Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks so much for understanding SpaceCash. There are some here at TMC that think I'm being picky, and truth be told......I am. I expect the fit & finish of a brand new upscale vehicle to be put together far better than this. The pictures I took in the rain and poor lighting don't do justice to truly how bad the panel alignments were, it looked as if it was totaled and a crappy body shop rebuilt the car. Shame on Tesla management, engineers, shift supervisors, and if there is such a thing as a quality control team in Fremont FIRE THEM!!!!
Its good to create that list off the truck but my understanding is a lot goes on between then and delivery. I wouldnt judge a Tesla build immediately after being pulled off the truck

I think everyone has different expectations for their cars (and products in general), and it's totally fine for them to be different. I think you have to be realistic with your expectations for a Tesla. It's simply not as well put together as a Porsche, Audi, etc. It is what it is. I don't mean any offense by this, but if you need to have your panel gaps consistent and your build quality top notch, I think you'd save yourself a lot of frustration by moving on from Tesla. To get that higher tier of fit and finish, there are options. Taycan, e-Tron, e-Tron GT, probably a Polestar 2. None of them will be as fast of course (unless you go e-Tron RS GT, Taycan Turbo which are more than twice as expensive), and they will all be more expensive even in base spec, but they will be very well constructed. One of my coworkers had a recently purchased e-Tron that I had a chance to check out, and it was very nice. Driving experience will differ amongst them all, but there are options. I would say Mustang Mach-E GT, but let's be honest, Ford's build quality is garbage.

100% agree with this. Expectations need to be in line with what they deliver, versus what you expect. There are compromises. Gas vs Electric. Model S vs Model 3. Model 3 LR vs Performance. Build quality vs performance.

These issues with Tesla are well known and well documented. Whether or not you can tolerate the build issues should be factored in to your decision. You have a better chance of spotting a unicorn than waiting on a perfect Tesla.

I was deciding between an M3P and a Cadillac CT5-V. There are a lot of factors that went into the decision, including build quality. I picked the Tesla for the tech and performance, which were more important to me than the other factors.

If the build quality is more important than tech, brand, or performance to you, then I’d move along from Tesla. I too wish the build quality werre better, but it’s not, so you HAVE to factor that in versus hoping for a magical unicorn to appear.

Tim

Reactions: Doug_U_AGrave
I think everyone has different expectations for their cars (and products in general), and it's totally fine for them to be different. I think you have to be realistic with your expectations for a Tesla. It's simply not as well put together as a Porsche, Audi, etc. It is what it is. I don't mean any offense by this, but if you need to have your panel gaps consistent and your build quality top notch, I think you'd save yourself a lot of frustration by moving on from Tesla. To get that higher tier of fit and finish, there are options. Taycan, e-Tron, e-Tron GT, probably a Polestar 2. None of them will be as fast of course (unless you go e-Tron RS GT, Taycan Turbo which are more than twice as expensive), and they will all be more expensive even in base spec, but they will be very well constructed. One of my coworkers had a recently purchased e-Tron that I had a chance to check out, and it was very nice. Driving experience will differ amongst them all, but there are options. I would say Mustang Mach-E GT, but let's be honest, Ford's build quality is garbage.
Are the Model S's any better? I haven't seen a new one sitting anywhere that I can look at. I've seen many Model 3 Performance's that I'd accept in a heartbeat that in my eyes were perfect. I've also seen an equal number that looked like rebuilt wrecks. It floors me to see inconsistencies like that coming out of the same factory.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Are the Model S's any better? I haven't seen a new one sitting anywhere that I can look at. I've seen many Model 3 Performance's that I'd accept in a heartbeat that in my eyes were perfect. I've also seen an equal number that looked like rebuilt wrecks. It floors me to see inconsistencies like that coming out of the same factory.

This I don’t understand myself. You’d think robots would be most consistent? I think they have prioritized volume over quality, and with the demand, they can get away with it (for now). Can’t speak to the S, especially as they were just retooled.

