Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does that

I assume that those will be for people that already received a VIN at this point? I don't get the feeling that we will see more coming to socal.

Most should have received their VIN by now, but there could be cars still in the factory that haven’t passed the point where the VIN is triggered and added to your account. So if you still have a delivery estimate and haven’t received the text that pushed your build to March, you might be getting one of the very last runs off the line.

I only received my VIN yesterday and the date it’s expected to gate and be delivered is tomorrow, but my friend is skeptical on if they can get it on a transport in time. He said everyone is pretty much working to make the deliveries happen though.

From the time I placed my order on 10/14 up through last week, my SA was always confident that my car would arrive before the end of the year. On Monday it became apparent that order fulfillment of the M3Ps had gone sideways and EOY was no longer a guarantee. Based on that I rolled the dice on a demo 2021 M3P with 500 miles, for which I have to pay a $500 transport fee. Given that my trade-in offer has gone down by a few hundred every 30 days, my guess is that paying for the transport will be cheaper in the long run.

I have no doubt that had I not gone in this direction, I would now be waiting until March (or canceling). With having placed the order 75 days ago, and living 1-2 days transit time from the factory, this has been a disappointment.

Slipping from tomorrow to March is a pretty big slip considering that Tesla production has been averaging 10,000 cars per week for the last year! And most of those are 3's.

It sounds like they may be re-tooling the line, perhaps with something awesome that's totally worth the wait (e.g. new 4680 battery cells) or perhaps with something meaningless to you (e.g. Gigapress chassis). One thing's for certain however, they'll have the door panel stamping corrected by then so at least your doors will align properly with the A pillar.

From the time I placed my order on 10/14 up through last week, my SA was always confident that my car would arrive before the end of the year. On Monday it became apparent that order fulfillment of the M3Ps had gone sideways and EOY was no longer a guarantee. Based on that I rolled the dice on a demo 2021 M3P with 500 miles, for which I have to pay a $500 transport fee. Given that my trade-in offer has gone down by a few hundred every 30 days, my guess is that paying for the transport will be cheaper in the long run.

I have no doubt that had I not gone in this direction, I would now be waiting until March (or canceling). With having placed the order 75 days ago, and living 1-2 days transit time from the factory, this has been a disappointment.

Bummer...well hopefully you got a nice discount for taking demo model...you ordered a week before I did and Im getting mine in 4 hrs...maybe it was color combo...now if you ordered white/black with FSD then it really would be perplexing....headed to Macadam pickup area soon!

Here's a question. I was planning on giving them a check for mine AFTER I inspect it. But it sounds like home delivery I have no option on that front? So how does this work. I am not financing and do not want to use Plaid. Thx!

I did a lease. At least in my case, the instructions that they sent me when they announced my home delivery was that I had to have the lease contract signed and pay any amounts owed for the drive-off before delivery. They didn't say what would happen if I didn't do that.

They should have sent you some instructions when you were within 24-48 hrs of the home delivery date? If not, you might find some hints by logging into your account and seeing what your 'next steps' are.

In my case, it said all over the place that I had to complete those steps before the delivery.

Bummer...well hopefully you got a nice discount for taking demo model...you ordered a week before I did and Im getting mine in 4 hrs...maybe it was color combo...now if you ordered white/black with FSD then it really would be perplexing....headed to Macadam pickup area soon!

Original order was white/black no FSD. The demo I got was white/white and it looks like they adjusted the price down by $1000 to match my original order. That seems fair to me; 500 miles is basically 2 weeks of driving for me.

Congrats on getting yours today, I hope it goes smooth!

yeah if M3P production is actually halted for few months for March deliveries, the ones that waited/got screwed may get the last laugh when they end up with 4680 cells and integrated battery packs within structure of car and their range goes up.
Highly unlikely you'll see 4680 cells anytime soon. Elon was very clear at battery day that they were still "a few years" away from mass production of the 4680 cells. They are just in testing phase right now as they learn how to manufacture them at scale.

But, I do feel sorry for you performance guys/gals for having to wait so long. It's crazy to have to wait 3 months only to find out you have to wait another 3 months. I switched from a MYP to a M3 LR because I was getting too impatient with Tesla and after hearing how bad the delays have been, I'm glad I did. I pick up my car tomorrow finally. Originally ordered a MYP back in Oct. Didn't make the switch until mid-December.

