub mating face of the half axle as detailed elsewhere.

I guess when there is torque applied to this static interface it can make creaking sounds (grit or corrosion or whatever)?

Seems probably harmless, just a minor annoyance. Turn up the music volume I guess!

Definitely do NOT grease the splines though! Somehow that became a forum myth and it should definitely not be done, as indicated above. Never could figure out how that made any sense, and it is good to see that it does not.

Last edited:
@AlanSubie4Life I guess I would have expected a word like re-grease or re-pack the CV joints or something, rubbed just doesn't have that meaning for me! :)
Well, for this they're not doing anything like repacking the joints, so it's more like rubbing some grease on the end of the half axle, where there is a quite "open-to-the-environment" interface. Lots of dirt and water and whatever else can work its way in (unlike the CV joints). Clean the surface off and put some grease in there and it will prevent the grit and stuff from ever getting in there to make annoying mostly harmless noises (since there's minimal movement here).

So I think that's more like rubbing than repacking. There's no cavity for grease here.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 12.39.22 PM.png

Yeah I get it, I was mostly commenting about the words used - to me greasing a slip joint or similar function is not rubbing is all...
Yeah, just words - it definitely caught my attention too. But it me it was the sort of word that suggested application to this particular surface. So maybe it is the right word! It’s kind of like waxing this surface, which never moves.

Reactions: Msjulie