Tim

I think, at least before the refresh, there were still inconsistencies. I did see multiple people talking about the ones at the refresh event looking really good, and I think Motor Trend mentioned the one they got their hands one looked very good, but those are obviously selected, so who knows. Maybe the new ones will be more consistent. If you see some that you find are acceptable, that's good. Of course, the frustrating thing is the waiting. You reject one and it's probably three months to get another shot unless you find a good one that pops up for sale. Maybe the one you saw will look better after they work on it before delivery. I hope you get one you like, as I do think it's a great car, and a really nice daily driver.

I think, at least before the refresh, there were still inconsistencies. I did see multiple people talking about the ones at the refresh event looking really good, and I think Motor Trend mentioned the one they got their hands one looked very good, but those are obviously selected, so who knows. Maybe the new ones will be more consistent. If you see some that you find are acceptable, that's good. Of course, the frustrating thing is the waiting. You reject one and it's probably three months to get another shot unless you find a good one that pops up for sale. Maybe the one you saw will look better after they work on it before delivery. I hope you get one you like, as I do think it's a great car, and a really nice daily driver.

Agreed. Mine is really good too, although not perfect. The front end is excellent, I have a significant panel gap where the passenger side mirror meets the front door and fender. My steering wheel is a degree or two off. And my back glass is installed slightly crooked. Rear end is perfect, as are the door alignments and paint.

But when I get in and drive it, it’s so awesome I’ve learned to overlook the imperfections. No one I have ever showed the car to has noticed any of it. Good case of “Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good”.

At the end of the day, each person has to decide how patient/what they are willing to tolerate. Gulfcoaster has very valid expectations, and I get it as I struggle with that kind of stuff myself. TBH some of my posts are me convincing myself of things!

Tim

They are great cars outside of the heinous build quality. I just can't figure out why they can't address these QC issues on the production line.......It is literally Russian Roulette and amazing luck getting a M3 thats acceptable, to me anyways.

They are great cars outside of the heinous build quality. I just can't figure out why they can't address these QC issues on the production line.......It is literally Russian Roulette and amazing luck getting a M3 thats acceptable, to me anyways.
As not fun as it is, its the luck getting a bad build at this point given the volume they are producing. It sucks regardless, but as an owner previously of vin 18xxx (sold for the new M3P)... today's production is fantastic.

Hope you get some better weather over there than I had for our delivery!
Amazing weather, 80s sunny, here in Charlotte….perfect easy delivery….im insane picky….this is my 59th car in my 54 years…..absolutely perfect, red paint perfect, gaps perfect, interior perfect, had a rattle in pass front door on way home…..found it to be seat belt tapping trim….repositioned, perfect…..not a spot anywhere, wheels perfect….I saw a bunch of questions on inclusions……carpeted mats included, chrome model 3 plate frame included…..referral supercharger miles, we’re in my app instantly, although expire 12/25/21……didn’t think they expire?…..my old S never had a worry….app hooked right up on the spot, there is some trial for some fad functions, and of course 1yr premium connectivity included…..simply friggin awesome!…..every schedule met, every time frame met…..
scheduled for mobile home link install on July 2…..reasonable time frame for sure….❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• 55A5AC7B-99F3-4FB1-A604-A03D46F1D761.jpeg
    55A5AC7B-99F3-4FB1-A604-A03D46F1D761.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 3CD3B734-6022-4A6E-887F-8284AF458DED.jpeg
    3CD3B734-6022-4A6E-887F-8284AF458DED.jpeg
    730.9 KB · Views: 78
I'm on the verge of just cancelling outright. No one returns/responds to a simple text or email. No one at the delivery center picks up, it goes to voicemail. Had to connect to "sales" just to reach anyone, where I was then told my vehicle is on track for August-September. They make sure to pick up for "SALES" though. How in the absolute ####?

