Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also - just reading some of the other posts. I have a hard time believing there’s a known safety issue and they just let me do a test drive. That would have been a HUGE liability for them. They would have immediately alerted every center and told them no test drives.
In UAE, they have already delivered vehicles. I am waiting for my delivery in next 5 days or so. I doubt it’s a safety issue !

Also - just reading some of the other posts. I have a hard time believing there’s a known safety issue and they just let me do a test drive. That would have been a HUGE liability for them. They would have immediately alerted every center and told them no test drives.

This is just me spitballing against the wall, I have ZERO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE whatsoever. I dont work for Tesla or anything, I am just a volunteer here at TMC.

With that out of the way, my guess as to what has been holding this up is that it has something to do with Tesla getting reimbursed for the Tax credit. It feels to me like they need "something" signed off by the govnernment before they can claim the credit.

Documents cant be back dated (legally at least) so, hypothetically, if they needed some approval on something / something signed off by some regulatory body, but delivered cars before that, any car delivered before "whatever it is" was signed, Tesla could not get reimbursed for any tax credit they likely already gave to the buyer.

Just thinking out loud here, but its what it feels like to me.

I have a hard time believing it’s really a safety issue. I suspect it’s needing to update software for the EPA estimates, and they labelled it as Safety as that’s the way to tell the computer system to NOT schedule or deliver. Except for that one that slipped out.

This is just me spitballing against the wall, I have ZERO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE whatsoever. I dont work for Tesla or anything, I am just a volunteer here at TMC.

With that out of the way, my guess as to what has been holding this up is that it has something to do with Tesla getting reimbursed for the Tax credit. It feels to me like they need "something" signed off by the govnernment before they can claim the credit.

Documents cant be back dated (legally at least) so, hypothetically, if they needed some approval on something / something signed off by some regulatory body, but delivered cars before that, any car delivered before "whatever it is" was signed, Tesla could not get reimbursed for any tax credit they likely already gave to the buyer.

Just thinking out loud here, but its what it feels like to me.
That's a very plausible theory too. Although the way they're going about it (halting ALL deliveries), they're also delaying people who didn't qualify for the tax credit too. You'd *think* their system should be smart enough to know the difference. But, it's very likely it doesn't. And halting everything was their emergency brake solution.

Sales. I’ve tried hitting service and asking if they can transfer me to sales, but they can’t/wont. At least with my local center.
so i called sanat monica location and spoke to a cool rep who was also awaiting his m3p. they told me the car was at the holding center which i believe he said was in carson california and delivery center is in marina del rey. he said that i should be able to schedule for the earlier day and get it delivered that day. he sounded pretty confident about the process.

i’m still skeptical just on my own volition on what i should do. 🤔

So I did a thing. Went by the Tesla dealership to see the M3P that I heard was there. Yep, sure was! I sat in it, took some pictures. When I went back into the SA to let him know he could lock it back up, he asked if I wanted to test drive it. So.... well of course! I spent about 20 minutes on an unsupervised drive. Here are some of my impressions, I'll stick to some unique things I noticed rather than echo other observations that are already out there. For the Tl;dr crowd: We are all going to be very very happy people when we get ours!

I'll get the two "cons" out of the way:

The white interior in this one is stunning. Absolutely beautiful. However, there were some black smudges already on the driver's side door panel, looks like from pulling the door open and then again up near the window controls. I'm sure it was just from the delivery/ service tech guys moving it around the lot a bunch but it was noticable. I'm sure it would clean right up though.

The turn out of the dealer lot is a right turn, to an immediate stop sign, and then a left turn across a couple of lanes of traffic. As a result, I wound up at the stop sign with the wheel turned 180 degrees to the right (like upside down). I had to sit a moment and try to puzzle out which turn signal button in that case would put on the left turn signal (spoiler alert, I got it wrong first try). Certainly not a deal breaker, but it did break the flow of the drive.

Not really a con, but when I looked in the Frunk I noticed a weird "non-conformance" tag or something (see picture). Not sure what that was about.

