Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - Colorado Mountains - 18 setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

Part II

Or, "The rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

Got my TSportLine 18" wheels and Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3's on.

Discount Tire did the mount. They're a great tire company here in CO. Been going there since my Dad brought me with him, many Moons ago.

Note to self: Need to tell service guys about the car.

From now on, I need to show the guys how to open the doors. They pulled up on the inside latch, I got a warning about doing so could damage the window. When I bought the car the guys at the Littleton SC said, "don't do that".

I ordered new TPMS' with the wheels. Discount didn't get the new sensors to recognize -- Tesla's are new to them I guess. They said they did, but they didn't. I drove 50 miles or so, still was getting the nag light.

So I got on the phone with Tesla. They walked me through resetting the car so the sensors would be recognized. This was basically powering the car down twice. Once I did, the sensor window popped up telling me new wheels were detected.

Yah, Tesla! Well done! The new sensor detected window popped up, I selected 18", drove a couple minutes and all was groovy. The cat on the phone @ HQ was super cool. Please, Tesla. Run your company like Patagonia does. Do so and you'll have loyal customers for life, I promise.

When I asked the cats at the Littleton SC about putting on 18" wheels, one said "that might affect the calibration of the wheel, range may not be accurate. The car is designed to work with 20" wheels". Looks to me like the car works fine with 18, 19, or 20 wheels. The cats at TSportline said the diameter of my 18" wheel is the same as the 20.

On the way home from the Discount, I had weather in Glenwood Canyon. Not heavy, but enough to get a little test. A few miles of the road was snowy, icy.

The car felt a lot better. Like, connected to the road better.

Going up and down the driveway feels way better.

The tires are quieter and I don't feel near as much of the road.

I like having more rubber between the road and the wheel. Up here we have potholes, wheel killers. The 20's may be great for elsewhere, but not for this cowboy.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll run the 18" wheels year round.

BTW. I have 4 Michelin snow tires for sale now.

A few pics to start. I snagged the new sensor window from this post:
Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

I'll post more once I drive in weather, which should be over the next few days. Friday looks like a big powder day.

Peace and love!

18_setup - 3.jpg
18_setup - 2.jpg
18_setup - 1.jpg
New sensor window.png

Great that you’re happy with your new setup. Glad we helped you with your issues.

Howdy,

Part II

Or, "The rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

Got my TSportLine 18" wheels and Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3's on.

Discount Tire did the mount. They're a great tire company here in CO. Been going there since my Dad brought me with him, many Moons ago.

Note to self: Need to tell service guys about the car.

From now on, I need to show the guys how to open the doors. They pulled up on the inside latch, I got a warning about doing so could damage the window. When I bought the car the guys at the Littleton SC said, "don't do that".

I ordered new TPMS' with the wheels. Discount didn't get the new sensors to recognize -- Tesla's are new to them I guess. They said they did, but they didn't. I drove 50 miles or so, still was getting the nag light.

So I got on the phone with Tesla. They walked me through resetting the car so the sensors would be recognized. This was basically powering the car down twice. Once I did, the sensor window popped up telling me new wheels were detected.

Yah, Tesla! Well done! The new sensor detected window popped up, I selected 18", drove a couple minutes and all was groovy. The cat on the phone @ HQ was super cool. Please, Tesla. Run your company like Patagonia does. Do so and you'll have loyal customers for life, I promise.

When I asked the cats at the Littleton SC about putting on 18" wheels, one said "that might affect the calibration of the wheel, range may not be accurate. The car is designed to work with 20" wheels". Looks to me like the car works fine with 18, 19, or 20 wheels. The cats at TSportline said the diameter of my 18" wheel is the same as the 20.

On the way home from the Discount, I had weather in Glenwood Canyon. Not heavy, but enough to get a little test. A few miles of the road was snowy, icy.

The car felt a lot better. Like, connected to the road better.

Going up and down the driveway feels way better.

The tires are quieter and I don't feel near as much of the road.

I like having more rubber between the road and the wheel. Up here we have potholes, wheel killers. The 20's may be great for elsewhere, but not for this cowboy.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll run the 18" wheels year round.

BTW. I have 4 Michelin snow tires for sale now.

A few pics to start. I snagged the new sensor window from this post:
Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

I'll post more once I drive in weather, which should be over the next few days. Friday looks like a big powder day.

Peace and love!

View attachment 369477 View attachment 369478 View attachment 369479 View attachment 369480

Glad to see the new setup. I just finished a 1100 mile round trip drive, and half of it was in a snow storm in the Delaware/DC/Virginia area where they have no idea what they're doing. The car handled it totally fine, including the next day when all the snow melted and then froze again. It's just tail happy enough to get a chuckle without being dangerous.

Good luck.

Hey brother,

They're Michelin Pilot Alpin 4. They come with a 30k warranty. They're 20's. Here's the receipt:
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 7.44.21 PM.png

If you want 'em, ping me via PM here. I'm in Eagle, short drive to come over and pick 'em up. They have 8k miles on 'em. If you're interested I can send you some pics of tread depth.

Peace and love,

Howdy,

Here's some pics of today's trip to the Beav. Powder day!

On the way the roads were snowy with sand, magnesium chloride, and a layer of ice. Closer to the Beav it was a mix of the same, but more snow packed.

The car is night and day better. I would have been nervous with my other setup. I probably would have drove the HIPEVAN instead. I was going by cars in the left lane, just like the Audi dayz.

So it's a rap. The car with 20's isn't good for where-I-live winter. With my 18 setup it's groovy.

I can't hang here, or anywhere on the Internet. I filibuster. When I do those who I have big disagreements with show up. Then the snark comes out. Then it lives in my head and it's all that's wrong with the Internet. We need a new one, btw. Not good for my soul. Or is it sole? I never know.

Anyway, I hope I've contributed.

Peace and love,

Stone Creek - 1.jpg
Last - 1.jpg
Last - 3.jpg
Last - 5.jpg