Yes, I'm upset. I'm beginning to get very upset--when I ordered this car, I was told 6-8 weeks/the end of June at the absolute latest. I was told on numerous occasions that my vehicle was on track for late May, early June, then middle of June and finally end of June "for sure". Only to now be told it's looking like August-September? After placing my order over two months ago?????

If I was at least made aware this was possible, it would have been bearable/acceptable or I would've never placed an order in the first place. This experience is a joke, their customer service is a joke and it feels like I'm being continually skipped over for allocations when everything that's supposed to be completed/within my hands have been completed since April 17th.

I am pissed tf off!

/vent

For data, I rejected my M3P delivery today. Hood had a noticeable ding, one door wouldn't close unless slammed, paint chip on driver side door, large panel gaps on passenger side. SA said it will take up to 1-2 weeks to repair in future appt. No thanks.

I'm on the verge of just cancelling outright. No one returns/responds to a simple text or email. No one at the delivery center picks up, it goes to voicemail. Had to connect to "sales" just to reach anyone, where I was then told my vehicle is on track for August-September. They make sure to pick up for "SALES" though. How in the absolute ####?

Yes, I'm upset. I'm beginning to get very upset--when I ordered this car, I was told 6-8 weeks/the end of June at the absolute latest. I was told on numerous occasions that my vehicle was on track for late May, early June, then middle of June and finally end of June "for sure". Only to now be told it's looking like August-September? After placing my order over two months ago?????

If I was at least made aware this was possible, it would have been bearable/acceptable or I would've never placed an order in the first place. This experience is a joke, their customer service is a joke and it feels like I'm being continually skipped over for allocations when everything that's supposed to be completed/within my hands have been completed since April 17th.

I am pissed tf off!

/vent
Hang in there. As a first time Tesla buyer, I feel the exact same way. Customer service is a joke. I'm pretty sure I was assigned a car that someone rejected.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Just took delivery today of my red w/white interior. This is my third Tesla, I had a very early model S, and a VERY early 2017 model 3 (vin around 2500) which this one is replacing. They’ve definitely gotten better at making cars. This is the first one that didn’t have minor issues on delivery, something I’d come to accept since they’re just too fun to drive. Fit and finish looks great (though I’m not measuring gaps with a micrometer), and the performance diff from the old one is… uhhh… rather noticeable. :) Quite a bit quieter and less vibey too.

I'm on the verge of just cancelling outright. No one returns/responds to a simple text or email. No one at the delivery center picks up, it goes to voicemail. Had to connect to "sales" just to reach anyone

Correct. There is no way to contact anyone at Tesla other than by using the app (which requires a car) or asking for "sales". All the other phone numbers & voicemail/email boxes were abandoned years ago.
If it helps, there's nothing anyone could tell you anyway. Tesla produces in batches that approximate the demand and then assign VINs according to shipping logistics, etc. so there's no reliable way to estimate any one particular delivery.
In L.A. you'll either get your car on 6/29 or 9/29. Those are really the only days they deliver to SoCal. Once you have it you can contact them thru the app and they're quite responsive and helpful.

Amazing weather, 80s sunny, here in Charlotte….perfect easy delivery….im insane picky….this is my 59th car in my 54 years…..absolutely perfect, red paint perfect, gaps perfect, interior perfect, had a rattle in pass front door on way home…..found it to be seat belt tapping trim….repositioned, perfect…..not a spot anywhere, wheels perfect….I saw a bunch of questions on inclusions……carpeted mats included, chrome model 3 plate frame included…..referral supercharger miles, we’re in my app instantly, although expire 12/25/21……didn’t think they expire?…..my old S never had a worry….app hooked right up on the spot, there is some trial for some fad functions, and of course 1yr premium connectivity included…..simply friggin awesome!…..every schedule met, every time frame met…..
scheduled for mobile home link install on July 2…..reasonable time frame for sure….❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Fantastic news Carolina BMXers!!! Looks amazing. I would have been THRILLED to have the one I ordered look like that!! mine was atrocious. Enjoy it, fantastic car.

Reactions: CarolinaBMXers