Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance price increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Have Tesla prices just gone up?

Out of curiosity, I went onto the website to see what inventory stock they had....saw the prices higher - so went on the new order page and price has gone up??

Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Hi there,

Have Tesla prices just gone up?

Out of curiosity, I went onto the website to see what inventory stock they had....saw the prices higher - so went on the new order page and price has gone up??

Or am I missing something?

Cheers
Tory government done away with the plug in grant for cars over £50k and at the same time reduced the OLEV grant from £500 to £350.

perfect way to encourage people to switch to electric cars. Clueless twats

I dunno. I like Teslas but it’s debatable whether people need support buying £50k+ cars. The grant is about getting your average person out of their ICE car and into an EV.

Both the LR and SR+ still qualify.

The OLEV grant reduction is disappointing though.
To be honest it made all the difference for me. The performance was within affordable reach with the grant, as an alternative EV sports car. If I couldn’t get the performance then I would have been looking at second hand Porsche 911’s etc. M3 LR did not interest me.

Tory government done away with the plug in grant for cars over £50k and at the same time reduced the OLEV grant from £500 to £350.

perfect way to encourage people to switch to electric cars. Clueless twats
They have axed the luxury car tax on EV cars, which is worth the best part of £2k over 5 years. The 0% BIK deal is massive too, particularly as it'll target high mileage company car drivers. I'd say they're doing plenty.

I'm not sure what the disagreement is about. The grant is still there for sub £50k cars, and there is plenty of choice nowadays at those prices. If you're buying a £50k plus car, you shouldn't need the grant, but regardless you claw some of it back by avoiding the luxury car tax.

But the biggest win is the lack of BIK tax, meaning salary sacrifice and company car drivers see huge tax efficiencies (and at this price point and target audience, can we assume >40% savings?). It's basically a cycle to work scheme for EVs.

Most of the EVs that are about to flood our roads are MASSIVELY subsidised by the government. Do you expect them to buy the car for you? I have colleagues driving fully maintained Audi etrons for £340 per month!

I'm not sure what the disagreement is about. The grant is still there for sub £50k cars, and there is plenty of choice nowadays at those prices. If you're buying a £50k plus car, you shouldn't need the grant, but regardless you claw some of it back by avoiding the luxury car tax.

But the biggest win is the lack of BIK tax, meaning salary sacrifice and company car drivers see huge tax efficiencies (and at this price point and target audience, can we assume >40% savings?). It's basically a cycle to work scheme for EVs.

Most of the EVs that are about to flood our roads are MASSIVELY subsidised by the government. Do you expect them to buy the car for you? I have colleagues driving fully maintained Audi etrons for £340 per month!

My employer salary sacrifice partner were always a rip off. It meant that the A-class I drive was a £100/month dearer vs private lease/maintenance package. Having moved to a new provider, along with the new BIK, I’m moving to a M3P from an A180 for net £80/month more, or in other terms my fuel cost.

My partner is also getting an e-Tron through the same scheme, for little less than you quoted above including a home charger, expecting a July delivery (Although probably be delayed due to COVID).

The governments subsidies have taken a relatively economical Mercedes, along with a terribly uneconomical diesel Seat Leon off the road. It would be crazy to not capitalise on these offers if available. If the Tesla didn’t have the grant when I ordered, I would be jumped at the chance of a LR/SR+. Even if that’s wasn’t an option, the E-Tron is a steal for the quality/drive it offers.

Reactions: Pablosammy
As its dropped over 11% in the past couple of weeks and they just reduced the LR price, I expect a price increase on all models within the next 3 months as they definitely can't make up for an 11% decrease in profit margin, unless of course the pound gets stronger...

mhmm I was waiting until July to put in my order so thinking I maybe should just pull the trigger and order now.

I dunno. I like Teslas but it’s debatable whether people need support buying £50k+ cars. The grant is about getting your average person out of their ICE car and into an EV.

Both the LR and SR+ still qualify.

The OLEV grant reduction is disappointing though.

It should be about getting people from ICE to EV, no matter the cost of the car.

Not everyone works for a company that does salary sacrifice.

It should be about getting people from ICE to EV, no matter the cost of the car.

Not everyone works for a company that does salary sacrifice.

The reduction in the plugin car grant is irrelevant given it’s actually has been extended into 2021; something is better than nothing.

Then there’s the promise of never being more than 30 miles from a rapid charger with £500 million supporting the initiative. This is a step in the right direction.

Finally there’s the exemption of zero emissions cars that cost over £40k from VED.

So, in summary there’s a ton of good stuff to encourage EV growth. Could there be more? Well of course but to suggest there’s no encouragement to move towards EV’s is nonsense

It should be about getting people from ICE to EV, no matter the cost of the car

I think that's a separate debate from the plug in grant. It needs a big stimulus, not a few hundred quid. PIG is the typical tailing-off grant that seeks to lessen the burden for early adopters and help manufacturing get to economy-of-scale with the aim that market price will then drive the purchase decision. Not long until EV is at parity with ICE, and for high mileage drivers it has been for some time.

When I bought my first EV the PIG was £5K iirc. It drops, the funds available are available to more people, the car price drops (my replacement EV was £20 cheaper, 3.5 years later ...). Those sorts of grants never actually cover the early adopters total additional cost ... e.g. original PV grants / FIT were much higher, but people who bought later got cheaper panels and ones that were better tech - more efficient, longer life.

I am disappointed that there is no incentive for the very high mileage drivers to buy (the more expensive) EVs. We have MS LR Raven because it does all the business journeys we make, whereas before we had to compromise and take the ICE for many of those. We have now replaced the ICE with an M3 as a consequence of buying the longer range MS. Can't argue with the one size fits all PIG though, much as I would might like some sort of sliding-scale that suited me, its complex and expensive to implement, and whereas an entrepreneurially driven outfit would find a way, Government doesn't have that same incentivised approach. Same as a 30 MPH rural speed limits at 2AM ...

Government seem hell bent on pump-priming EV through company cars. I haven't been able to think of a reason for that (my suspicion is that the "cost" actually circulates round as tax, eventually, if so it may well be cost-neutral). I'd be fine with giving everyone who wants an EV a £few-grand to encourage them (Norway have 0% VAT on EVs I think??) but that sort of stuff is often abused - the plug in hybrids that qualified for relief and the business drivers never bothered to plug them in.

Either way whoever you vote for the government always gets in ... and we are stuck with whatever they put in place

I’d like to see a higher incentive for EVs under £30k.

But then the most polluting, highest mileage, drivers are not encouraged, only the people who do a few tens of miles to work each day.

Hopefully the current reduction in air travel, and road travel, and what the scientists will find on their monitoring kit, will be persuasive that the transition needs to happen much faster. A tax on Carbon generation/emissions would focus the mind, Government just have to get over how loud Hauliers will squeal, and the fall in party funds from Oil Company donations.