Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P $3000+ off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLTR: I may I missed a few items, but I too was the fence between Performance and LR. Ultimately choosing LR and you have the option to add AB (Acceleration Boost) to yield 0.5 seconds off 0-60 mph at 3.7 secish time. However if you can find the rare "Stealth" model with Performance software on LR configuration (standard size vs larger brakes, aero rims, track mode software, and no spoiler) go for that. SInce at that time range and I live in an area were potholes were a dime a dozen, I didn't want to worry about pinch flats or bent rims.

Alternatively if you purchase Model 3 between 2016 to 2019 (I forgot but may recommend searching in this forum for the motor) LR you can also purchase a "ghost" hardware that can easily be installed to give you "Performance" speed. Only downfall is that you have to manually update your software instead of OTA.

Ah gotcha.

So new LR AWD for about $46-48k with EV credit or used 2021 LR AWD with no EV credit? and 14k miles with EAP and 20 miles more range for $45k? Seems like a no brainer to get a new 2023 model?

Ah gotcha.

So new LR AWD for about $46-48k with EV credit or used 2021 LR AWD with no EV credit? and 14k miles with EAP and 20 miles more range for $45k? Seems like a no brainer to get a new 2023 model?

Tough one. The nice thing is that even with a used EV purchase you can get up to a $4000 tax credit. As for the two LRs, having the EAP on the used one makes it pretty enticing. Have you looked for a 2022 LR? At least you'll get the AMD Ryzen chip with it, but that's only if you care about having AMD over Intel.

Tough one. The nice thing is that even with a used EV purchase you can get up to a $4000 tax credit.

Nope.
Used EV has to priced lower than the (arbitrarily defined) $25K.

DMan said said:
So new LR AWD for about $46-48k with EV credit or used 2021 LR AWD with no EV credit? and 14k miles with EAP and 20 miles more range for $45k?
As for the two LRs, having the EAP on the used one makes it pretty enticing. Have you looked for a 2022 LR? At least you'll get the AMD Ryzen chip with it, but that's only if you care about having AMD over Intel.

For nearly the same price, go with the one that gives you longer warranty and comes without battery degradation.

Or, if you can wait a few months, delay the purchase until new Highland update comes out, and all previous cars take another depreciation hit!

a

Nope.

For nearly the same price, go with the one that gives you longer warranty and comes without battery degradation.

Or, if you can wait a few months, delay the purchase until new Highland update comes out, and all previous cars take another depreciation hit!

a
Battery warranty expires Sept 8 and tabs are good til November so I prob shouldn't pull the trigger for another couple months. Worried about the price going back up but if prices come down even more then I won't complain.

Nope.

a
Thanks for the correction. How much of a hit across the board do you think the current models will experience once Highland enters the picture?

Aside to hw4, with all the cost cutting going I wonder if the Highland itself will come out inferior in a lot of ways. For Tesla it's a win with likely a higher profit margin, but a nerfed 3 and eventually Y doesn't bring added value to the consumer.

It'll be interesting, because if they're potentially adding a rear screen, ambient lighting, ventilated seats etc... Why remove the USS in the first place to save some bucks? I get the whole vision thing and the direction with that, but the priority of cost cutting just seems off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. How much of a hit across the board do you think the current models will experience once Highland enters the picture?

Hard to tell, since we don't have enough historical data on Model 3 used prices, and none that reflect hits during model refreshes.
For what it's worth, below are references for Model 3 used car price trends, by model year. They average out to a ~32% value drop YoY:

Aside to hw4, with all the cost cutting going I wonder if the Highland itself will come out inferior in a lot of ways. For Tesla it's a win with likely a higher profit margin, but a nerfed 3 and eventually Y doesn't bring added value to the consumer.

Tesla's focus is on reducing manufacturing costs. Value to the consumer is secondary.

Why remove the USS in the first place to save some bucks? I get the whole vision thing and the direction with that, but the priority of cost cutting just seems off.

USS sensors cost money. So does the radar. Removing them is 100% consistent with the priority to cut manufacturing costs.
Whether or not relying on cameras alone can deliver an improved AP/FSD is irrelevant.
After 7 years of trying (initial FSD beta was released in 2016), it appears Tesla has given up on achieving L3 autonomy with AP/FSD hardware. They are just ripping out the hardware to lower the cost of delivering now industry-standard ADAS features.
Mercedes beat them to L3 already either way.

a

Hard to tell, since we don't have enough historical data on Model 3 used prices, and none that reflect hits during model refreshes.
For what it's worth, below are references for Model 3 used car price trends, by model year. They average out to a ~32% value drop YoY:

Tesla's focus is on reducing manufacturing costs. Value to the consumer is secondary.