Ok, on to the pros!

The seats look great, and fit perfect (I'm 6'3, 250). I thought at first they were just a tad too snug on the outside of my thighs, but just moved the seat back about an inch which resulted in my legs naturally closing just a bit for driving position and they were perfect.

Even with the front seat back a good amount for my height, I could fit in the back seat as well. My head was about 2 inches from the ceiling, and my legs were a little bit like in an airline seat, but it wasn't bad at all. Anyone smaller than me would be just fine for long rides in the back.

The SA was cool enough to recommend driving up some curvy roads into the foothills and El Dorado canyon. This thing absolutely carved those corners. Just like it was glued to the ground. It was phenomenal. Despite that, the ride is incredible. I don't even know how to describe it - it was super soft, yet not a millimeter of "bouncy" or "floaty". If you hit a bump it was just like a minor little "thump" and then it was done. Really cool.

Since it's springtime in Colorado, there were a ton of bicyclists on the road. Also, par for the course, many of them were riding two or even three abreast out from the shoulder into the driving lane. This is actually illegal, but none of them care. The Tesla did a really impressive job recognizing them, even in groups and riding abreast, and it was reflected in the left part of the screen (whatever you call that tool that shows you all the traffic going on around you and everything). At one point, it even gave the wheel an ever so slight nudge to the left to give extra room for one group. It's not like I was super close, but it was impressive that it recognized this was a potential issue, no cars were coming in the oncoming lane, and ever so slightly gave some extra breathing space. Impressive

Finally - yep did a 0-60 (well, maybe a 0-75....) I know you all will be dissapointed, but I did it in "standard". Call me weird but I've decided my first Insane one will be in my car. I didn't clock it or anything but damn. That thing is an absolute rocket. I swear I even experienced a slight narrowing of my vision as my head was pushed back into the seat rest. I couldn't stop smiling for about 5 minutes after.

Anyway - Those are my thoughts! It's now going to be harder to wait for mine, but I'm also 100% convinced this is the car I want. I'll wait!
I had to go visit myself. Just got back from Tesla Superior. Driver door panel is all dirty and greasy haha but Beautiful car! I did not ask for a drive as kind of similar to you with the "Standard/Insane", I want the first drive to be in my car. I agree with you on the seats though. At first I thought "this might be too snug" but after some adjustments, it felt awesome! I felt bad getting back into my Model Y seats, they felt not as nice! The turn signal buttons do have a better feel than the SR/LR M3 in my opinion as well. There was a Stealth Grey LR with white interior and tinted windows which confirmed for me that the Tax Credit bundle is perfect for me. I can't wait to get it and tint all the windows! Going to look very clean.

so i called sanat monica location and spoke to a cool rep who was also awaiting his m3p. they told me the car was at the holding center which i believe he said was in carson california and delivery center is in marina del rey. he said that i should be able to schedule for the earlier day and get it delivered that day. he sounded pretty confident about the process.

i’m still skeptical just on my own volition on what i should do. 🤔
That's a tough one, and I don't blame you being skeptical. I am too given the pushes.
When are you scheduled for currently? It does seem they sent a mass text to all of us as it was the exact same wording saying they needed more time and reschedule for "this weekend or early next week".
Given the identical wording on that, it makes me think it was a mass text to everyone from Corporate, versus an SA at a center sending those. Which does mean I'd put more credence in the corporate guy having knowledge. But, being Tesla, maybe nobody has true knowledge!

That's a tough one, and I don't blame you being skeptical. I am too given the pushes.
When are you scheduled for currently? It does seem they sent a mass text to all of us as it was the exact same wording saying they needed more time and reschedule for "this weekend or early next week".
Given the identical wording on that, it makes me think it was a mass text to everyone from Corporate, versus an SA at a center sending those. Which does mean I'd put more credence in the corporate guy having knowledge. But, being Tesla, maybe nobody has true knowledge!
currently scheduled for saturday. my original date was on friday, and looking today friday is back open again

Reactions: mpgxsvcd