Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea, but I speculate that they proritzed other things because they were a much smaller company when they designed Model S, and they knew most drivers wouldn’t be doing a lot of canyon carving or track days in the car. But if they re-refresh or re-design the Model S I expect the Performance version to have beefier brakes than the current gen.

I would think that if the Model S brakes are under designed….then they would change them NOW and not wait for a re-design. Its unlike Tesla to let a safety issue go unchanged beyond the second they know about it.

I'm thinking that the size of the brakes of the Model S P100D is totally safe.

With that said...if the Model S and Model 3 brakes are the same....wouldn't you believe that the Model 3's P100D would be safe also?

I would think that if the Model S brakes are under designed….then they would change them NOW and not wait for a re-design. Its unlike Tesla to let a safety issue go unchanged beyond the second they know about it.

I'm thinking that the size of the brakes of the Model S P100D is totally safe.

With that said...if the Model S and Model 3 brakes are the same....wouldn't you believe that the Model 3's P100D would be safe also?

Not at all saying they’re unsafe! Just saying they won’t stand up to the abuse of fast driving / race track use, which Tesla never claimed they could do anyways.

The Model 3 Perf is different, however. The demographic that buys it might be more likely to drive fast/track the car, and Tesla has made race-track specific claims.

Not at all saying they’re unsafe! Just saying they won’t stand up to the abuse of fast driving / race track use, which Tesla never claimed they could do anyways.

The Model 3 Perf is different, however. The demographic that buys it might be more likely to drive fast/track the car, and Tesla has made race-track specific claims.

I understand what YOU are saying and I agree 100%.

I was just interested in the claim by others that faster cars MUST have bigger brakes. The Model S does not have bigger brakes and its indeed fast. I also searched the Model S forum and can't find any degraded / failing brakes on there nor on YouTube with all of the people that are drag racing and tracking their Model S's.

Oh well.... Thanks for your responses.

I understand what YOU are saying and I agree 100%.

I was just interested in the claim by others that faster cars MUST have bigger brakes. The Model S does not have bigger brakes and its indeed fast. I also searched the Model S forum and can't find any degraded / failing brakes on there nor on YouTube with all of the people that are drag racing and tracking their Model S's.

Oh well.... Thanks for your responses.

Yes, in fact I've tracked a Model S (85D) quite a bit, and I find the brakes hold up decently well under track abuse. Not sure about the P100D though, that seems like it would be a whole 'nother level.

It appears the Model 3 doesn't do quite as well out of the box, which I suspect has to do with brake cooling / venting into the wheel well and not braking hardware. Usually a 1000lbs lighter car with similar braking hardware would perform way better, but I think the dramatically improved highway efficiency of the Model 3 has a lot to do with aero optimization, and keeping air out of the wheel well bouncing around the brakes might be a big part of that efficiency.

Yes, in fact I've tracked a Model S (85D) quite a bit, and I find the brakes hold up decently well under track abuse. Not sure about the P100D though, that seems like it would be a whole 'nother level.

It appears the Model 3 doesn't do quite as well out of the box, which I suspect has to do with brake cooling / venting into the wheel well and not braking hardware. Usually a 1000lbs lighter car with similar braking hardware would perform way better, but I think the dramatically improved highway efficiency of the Model 3 has a lot to do with aero optimization, and keeping air out of the wheel well bouncing around the brakes might be a big part of that efficiency.
What isn't the Model 3 doing well out of the box?

What isn't the Model 3 doing well out of the box?

Brakes. Someone actually took his model 3 to the track and toasted his pads in nine laps.

While I can't agree completely with the other poster, regarding the S4 brakes (unless he has the brand new model), I took my S4 to the track. It has a single floating piston caliper and I went to two track days on fully stock pads, rotors, and fluid and it held up fine then I drove home.

Before the braking police stomps all over this, there are people who take their car to the track to learn how to drive better. They're called "driving experiences" or whatever and they're a fun way to improve your skills driving. If a bunch of people with their brand new performance M3s go to one of these events and toast their pads after nine laps, that wouldn't be a good look.

In my opinion the rotors are undersized on this car regardless of your use cases.

I think part of the reason he toasted pads so quickly is traction control constantly trying to intervene, but I do agree the brakes are fairly small for a car of this weight.

I don't think that it is that the brakes are too small, it is just that the pads were selected for normal EV driving, where regen does most of the works and the pads need good cold bite. The person who upgraded their brakes by just replacing the pads didn't report any braking problems at the same track. So the calipers/rotors appear to be just fine, you just need different pads for the track.

Reactions: Lunarx
The updated configutor seems to make it clear that the performance brakes are part of the Performance Upgrade option:
model-3-perf-brakes-png.316027

There isn't even mention of them being red...

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and mongo
Brakes. Someone actually took his model 3 to the track and toasted his pads in nine laps.