Reactions: Tholland and srk67
So got a call from the main Tesla office in Canada saying no Performance Model till March, but they would match me with a LR and add the performance boost for free as a comp for the delay. Kinda tempting to be honest.
WOW! That's a great offer, seriously. I would take it. The LR AWD with boost is only 0.6 secs slower than a M3P. 3.7 vs 3.1 is not that drastic of a difference. Anywhere in the 3's is an incredibly fast car, especially compared to 95+% of other cars on the road.

Reactions: Marcavelli650
A little bit delayed from when I was expecting. But as promised, pics 'cause it happened.

The car arrived last night within the window promised (4pm PST). But the young lady who delivered the car was as she stated brand new and kind of created a problem. When it came time for me to except delivery on the app it wouldn't allow me to do so. She didn't know what to do so she left the car with me but locked with the keys inside until something could be figured out. It took an hour plus to figure out that she simply had not marked the car as delivered to me.

so, it's at at my house as a giant paperweight for about an hour and a half and by the time I could get in the car it was pretty late so ... .

As far as qc on the car. Most of my issues are related to what looks like a rushed paint job. None of it will show in the photos but some rippling and such here and there. Also a bit of squeaking here and there that I can't quite put my finger on yet.

As you can see I've already outfitted it with some of my stuff. Very happy with the spoiler from RPM Tesla although I created a small issue in the clearcoat that I have to figure out.

Tinting next week and I'm going to have the Uber turbines powder coated glossy black the week after that. I also have glossy carbon fiber window caps from RPM Tesla but one of them is defective so they'll go on after I receive the replacement.
D9FE95C1-7B2F-4F55-A920-8DC78B99B881.jpeg
92566AF3-54A3-442B-891D-499D19BCCB62.jpeg
BEAF9B2C-948B-46D3-8478-F5B8D09004C7.jpeg
92108D22-97C3-4BF6-844C-452288B5A24B.jpeg
0218AB1E-5D90-46ED-8A53-4FBF308351FB.jpeg
9D249759-438B-47EE-9863-15D620A7F05D.jpeg

Just so everyone is aware, the March timeline is the same thing that happened with December timelines. The 4680 cells will be in the S/X first. That’s for sure. Next main reason it’s moved to March is the entire first half of the quarter, majority of the cars are built for overseas market. So you will see a bunch of performance cars made but for overseas. China helps but they haven’t officially started the performance cars over there yet. Again so, Tesla only has two factories and they have to build cars in the US and them ship them. So they try to ship all of those cars by the half way point of the quarter so those deliveries hit by the end of the quarter. That’s the biggest reason. Same exact thing happened this go around. Sure there will be a car here or there. But normally, it’s the same trend. The bulk of the US deliveries will be in that last month or should I say the last 5-6 weeks. I still think is completely crap that Tesla still does this. It’s insane to make some one wait For a mainstream car over 5-6 months. When they are building large numbers of them.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
So got a call from the main Tesla office in Canada saying no Performance Model till March, but they would match me with a LR and add the performance boost for free as a comp for the delay. Kinda tempting to be honest.
It’s not a bad option, we had a LRDM with the boost and it was quicker for sure. The Performance was still faster from dig, however from a roll the power difference wasn’t as bad as you may think.

Reactions: dalton108
About the new headlights, I'm 87xxxx and the car clearly has them. I'm gonna see it it may be an unpopular and opinion but I don't really like them. I love projector headlights they looked great on my infinity, C7 and my wife's X3 -- but, on this car they just look slapped in there for compliance. The headlight design on my wife's car (2020 Model Y) just looks more cohesive. They're bright and I'm sure function in many ways better, but I'm not a fan of the looks. Sorry, not sorry.
53A219B2-505F-4C8F-84B3-9FEFAFE448E9.jpeg

About the new headlights, I'm 87xxxx and the car clearly has them. I'm gonna see it it may be an unpopular and opinion but I don't really like them. I love projector headlights they looked great on my infinity, C7 and my wife's X3 -- but, on this car they just look slapped in there for compliance. The headlight design on my wife's car (2020 Model Y) just looks more cohesive. They're bright and I'm sure function in many ways better, but I'm not a fan of the looks. Sorry, not sorry. View attachment 622604
Let the deluge of emails requesting a swap commence! Assuming that can even be done LOL. ;)

Everyone has their own style. No sorry needed.

• Funny
Reactions: dalton108
I could be completely off basis, but I wonder if Tesla's big push for the 500k deliveries made them shift their focus to mass produce even more SR+ and LR's since they're the more affordable option. They wanted to ensure that if someone woke up on 12/31 and decided they wanted a Tesla, that they could instantly sell them one.

Because otherwise it just doesn't make sense that you'd have all of these people practically begging to give them $60k+ and be forced to wait possibly 5-6 months to do so.