Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really related to the ordering process, but for those who are opting to have PPF installed on their car, my shop has told me that they will be removing all badges on my car (including the DUAL MOTOR, the red underline, and the hood/trunk T logos) in order to apply the PPF, after which the T logos will be reinstalled on top of the PPF. They said they don't typically reinstall the DUAL MOTOR badging because the lettering is small and usually ends up unusable after removal.

I was curious as to whether this is typical, and if so, whether I should be worried about the T badges looking the same after being reinstalled. One recourse I'm considering is just telling the shop to leave all the badges off. Any thoughts on that idea? I like that it would make cleaning the car a little easier, but would be concerned it might look weird. Another option would be to replace the badges with carbon fiber versions that match the spoiler on the trunk lid, although I can't seem to find any high quality options.

Thoughts?
I asked my PPF guy to leave all the badges off after he told me he removed them for the wrap.

Turns out, he forgot we had the conversation and reinstalled the T's. I asked him about the dual motor and he doesn't even touch those. He just cuts an area out around it. He said the letters are unusable once taken off and they often leave paint issues because they were installed on fresh paint.

I told him not to worry about it and I would figure it out later. I'll probably also be looking for high quality carbon fiber vinyl stickers.

Reactions: Young Phenom
That's correct. Global = matrix. The "matrix" term refers to the underlying grid of LEDs that serve as the light source. Kind of like the pixels on a plasma or OLED display. The design allows the beam pattern of the headlights to be reconfigured by turning individual elements of the underlying LED matrix on and off as needed based on the regulations in the region where the vehicle is being operated. For instance, in countries where the vehicles are right hand drive, the beam cutoff is opposite to those with left hand drive vehicles. Hence, the "global" designation.
Thanks for the info!

Reactions: NateWithOCD
I finally picked the car back up today. It looks great after PPF, tint and the wet sanding in a couple places. The body shop was able to take out the small imperfections in the paint and I'm really happy with the results. I will have to take the car back to the PPF guy on the 8th to finish the driver side doors and front quarter panel.

The tint is not that dark because I live in GA and the laws are pretty strict. I know some people get away with darker, but I have been pulled over twice in an older vehicle for tint. I really don't want that attention.

Here is a brief breakdown of my timeline. I took out all date changes between order and VIN, because they honestly mean nothing. My suggestion is to not track your date changes until you get a VIN. That's when it matters. Also, pick cash and no trade until you get the VIN. You can change them then.

Order date: February 18 (March website estimate)
EDD (Feb 19): June 13 - July 11
VIN assigned April 25
Delivery Date May 15

West coast generally has less time between VIN and delivery, so keep that in mind.

After very briefly driving today, here are my observations:

First, keep in mind I have only ever own vehicles costing half the price of this car. I cannot compare to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, Lexus, etc.

What I will say is the interior design does not look cheap. Yes, there are hard plastics in many places. They are textured in a way to make them look more premium than they are. In contrast, my MX-5 has hard plastic and it looks like cheap, hard plastic. I've never purchased a car based on luxury features, only performance and technology.

I also mentioned in a previous post, but I had no significant panel gap issues. Only slight misalignment around a couple light housings, but you could only tell if you run your finger around them.

A couple of things I really like are the driver side door and center console area have cushioning where your legs would rest on them. I do this a lot while driving, so I notice it. The other thing I noticed is just how comfortable the seats are. Like I said, I've never owned a luxury brand, but these are really comfortable. I could imagine them not having enough bolstering if tracking the vehicle, however.

Of course, the acceleration is like nothing I've ever experienced as a regular driver. The acceleration even at highway speeds is still impressive. While entering the highway, I was able to speed past a guy who would not move over for me. I can see the instant acceleration being a nice safety feature as long as your reaction time is good enough.

The ride comfort is about as good as my wife's CR-V that has WAY more sidewall than this vehicle. Of course, it's also way more compliant than my MX-5, but that's also been lowered on firmer coilovers.

The other Easter eggs are pretty fun, (boombox custom MP3s, especially), but I can see them wearing out quickly.

I took the wife out as my first passenger. After cussing at me the first time, she really started to enjoy the acceleration. Once she was driving, she gunned it a couple of times on her own and then asked when she was getting her Tesla. We'll have to wait until she's out of school for that one.

20220529_102738[1].jpg
20220529_102750[1].jpg
20220529_102756[1].jpg
20220529_102809[1].jpg
20220529_102830[1].jpg
20220529_102841[1].jpg
20220529_102859[1].jpg

I finally picked the car back up today. It looks great after PPF, tint and the wet sanding in a couple places. The body shop was able to take out the small imperfections in the paint and I'm really happy with the results. I will have to take the car back to the PPF guy on the 8th to finish the driver side doors and front quarter panel.

The tint is not that dark because I live in GA and the laws are pretty strict. I know some people get away with darker, but I have been pulled over twice in an older vehicle for tint. I really don't want that attention.

Here is a brief breakdown of my timeline. I took out all date changes between order and VIN, because they honestly mean nothing. My suggestion is to not track your date changes until you get a VIN. That's when it matters. Also, pick cash and no trade until you get the VIN. You can change them then.

Order date: February 18 (March website estimate)
EDD (Feb 19): June 13 - July 11
VIN assigned April 25
Delivery Date May 15

West coast generally has less time between VIN and delivery, so keep that in mind.

After very briefly driving today, here are my observations:

First, keep in mind I have only ever own vehicles costing half the price of this car. I cannot compare to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, Lexus, etc.

What I will say is the interior design does not look cheap. Yes, there are hard plastics in many places. They are textured in a way to make them look more premium than they are. In contrast, my MX-5 has hard plastic and it looks like cheap, hard plastic. I've never purchased a car based on luxury features, only performance and technology.

I also mentioned in a previous post, but I had no significant panel gap issues. Only slight misalignment around a couple light housings, but you could only tell if you run your finger around them.

A couple of things I really like are the driver side door and center console area have cushioning where your legs would rest on them. I do this a lot while driving, so I notice it. The other thing I noticed is just how comfortable the seats are. Like I said, I've never owned a luxury brand, but these are really comfortable. I could imagine them not having enough bolstering if tracking the vehicle, however.

Of course, the acceleration is like nothing I've ever experienced as a regular driver. The acceleration even at highway speeds is still impressive. While entering the highway, I was able to speed past a guy who would not move over for me. I can see the instant acceleration being a nice safety feature as long as your reaction time is good enough.

The ride comfort is about as good as my wife's CR-V that has WAY more sidewall than this vehicle. Of course, it's also way more compliant than my MX-5, but that's also been lowered on firmer coilovers.

The other Easter eggs are pretty fun, (boombox custom MP3s, especially), but I can see them wearing out quickly.

I took the wife out as my first passenger. After cussing at me the first time, she really started to enjoy the acceleration. Once she was driving, she gunned it a couple of times on her own and then asked when she was getting her Tesla. We'll have to wait until she's out of school for that one.

View attachment 810347View attachment 810348View attachment 810350View attachment 810351View attachment 810352View attachment 810353View attachment 810355
Hey Jesse, so the body shop didn't have to repaint? Just wet sanding?

Reactions: Young Phenom

I am happy that you are happy. I think you will be sharing the car some as you are an intelligent fellow. :):) I am happy too. Enjoy.