While I can't agree completely with the other poster, regarding the S4 brakes (unless he has the brand new model), I took my S4 to the track. It has a single floating piston caliper and I went to two track days on fully stock pads, rotors, and fluid and it held up fine then I drove home.

Before the braking police stomps all over this, there are people who take their car to the track to learn how to drive better. They're called "driving experiences" or whatever and they're a fun way to improve your skills driving. If a bunch of people with their brand new performance M3s go to one of these events and toast their pads after nine laps, that wouldn't be a good look.

In my opinion the rotors are undersized on this car regardless of your use cases.
Interesting.

Why are they taking Model 3's to the track and not Model S's?

Is there some kind of Model 3 mental telepathy message playing through the speakers inaudibly whispering "Take me to the track.....Take me to the track...." over and over again?

And here we have another popular brake myth! barring improper installation rotors don't "warp" Anybody who tells you have warped rotors (again assuming they were installed right) doesn't know how brakes work. Here's Stoptech, a major brake manufacturer who would have a pretty strong financial interest in convincing you rotors warp so you buy new ones from them, telling you it's a myth, and explaining in detail what is actually happening when JimBob at Brakes-R-Us is telling you they 'warped'

Not only does he explain what's actually happening, he explains how to avoid/prevent/fix it too.
The fact you do it to virtually all your cars is further evidence it's a driver problem, not a rotor problem.
-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Good article for newcomers and worth repeating ... :cool:

Myth # 1 – BRAKE JUDDER AND VIBRATION IS CAUSED BY DISCS THAT HAVE BEEN WARPED FROM EXCESSIVE HEAT.
The term "warped brake disc" has been in common use in motor racing for decades. When a driver reports a vibration under hard braking, inexperienced crews, after checking for (and not finding) cracks often attribute the vibration to "warped discs". They then measure the disc thickness in various places, find significant variation and the diagnosis is cast in stone.

When disc brakes for high-performance cars arrived on the scene we began to hear of "warped brake discs" on road going cars, with the same analyses and diagnoses. Typically, the discs are resurfaced to cure the problem and, equally typically, after a relatively short time the roughness or vibration comes back. Brake roughness has caused a significant number of cars to be bought back by their manufacturers under the "lemon laws". This has been going on for decades now - and, like most things that we have cast in stone, the diagnoses are wrong.

With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc. I have seen lots of cracked discs, (FIGURE 1) discs that had turned into shallow cones at operating temperature because they were mounted rigidly to their attachment bells or top hats, (FIGURE 2) a few where the friction surface had collapsed in the area between straight radial interior vanes, (FIGURE 3) and an untold number of discs with pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces - sometimes visible and more often not. (FIGURE 4)

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.

MYTH # 2 - RACING BRAKE DISCS ARE MADE FROM STEEL
To digress for a moment "steel discs" are a misnomer frequently used by people who should know better. This group includes TV commentators and drivers being interviewed. Except for some motorcycles and karts, all ferrous discs are made from cast iron - an excellent material for the job. While steel has a higher tensile strength, cast iron is many times stronger than disc brake requirements. Its thermal transfer characteristics are significantly better than those of steel so that the heat generated at the interface between pad and disc is efficiently carried through the friction faces to the interior surface of the disc and into the vanes from where the heat is dissipated into the air stream. Cast iron is more dimensionally stable at elevated temperature than steel and is a better heat sink - so let us hear no more talk of "steel" brake discs.

MYTH # 3 - A SOFT BRAKE PEDAL IS THE RESULT OF PAD FADE
The all too familiar mushy brake pedal is caused by overheated brake fluid, not overheated pads. Repeated heavy use of the brakes may lead to "brake fade". There are two distinct varieties of brake fade

A) When the temperature at the interface between the pad and the rotor exceeds the thermal capacity of the pad, the pad loses friction capability due largely to out gassing of the binding agents in the pad compound. The brake pedal remains firm and solid but the car will not stop. The first indication is a distinctive and unpleasant smell which should serve as a warning to back off,

B) When the fluid boils in the calipers air bubbles are formed. Since air is compressible, the brake pedal becomes soft and "mushy" and pedal travel increases. You can probably still stop the car by pumping the pedal but efficient modulation is gone. This is a gradual process with lots of warning.

MYTH # 4 - BOILED BRAKE FLUID WILL BE SERVICABLE AFTER IT COOLS.
Once the brake fluid inside the caliper has boiled, it has lost a significant percentage of its original boiling point and should be replaced. It is not necessary to remove all of the fluid in the system, just bleed until clear fluid appears.

MYTH # 5 - BECAUSE THEY ARE NON-HYGROSCOPIC SILICON BASED BRAKE FLUIDS ARE SUITABLE FOR USE IN HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS
DOT 3 AND DOT 4 brake fluids are ether based and are hygroscopic in nature - i.e. they absorb water vapor. As the braking system in not quite airtight, a significant amount of water can be absorbed from the atmosphere in the course of a year. A 3% water content in brake fluid drops the boiling point as much as 170 degrees F. Brake fluid should be completely replaced annually.
DOT 5 fluids are silicon based and are non-hygroscopic, which is good. They are also subject to frothing from high frequency vibration, which gives a soft pedal. Soft brake pedals may be OK in non-high performance cars (in fact, most drivers accept mushy brake pedals as normal) but they are not acceptable in any situation where the driver intends to modulate braking at high force values.

