Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry if this has been answered, but why is the range disparity from LR to P so dramatic? 38 miles is quite a bit, is that fully attributable to the 20" wheels? If I did LR I would do the Performance boost, does that compromise range at all (not factoring in lead foot, just apples to apples comparison?). Regarding the boost, I read an article somewhere that said the 0-60 times were:

LR = 4.2
LR + Boost = 3.7
Performance = 3.1

Why would the second option not be the same as Performance, if not faster, due to lighter wheels?

A little random, but I'm going to post it here. Maybe I'll make a thread if people think its warranted. I have been super torn on choosing between the regular LR AWD with boost, or the performance. I did the math, and the price difference is a lot closer if you dig deeper. The difference up front is 8,500 if you include sales tax. You subtract the 2k for boost, youre left with 6500. For me, and I assume a lot of other people, will not keep this car for 10 years. So i think a reasonable assumption (based on KBB) is that the performance will yield you 3k more than the regular AWD come resale or trade in time. That is just a trade in estimate btw, the number is greater if you were to sell private. So now the difference is only 3,500. If you were to add summer tires, or different wheels to the AWD, then the number is essentially 0. The other thing that is not taken into account that would increase the difference would be interest, but it would be around 500 or so over 6 years. So all in all, the performance is actually great value if you dont mind the 20 inch wheels. And of course it comes with other goodies as well.

Reactions: Ralbright
A little random, but I'm going to post it here. Maybe I'll make a thread if people think its warranted. I have been super torn on choosing between the regular LR AWD with boost, or the performance. I did the math, and the price difference is a lot closer if you dig deeper. The difference up front is 8,500 if you include sales tax. You subtract the 2k for boost, youre left with 6500. For me, and I assume a lot of other people, will not keep this car for 10 years. So i think a reasonable assumption (based on KBB) is that the performance will yield you 3k more than the regular AWD come resale or trade in time. That is just a trade in estimate btw, the number is greater if you were to sell private. So now the difference is only 3,500. If you were to add summer tires, or different wheels to the AWD, then the number is essentially 0. The other thing that is not taken into account that would increase the difference would be interest, but it would be around 500 or so over 6 years. So all in all, the performance is actually great value if you dont mind the 20 inch wheels. And of course it comes with other goodies as well.

i agree, knowing I would upgraded the wheels on a LR, and pay for boost, its not much more for the performance. The issue I have, is I don't really like dark wheels, and the Performance does not allow for winter wheels/tires (since they need 20" due to breaks). So the LR seems to be my only option where I could run 18/19" wheels in the winter, and then run 20s in the warm months...

sorry if this has been answered, but why is the range disparity from LR to P so dramatic? 38 miles is quite a bit, is that fully attributable to the 20" wheels? If I did LR I would do the Performance boost, does that compromise range at all (not factoring in lead foot, just apples to apples comparison?). Regarding the boost, I read an article somewhere that said the 0-60 times were:

LR = 4.2
LR + Boost = 3.7
Performance = 3.1

Why would the second option not be the same as Performance, if not faster, due to lighter wheels?

It's my understanding that the acceleration is purely software. The range is affected by the wheels, the size, their weight, and the aerodynamics of them. Ignoring lead foot, no the boost will not affect range. But lead foot is real, and it will affect range.

i agree, knowing I would upgraded the wheels on a LR, and pay for boost, its not much more for the performance. The issue I have, is I don't really like dark wheels, and the Performance does not allow for winter wheels/tires (since they need 20" due to breaks). So the LR seems to be my only option where I could run 18/19" wheels in the winter, and then run 20s in the warm months...
I dont have to worry about the winter, so it makes my decision easier. You can get aftermarket 18's and 19's for the performance.

Jeff....You are definitely getting biased opinions asking your question in a forum full of guys who ordered the performance cars! I had the same dilemma as you. I thought about it CONSTANTLY until I switched my car to a performance model. Have not given it a thought since then! That tells me that in my situation, that was the right choice FOR ME.

You'll love it either way. If you have the money, get the "P". I'll leave you with this quote from a local pool installer who shared this with me when I was deciding what size in-ground pool to get installed. He said "well.....I've never had a client come back and say "I wish I had put in a smaller pool", but I frequently get people saying that they wish they had put in a larger one". I liken that to the LR AWD vs. P decision. I doubt many "P" owners have ever said "you know, I wish I had gone with the LR AWD"!

My $.02

Todd

check your Accts! I just got moved up from Mar 9-31 to feb 19- March 9 whoo hoo

Well....I do that every day anyway! Unfortunately, my date is still March 3-31. I ordered 12/29/20. North Carolina delivery. Any east coast guys have a delivery date before March? Anyone on the east coast already have their car delivered in the 1st quarter? I'm patiently waiting, but I'll be pissed if I don't get my car in March!

Todd

Jeff....You are definitely getting biased opinions asking your question in a forum full of guys who ordered the performance cars! I had the same dilemma as you. I thought about it CONSTANTLY until I switched my car to a performance model. Have not given it a thought since then! That tells me that in my situation, that was the right choice FOR ME.

You'll love it either way. If you have the money, get the "P". I'll leave you with this quote from a local pool installer who shared this with me when I was deciding what size in-ground pool to get installed. He said "well.....I've never had a client come back and say "I wish I had put in a smaller pool", but I frequently get people saying that they wish they had put in a larger one". I liken that to the LR AWD vs. P decision. I doubt many "P" owners have ever said "you know, I wish I had gone with the LR AWD"!

My $.02

Todd
oh I'm not asking a question. I decided on the P. Just letting other people know the real math if they stumble upon this thread and have the same dilemma. It's an easier decision to make when in the long run, its really not that much more expensive.