Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Real world range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening guys,

I have been a bit of a lurker on the forums for a while but thought i'd make my first post.

I'm looking to purchase a model 3 performance edition but i'm not sure if it will be capable of what i need it to do and can't seem to find any solid answer.

I work away from home and have to do a 213 mile commute to my work place in the early hours of monday morning and i return on a Friday lunch time.

Ideally i don't want to have to stop, especially on the way to work as i leave my house at 4am!

does anyone have any idea on whether the model will be able to mange this?

Kind regards

Tyber

Hi Tyber,

Welcome!

Will it manage a 213 mile commute - it depends how you drive it, but yes, I’d expect it to manage that easily, even during the winter. My Kona has got a shorter WLTP range (279 miles) than the M3, but over the winter I’d still have managed 213 miles easily. But not if you floor it all the way :D

Don’t forget to use someone’s referral code if you order, so you and they get some free supercharging! Referral codes are usually on a person’s profile page, under Information.

Cheers,
Roy.

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks!

Glad to hear that, reassures me a bit. i usually sit at 70 as its mainly motorway driving.

I'm not sure when these vehicles are at their most efficient, diesels seem to be around 55 but who wants to sit at 55 for 4 hours haha.

Thanks
Tyber

Use A Better Routeplanner and under settings, add battery degradation, any additional weight, and weather conditions especially temperature and rain. Then also factor start and end state of charge and if not leaving it on charge, take a few more miles off for standby drain, especially when its cold.

Personally, I would factor in a quick topup just before you arrive.

I maintain a table of various EV's for a hypothetical 200 mile Manchester to London trip with Summer and (bleak) Winter conditions. EV 200 Mile Manchester to London Trip Simulation : Musings

Reactions: -DB- and Bernard_S
Good evening guys,

I have been a bit of a lurker on the forums for a while but thought i'd make my first post.

I'm looking to purchase a model 3 performance edition but i'm not sure if it will be capable of what i need it to do and can't seem to find any solid answer.

I work away from home and have to do a 213 mile commute to my work place in the early hours of monday morning and i return on a Friday lunch time.

Ideally i don't want to have to stop, especially on the way to work as i leave my house at 4am!

does anyone have any idea on whether the model will be able to mange this?

Kind regards

Tyber

Check out bjorn's videos, he does a ton of tests. Don't be fooled by the title but he gives you ranges at different speeds.
hqdefault.jpg

Also, check out Next Move, these are in German but a few are in english or have english subtitles

From what i can see in his videos he recomends driving 190 km/h if you have access to the superchargers.

Ideally i don't want to stop and hopefully would like the car to be able to do at least 210 at 70mph in without the need to stop. Stopping on the M25 for any amount of time can cause carnage with regards to traffic

Thanks
Tyber

The LR Model 3 will have no problems with the range in the summer. In the colder temperatures of the winter, you should be okay, although slowing down a little may sometimes be advisable. Even something as short as a 5-10 minute charge can get you in with no issues in the winter. And it's a good opportunity for a stretch break.

AFAIK, the record for a Model 3 at about 40 mph is about 600 miles. Slow it down a little and you could round trip!!!

From what i can see in his videos he recomends driving 190 km/h if you have access to the superchargers.

Ideally i don't want to stop and hopefully would like the car to be able to do at least 210 at 70mph in without the need to stop. Stopping on the M25 for any amount of time can cause carnage with regards to traffic

Thanks
Tyber

From what I've been seeing and hearing, you will be fine. But do keep watching his videos, they're quite fun from time to time and they give you great, unbiased, information regarding Tesla (in my opinion)

Also, like others mentionned, try www.abetterrouteplanner.com, it collects data from real cars that are driving around so it should be quite accurate.

Enjoy your Tesla M3

Hey, Thanks!

Glad to hear that, reassures me a bit. i usually sit at 70 as its mainly motorway driving.

I'm not sure when these vehicles are at their most efficient, diesels seem to be around 55 but who wants to sit at 55 for 4 hours haha.

Thanks
Tyber
You should be fine at 70 mph. With EVs speed probably has the biggest effect on range. If you were to up the speed to 80 (on the Autobahn obviously ;)) you’d probably get 15% less range than at 70. The other factors that affect range are temperature (so better in the summer, worse in the winter), driving style (don’t be *too* heavy footed), and terrain (flat is good!).

I have almost the same routine. 200 miles each way, once a week. My Model S arrives in a couple of weeks (so it's not a model 3 answer but the qualitative points are similar, and in fact the range isn't miles different). I wanted to ensure that I could not only do this easily, I could do it within "best practice" use of the battery, in winter conditions and when the car gets older and battery loses a bit of range. I intend to keep the car a long time. I think it'll be fine and I'm also OK with a half way supercharge in the worst conditions.

I would suggest looking up best practice battery use for good longevity. I'm over simplifying here but essentially I intend to work out a charge percentage that I'll go to to enable my journey and then I'll only charge to that, perhaps 85%.

I asked on here for similar advice some months ago before ordering. The responses may be useful to you:

Long commute test

There is a view from some experienced users that I was being over-cautious and also that looking after your battery well can involve frequent high charges so long as you're careful in some other details (not leaving it like that, essentially).

Presumably you can home/destination charge at both ends?