Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to hear there has been progress on this and really appreciate the detail. I think I will just grind the original lugs if it’s only 0.5mm too long. But must admit that the 5mm spacer looks fine. My only concern with fitting the 5mm spacer is whether there is enough lug for the nut to completely attach to securely? Sounds like this is ok @vogz ?

Yes, the lugs aren’t threaded all the way through anyway and with the 5mm spacer all the lug threads are engaged on the studs.

Reactions: Cyclone1
20mm don’t poke on the rear with the stock 20” wheels/tires but not 100% sure how close a fit it will be with your rear setup. I don’t think 15mm is viable though because of the issue the performance wheels have with <20mm spacers that have integrated lugs. For the front 5mm should be good...
Yea, 15mm is a no-go on performance models with the performance upgrade package. I'm sure the 255 tires will poke a little more than my setup with 235 tires in the rear does. Mine are very flush as you can see in the pics so just imagine the tire bulging a little more.
Thanks to you both, I appreciate the help and info! I will maybe wait until after I get it lowered and then go from there!

T...I just hope they now know that their 15mm spacers will not work with the 2020 Performance wheels. I wonder why they work fine for the silver 20" wheels (arent both 20x8.5 +35mm)? I have a 2019 so we know it isn't that Tesla increased the stud length on the 2020s. There must be a difference in the wheel casting or something.

Interesting find. You're right, the only plausible explanation is a change in the mold for the 2020 Performance 20in wheels that reduced the depth of the cavity back.

Interesting find. You're right, the only plausible explanation is a change in the mold for the 2020 Performance 20in wheels that reduced the depth of the cavity back.
There’s a 3mm lip on the hub mount that the latest 20in alloy mounts onto. This lip is shaped into the centre bore of the alloy, so creates a bore of 64.1 inner and 70.1 outer but only for the short recessed section (again around 3mm) that mounts to the hub. Maybe this is the difference?

There’s a 3mm lip on the hub mount that the latest 20in alloy mounts onto. This lip is shaped into the centre bore of the alloy, so creates a bore of 64.1 inner and 70.1 outer but only for the short recessed section (again around 3mm) that mounts to the hub. Maybe this is the difference?

Nope, that's not it. That 70.1mm center bore has always been present for all Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Option (red calipers, lowered ride height, etc). Something changed with the 2020 graphite wheels that made the back cavities have less depth vs 2018-2019 silver wheels.

Model-3-Performance-Hub.jpg

Attachments

• 2020wheel.jpg
    2020wheel.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 184
Nope, that's not it. That 70.1mm center bore has always been present for all Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Option (red calipers, lowered ride height, etc). Something changed with the 2020 graphite wheels that made the back cavities have less depth vs 2018-2019 silver wheels.

Where is this picture from? My hub measurements are 64.0 and 70.0. Not 64.1 & 70.1

Sorry I should have added that the later Performance 20’ alloys have a cavity with less depth like you mention, so maybe Tesla switched manufacturer?

I haven’t seen any evidence that this is the case. Pre 2020 silver 20” wheel owners have reported the same issue. There was only one person saying it worked and he had an overseas 2020 model and has not returned to the thread to answer any more questions.

Two owners of pre 2020 models on page one of this thread say they don’t fit.

• Disagree
Reactions: katie3 and Cyclone1
Yeah, I assumed before that 15mm spacers on pre 2020 P wheels would work but don’t have any proof/evidence. I just figured it would have surely come up and nobody with a p3d+ would be ordering <20mm spacers with integrated lugs.

Just as an FYI, this is what happens when you drive with 15mm spacers (I only did it for a few hundred feet). I should note that the metal is on the wheel is dimpled and that there was perceptible tapping like noise (almost like there was a loose lug nut) when I drove those few hundred feet. If left alone, over time the stock lugs will likely dent the inner cavities enough to no longer hear the noise but this could weaken that area of the wheel and also is clearly damaging the stock lugs. Not good and not worth it.

36667BA8-5D40-4274-9804-A42FB7ABF3AF.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t seen any evidence that this is the case. Pre 2020 silver 20” wheel owners have reported the same issue. There was only one person saying it worked and he had an overseas 2020 model and has not returned to the thread to answer any more questions.

