Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y PUP (2020) and I have to admit it’s a bit harsh. I’m looking at adding another car and looking at the Polestar 2 Perf.

I have yet to drive a M3P but I think I’ve read here the ride quality is poor. So two questions, is it? Is the LR ride much better? I can get a new demo red, white interior perf near me for immediate delivery.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Go test drive the Performance model, that’s the way to know for sure if it’s comfortable enough for *you*. I believe I’ve read here the newer M3P’s ride nicer than the early ones. I only have my 2021 (now with aftermarket suspension parts) so I don’t have anything to compare it to except previous cars.

Reactions: Big Earl and Zer0t
Likewise I can only compare to previous (non-Tesla’s) but have no issue with the ride or handling of my M3P. It’s different to my previous Audi and handles completely differently but it’s certainly not harsh in my opinion.

Given that most roads in the UK are like they have been subjected to a NATO air strike it can’t be that bad……

Reactions: Zer0t
Likewise I can only compare to previous (non-Tesla’s) but have no issue with the ride or handling of my M3P. It’s different to my previous Audi and handles completely differently but it’s certainly not harsh in my opinion.

Given that most roads in the UK are like they have been subjected to a NATO air strike it can’t be that bad……

UK roads are still pretty decent on the grand scheme of things. USA roads and Australian roads are aweful - they have 2 types of tarmac they lay down. Rough one and smooth ones. Smooth tarmac you pretty much only get on motorways in Aus which are rare anyway but in my experience in UK all tarmac is smooth (at least in england).

Model 3 isnt too bad on smooth tarmac - you get mainly wind noise. On rough tarmach however you get agonizing tire noise on the 3.
And yes, potholes are annoying and UK has more than germany including road damage but that doesnt give you this mindnumbing tirenoise the 3 suffers from on certain Aus/USA roads.

I used to live in Germany/UK but now in Aus and no comparison whatsoever.
I'm on 18" tires, dont even wanna know what the 20s are like.

Didn't buy either the MYP for M3P because my wife hated the ride quality and I can't say I was a fan either. Bought a 2021 MY LR and added boost. The 19's definitely rode better than either of the Performance variants. Recently took delivery of a new 2022 3 LR with the 18's. Honestly I am amazed at how good the car rides on most surfaces. It definitely if far better than any of the 2021 models of the 3/Y platform and with acceleration boost it is as quick as the P once you are above 25 or so.

If you are driving the MY Performance version the 3 LR w/boost will be pretty close to that level of performance but with very good efficiency. In normally driving that we did with the Y, the 3 is about 25% more efficient. Based on the EPA range numbers it should only be about a 10% difference but it is easily averaging 25% and on some trips closer to 30%.

The improved ride quality has really been the big plus for my wife. She is totally amazed about how much better it is and while I wasn't as focused on this aspect, I have to say I appreciate it about as much as she does. Not to mention the 3's 20" Performance wheels would have likely been destroyed or suffering a lot of curb rash where my wife has to drive.

My experience also. I’ve driven “nice,” sporty cars all my adult life (BMWs, Infinitis, Mercedes, etc), and my Performance 3 WITH the low profile 20s pumped up to 50 psi, is on par with most of them comfort wise, and blows them all away performance wise.

My 2021 LR with 19's rides great. It's a bit firm but that's how I like it: as others have said, you should drive one because everyone's preference is different. Here in FL the roads are pretty good but if I was up north where there are potholes after winter, I might reduce tire pressure a bit.

Mike

I think a lot of people wouldn't buy the Performance version if they had a chance to try the LR w/boost. The current LR w/boost's performance is VERY close to the original M3 Performance in 2018. They are within a tenth 0-60 and in the 1/4 with the LR with boost having a higher trap speed.

It is a shame Tesla doesn't make the Stealth version of the M3P any more. That might be a better fit for a lot of people.

I think a lot of people wouldn't buy the Performance version if they had a chance to try the LR w/boost. The current LR w/boost's performance is VERY close to the original M3 Performance in 2018. They are within a tenth 0-60 and in the 1/4 with the LR with boost having a higher trap speed.

It is a shame Tesla doesn't make the Stealth version of the M3P any more. That might be a better fit for a lot of people.
I mean sure but even those 2018 M3Ps have gotten performance increase over time. Right now the difference between an LR Boost and performance is about the same as the difference between an LR and the boost.

I do wish they’d let us spec 19” wheels with good all seasons from the factory. But I otherwise do like the other touches the PUP gets (though apparently suspension is the same now)

I don't think the LR or P has very good damping and I feel the bump stops are too big and not progressive. I will say our new '22 LR does ride much better than the 18 it replaced but I think Tesla could massively improve suspension performance if they wanted to.

I will say that the extra heft of EVs do pose some challenges in terms of suspension tuning due to extra mass from batteries but it's certainly not insurmountable.

Reactions: tm1v2
Driving from DC to Florida in the M3LR 2019 was quite bumpy and won't do that again. However, for commuting its not really a problem around DC considering its just stop-and-go traffic which makes it a great commuter car.