USS sensors cost money. So does the radar. Removing them is 100% consistent with the priority to cut manufacturing costs.
Whether or not relying on cameras alone can deliver an improved AP/FSD is irrelevant.
After 7 years of trying (initial FSD beta was released in 2016), it appears Tesla has given up on achieving L3 autonomy with AP/FSD hardware. They are just ripping out the hardware to lower the cost of delivering now industry-standard ADAS features.

a

Mercedes and Waymo have very different autonomy objectives than Tesla. You can get to L3 with Lidar and HD maps and all the related tech but its limited to a very specific geofence and Tesla's objective was to get there with camera vision and general AI so that autonomy can be used regardless of location.

Tesla's goal is still to get to L3 and beyond with CV and AI but also use that same tech for their Optimus program. Whether or not they get there is yet to be seen but Elon makes his goals very clear every time he does a shareholder meeting or AI day presentation.

Reactions: Elektrick

a

I remember seeing that chart. Quite depressing. Like some here I was one of the unlucky ones to buy the M3P at its peak and overnight waking up to the nightmare that was actually true. Sucks, but what can we do. Now with the new Highland coming out, I'm really curious how much more the used car values will take a hit.

On the off chance the Highland ends up not settling well with consumers relative to the price, it'd be interesting if the demand for Ryzen 22' and early Q1 23' 3&Ys with the USS and such becoming more in demand; IF the highland ends up being an inferior product for the money overall. Unlikely, but who knows.

You're right about value being secondary. My reference to removing the USS was to point out the somewhat contradictory move by now adding in a rear screen, ambient lightening and ventilated seats? (If true that is..) If Tesla is trying to cost cut, then why would they add in more things that cost money, which is opposite to trying to prioritize the overall margins in their favor.

You just never know with Tesla. Very unpredictable, but that's what they're famous for after all. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in a few weeks with the Highland and soon with Juniper.

Mercedes and Waymo have very different autonomy objectives than Tesla. You can get to L3 with Lidar and HD maps and all the related tech but its limited to a very specific geofence and Tesla's objective was to get there with camera vision and general AI so that autonomy can be used regardless of location.

Tesla's goal is still to get to L3 and beyond with CV and AI but also use that same tech for their Optimus program. Whether or not they get there is yet to be seen but Elon makes his goals very clear every time he does a shareholder meeting or AI day presentation.

I think you mean L4 in both places you used it above. Waymo and such already has had that on the roads for a few years now, though in specific locations only- Tesla has not had it at all--- they've only even demoed L3 twice (for the two videos years apart) and never L4.

After 7 years of trying (initial FSD beta was released in 2016), it appears Tesla has given up on achieving L3 autonomy with AP/FSD hardware.

...what?

The first release of FSD beta was in October 2020.

They are just ripping out the hardware to lower the cost of delivering now industry-standard ADAS features.

Industry-standard?

What other cars can I buy that will drive/navigate on city streets, follow routes on different local roads, make turns at intersections, etc?

Industry standard is what basic autopilot offers- TACC and single-lane autosteer- it's not remotely what FSDb does.

On specific, divided, controlled-access highways- within a single lane- only with another car in front of you- to a maximum of 37 mph.

That’s still a hell of a lot more actual self driving than what Tesla’s “full self driving” can do.

Legally? Absolutely.

If you spent a LOT of your time on specific divided highways, in traffic jams, below 37 mph, and want to read a book during that time it's a huge boon.

If only a minority of your driving is in that specific situation though Teslas system will be a lot more useful, a lot more often, even if you can't read a book legally while using it.

I think you mean L4 in both places you used it above. Waymo and such already has had that on the roads for a few years now, though in specific locations only- Tesla has not had it at all--- they've only even demoed L3 twice (for the two videos years apart) and never L4.
yeah, you are right. I couldn’t care less about a metro L4 system. I’m hoping Tesla solve the interstate full self drive. Want to sleep on my way to my vacations 😁

The first release of FSD beta was in October 2020.

I first rode in a Tesla using FSD back in 2014, and I was "driving" with it on LA freeways in 2015. They called it "Autopilot" back then because that's the obvious name for a car that self-drives and it already had most of today's current capability, including the ability to change lanes. They backtracked many years later by inventing the term "FSD" to retroactively downgrade the initial "Autopilot" aspirations as unachievable dead-ends.

It's very likely that they will apply the same reclassification to all of today's "FSD" cars which are fundamentally incapable of self-driving due to hardware limitations, nevermind "Full" self-driving. The next attempt at partial autonomy will probably have another catchy new name, like "EXCALIBUR" (Exceptional eXecution of Completely Autonomous and Limitless Impeccable Driving, Boosting Ultimate Reliability) to make it retroactively "obvious" that the old "FSD" thing was never meant to imply any sort of self-driving abilities.

IOW, I concur with:
After 7 years of trying (initial FSD beta was released in 2016), it appears Tesla has given up on achieving L3 autonomy with AP/FSD hardware.

Reactions: Deaf Paul