Two owners of pre 2020 models on page one of this thread say they don’t fit.

Well heck. I'll have to check the back of my late 2019 P silver wheels to see if I have those marks when I had the 15mm spacers on. I recently also purchased 2020 P graphite wheels so I'll take some measurements of the back cavities.

Well heck. I'll have to check the back of my late 2019 P silver wheels to see if I have those marks when I had the 15mm spacers on. I recently also purchased 2020 P graphite wheels so I'll take some measurements of the back cavities.

It's really close to working on my 2020 wheels. Like I probably could have fully torqued them down and wheel surface probably would have been flush mounted on the spacer, but it would have indented the recesses in the wheel and deformed end of studs. I wasn't down for that.

It's really close to working on my 2020 wheels. Like I probably could have fully torqued them down and wheel surface probably would have been flush mounted on the spacer, but it would have indented the recesses in the wheel and deformed end of studs. I wasn't down for that.

I probably could have made it work as well and let the OEM studs wear down a bit from rubbing against the inside of the wheel cavities. But, that would be ghetto and may damage the studs enough to preclude going back to no spacers (without replacing the studs).

That all said, 15mm in the front had too much poke! For the P3D 5 or 10mm, if possible, would be the way to go IMO.

I probably could have made it work as well and let the OEM studs wear down a bit from rubbing against the inside of the wheel cavities. But, that would be ghetto and may damage the studs enough to preclude going back to no spacers (without replacing the studs).

That all said, 15mm in the front had too much poke! For the P3D 5 or 10mm, if possible, would be the way to go IMO.

I agree. 10mm would be absolutely idea IMO, but I'm very happy with the 5mm spacers in the front.

Reactions: Cyclone1
If there aren’t integrated studs on the spacer (like pictured), sure, it will work with the performance wheels. BUT, you are reducing your lug threads by 10mm, and for a car that generates as much torque as a P3D, that is a really bad and potentially dangerous combo. If you go through the trouble of pressing out the factory studs and replacing with longer ones (preferable at least 5-10mm longer than stock), then there should be no concerns with using those spacers.

This weekend I am going to toss 5mm spacers on like vogz posted about earlier. I think that is a happy medium. You are still reducing overall effective lug length, but I believe the open lug nits will still adequately engage.

that all said, a best practice if you ever track is to remove the spacers altogether. IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: skrtskrt and bcpm3p
Just had 15mm/20mm spacers installed on my 2019 P3D+ with stock wheels.

Spacers were from EVS (bought from a member here) and installed yesterday @ SpeedElement in San Jose. Sounds like the issue was that the front wheels were not able to clear the spacer due to the backing, so they grabbed moved the rear wheels to the front in order for it to fit. Because of this - I can no longer rotate the wheels despite being square.

Just had 15mm/20mm spacers installed on my 2019 P3D+ with stock wheels.

Spacers were from EVS (bought from a member here) and installed yesterday @ SpeedElement in San Jose. Sounds like the issue was that the front wheels were not able to clear the spacer due to the backing, so they grabbed moved the rear wheels to the front in order for it to fit. Because of this - I can no longer rotate the wheels despite being square.

So what you are saying are that the stock 20" wheels are somehow different front to rear? They aren't, but perhaps the tolerances are such that it just worked out in your case??

Ok, some updates. I finally installed my 5mm front spacers (link to purchase the cheapies from vogz earlier in the thread). They appear to work just fine. The fit on the hub and end up centering because of the lugs, even though it is a 70.5 hub cutout (OEM is 70.1mm). They definitely look better. I would absolutely NOT use a 10mm flat spacer - there won’t be enough thread for the lug nuts to really secure IMO. Here is a before and also a few pics of the spacers. Next post will have afters.

E79B2FC6-EE0D-402D-BD3D-790C469665C1.jpeg
6D293506-AEB8-408F-8DA6-7DC41A9B9B18.jpeg
779B9DE0-ECD0-40EF-A427-5EEC5F7C1941.jpeg
BC89FC14-3D8E-4BEB-AC0C-169906706D7D.jpeg
2D540ECB-36D0-445E-8A2B-BF9145B78C39.jpeg
77058181-041B-4876-95B1-B396B2CCB336.jpeg