MYTH # 6 - The brake fluid reservoir should be topped up during routine service.
In most modern passenger cars, the brake fluid reservoir is designed with a specific volume and is equipped with an internal float. The volume corresponds to the amount of fluid that will be displaced when the pads have worn to the point of replacement plus a generous reserve. When the replacement point is reached, the descending float completes an electrical circuit and a light appears on the dash warning the driver that the pads should be replaced. If the brake fluid is topped up the first warning of warn out pads will be the screech of steel backing plate against iron disc. This will be both annoying and expensive.

Reactions: Lunarx

No idea, but I speculate that they prioritized other things because they were a much smaller company when they designed Model S, and they knew most drivers wouldn’t be doing a lot of canyon carving or track days in the car. But if they re-refresh or re-design the Model S I expect the Performance version to have beefier brakes than the current gen.

Incorrect... the OEM Brembo brakes on the Model S are some of the best in the business.
Just returned from the 2018 ReFuel track day at Laguna Seca and can report that the Caliper is shared with the Camaro SS and the pads are also shared with the Cadillac CTS-V, Lancer Evolution, and WRX STI.

REFUEL Cars B - Session 2 (Corkscrew) - CPT_7761_Jul0118_CaliPhoto.jpg

Attachments

• REFUEL Cars B - Session 2 (Corkscrew) - CPT_7761_Jul0118_CaliPhoto.jpg
    REFUEL Cars B - Session 2 (Corkscrew) - CPT_7761_Jul0118_CaliPhoto.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Brakes. Someone actually took his model 3 to the track and toasted his pads in nine laps.While I can't agree completely with the other poster, regarding the S4 brakes (unless he has the brand new model), I took my S4 to the track. It has a single floating piston caliper and I went to two track days on fully stock pads, rotors, and fluid and it held up fine then I drove home.

Before the braking police stomps all over this, there are people who take their car to the track to learn how to drive better. They're called "driving experiences" or whatever and they're a fun way to improve your skills driving. If a bunch of people with their brand new performance M3s go to one of these events and toast their pads after nine laps, that wouldn't be a good look. In my opinion the rotors are undersized on this car regardless of your use cases.

I think part of the reason he toasted pads so quickly is traction control constantly trying to intervene, but I do agree the brakes are fairly small for a car of this weight.

I don't think that it is that the brakes are too small, it is just that the pads were selected for normal EV driving, where regen does most of the works and the pads need good cold bite. The person who upgraded their brakes by just replacing the pads didn't report any braking problems at the same track. So the calipers/rotors appear to be just fine, you just need different pads for the track.

This is the main reason to ensure you have high-performance pads for a track event ... :cool:

Check Out These Toasted Tesla Model 3 Brakes

Incorrect... the OEM Brembo brakes on the Model S are some of the best in the business.
Just returned from the 2018 ReFuel track day at Laguna Seca and can report that the Caliper is shared with the Camero SS and the pads are also shared with the Cadillac CTS-V, Lancer Evolution, and WRX STI.

View attachment 316085

Yup, I was there too, pretty sure we hung out a lot ;)

My Model S had some pad damage last year from the same event (1:52 in my old Model S 85D). The Model S and the Model 3 brakes are almost identical (and are in fact pad-compatible for the fronts), so its weird that the Model 3 would have brake heating issues when its 1000lbs lighter and slower. It appears that the Model 3's brake overheating is due to pad choice and/or brake cooling. The Model S has venting in the wheel liner that might come from the front bumper that might explain some of the difference.

I think the Model S standard brakes are fine, but IMHO Performance cars are so darn fast that they deserve true monster brakes like a Panamera or BMW M6 might receive, not something more sized for a WRX STI or Camaro SS.

Yup, I was there too, pretty sure we hung out a lot ;)

My Model S had some pad damage last year from the same event (1:52 in my old Model S 85D). The Model S and the Model 3 brakes are almost identical (and are in fact pad-compatible for the fronts), so its weird that the Model 3 would have brake heating issues when its 1000lbs lighter and slower. It appears that the Model 3's brake overheating is due to pad choice and/or brake cooling. The Model S has venting in the wheel liner that might come from the front bumper that might explain some of the difference.
I think the Model S standard brakes are fine, but IMHO Performance cars are so darn fast that they deserve true monster brakes like a Panamera or BMW M6 might receive, not something more sized for a WRX STI or Camaro SS.

Glad to hear you were at ReFuel and congrats on your track record lap.
The Model 3 appears to have a different stock pad ... let's hope the performance version steps up. :cool:

Last edited: