Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance reduction? [no current evidence of this]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Has anyone seen a performance reduction after the last few update?

I heard it on a different forum and tested mine and is slower (3.7 secs to sixty)

Just wondering if anyone has seen it too!

Ill need to test a few more times but wanted other opinions.

You dont mention what capacity you were charged to, you dont mention whether your battery was fully warmed up, you are not sharing any actual monitoring information / drag slips, etc. You dont say what "the latest update" means, which means that this thread wont be relevant for anyone search for anything about a specific update...

Any claim of "My car is slower" needs to have some sort of corroborating information around it, or it is just an opinion.

I would recommend looking at the following items when performance appears to have diminished:
  • Spark plugs / wires
  • Distributor cap
  • Engine air filter
  • Check timing and adjust to factory spec; +/- degrees BTDC
  • Restriction in the exhaust system / catalytic converter
  • Thermostat
  • MAF sensor
  • EGR valve
Did I miss anything?

edit:
  • Carb needles / float
  • Fuel pump / filter

I ran this 3.38 / 30.09 two days ago, around 80% SOC and with 75+lb of floor mats and trunk junk.

You sure?
IMG_3582.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My car is a 2018 and I have done 3.1 with even 30% soc. Not sure why is so slow and just tested again at 80% and was again very slow with a 3.7.
IM just asking to see if it was an update or if something else is happening.

This was 30 seconds ago at 82% SOC on a fully updated 2023 M3P. Nothing is different.

View attachment 948215

*edit* and another one on the way back home at 81% for good measure. Now if you guys could stop making me go for joyrides in my race car so I can get back to my relaxing Fathers Day, that would be swell ;) .

View attachment 948216

Sorry to torture you with a good time :D

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
My car is a 2018 and I have done 3.1 with even 30% soc. Not sure why is so slow and just tested again at 80% and was again very slow with a 3.7.
IM just asking to see if it was an update or if something else is happening.

We can expext that cars that are a few years and have been charged to 80% or so have increased internal resistance that affects power. This will not come via an update but slowly degrade the output.

[Edit] I just got 3.59 verified 0-100 kph ( 0-62 mph) with my M3P ’21, 51% SOC, batt temp 29C. Saw slightly above 380kW battery power, usually tops at ~430kW with high SOC
I have the latest possible update (2023.20.4.1) for my car.

I’d say power is not changed at my 51% SOC anyway.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking at the following items when performance appears to have diminished:
  • Spark plugs / wires
  • Distributor cap
  • Engine air filter
  • Check timing and adjust to factory spec; +/- degrees BTDC
  • Restriction in the exhaust system / catalytic converter
  • Thermostat
  • MAF sensor
  • EGR valve
Did I miss anything?

edit:
  • Carb needles / float
  • Fuel pump / filter
huh?

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
I don't think I have a way of testing 0-60 time. But I was just playing around with SMT today and noticed peak power on a short post office trip was at 457kw... has anyone else seen this? I'm in a Sept 22 M3P ... Fremont build.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_112608.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_112608.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Lindenwood