Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Performance looks to be officially out for any rebates...lame. Thinking of changing my order from a performance to a LR and buy the performance boost. Thoughts? I see a lot of posts on this thread who sell their LR for a performance. Why is that? Styling, faster acceleration, handling?? Also considering a Model Y Performance as it will qualify for $8000 off sticker making it cheaper than a Model 3 Performance. Really wanted a sedan though to do some autocross with. Model Y seems unfit for the track plus I prefer the look of the 3 vs Y. Help!!!! Thoughts please.
Yes the cap at 55k for sedans is unfortunate. I was going to get a Performance and I'm one of those upgrading from a LR. My reason for opting for P this time was more of a "why not" as I feel I'm going to make out well in terms of depreciation and resale of our '18 LR. Plus I've always had a few moments of regret of not getting the Performance originally. That said the LR is plenty fast for a daily driver and even weekend car and honestly unless you live in a very uncrowded area you won't be able to accelerate for more than short moments very often. I think the LR with acceleration boost is the goldilocks for those who want practical and speed. If you think you'll track or autox your car than yes you want performance just for track mode. Traction and stability control are very intrusive in the LR.

One other reason I wanted a Performance for was very winter driving. It'd be nice to be able to have a little oversteer sometimes in a empty snowy parking lot or back road. Not sure that's worth 9k though.

I received a message back from Tesla. Looks like there are some shipping delays across multiple delivery centers…almost makes it seem like it was never shipped at all when I received my EDD after receiving my purchase agreement.

“Good morning -
based on our current shipping details for several customer, we have experienced minor delays in arranging final movement of some Teslas to their final delivery centers across the country. There are no concerns that I see on your account holding this up, just the travel time of your vehicle from California to Plano.
Keep an eye out for updates in the next few days on a final delivery window that we can schedule you for!
-Tesla Support”

This wait is kill
Question:

When you get assigned a VIN, what part of the build is done? Is your car fully assembled, or have parts just been identified? What does this signify?
Id like to know this as well. I got my updated Edd FROM 11-07/12/09 to Updated as of this morning 11-07/11-23 does this mean its narrowing in on my build and delivery I might be getting close in the q

Yes the cap at 55k for sedans is unfortunate. I was going to get a Performance and I'm one of those upgrading from a LR. My reason for opting for P this time was more of a "why not" as I feel I'm going to make out well in terms of depreciation and resale of our '18 LR. Plus I've always had a few moments of regret of not getting the Performance originally. That said the LR is plenty fast for a daily driver and even weekend car and honestly unless you live in a very uncrowded area you won't be able to accelerate for more than short moments very often. I think the LR with acceleration boost is the goldilocks for those who want practical and speed. If you think you'll track or autox your car than yes you want performance just for track mode. Traction and stability control are very intrusive in the LR.

One other reason I wanted a Performance for was very winter driving. It'd be nice to be able to have a little oversteer sometimes in a empty snowy parking lot or back road. Not sure that's worth 9k though.
Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like I would be one of those guys who wishes they got the performance if I didn’t. Every time I accelerated I would wonder what I’m missing. I say I want to track it, but who knows really. Two kids and lots of sports leaves little time. Probably mostly something to run around in. Not a daily driver. I could do without the 20” performance wheels as I planned to replace those day 1. Same with the suspension. I plan to lower the car so even on the performance I would be replacing the suspension. From the outside they would then look identical. I can buy a set of pedal covers. So I would be missing “track mode”, and the acceleration. Brakes and Spoiler too I suppose. Not sure I’ll need the brakes if I end up not tracking it. And the spoiler I’ll match to a body kit eventually. So it comes down to things I can not replace, track mode and a 3.1 0-60.

Reactions: xPETEx
Ordered 10/14
Vin assigned 10/28
Edd 11/9-11/19

Ohio msm white interior. No fsd
wow you'll get yours fast! kinda in the same boat.

Ordered 10/26
EDD 11/11-12-09
NEW EDD 11/11-11/23

hoping to get VIN maybe by next week.

got the M3P White on Black no FSD. its probably easier for them to push those orders out not sure how it works. Cheers! good luck!

Reactions: Marionettez3
Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like I would be one of those guys who wishes they got the performance if I didn’t. Every time I accelerated I would wonder what I’m missing. I say I want to track it, but who knows really. Two kids and lots of sports leaves little time. Probably mostly something to run around in. Not a daily driver. I could do without the 20” performance wheels as I planned to replace those day 1. Same with the suspension. I plan to lower the car so even on the performance I would be replacing the suspension. From the outside they would then look identical. I can buy a set of pedal covers. So I would be missing “track mode”, and the acceleration. Brakes and Spoiler too I suppose. Not sure I’ll need the brakes if I end up not tracking it. And the spoiler I’ll match to a body kit eventually. So it comes down to things I can not replace, track mode and a 3.1 0-60.
Same exact boat as you. We already own a LR MY and love it. I placed the M3P order in May and told my SA at the time I wanted to see what happened with a potential tax credit later in the year. He put the order on hold until 10/1/21. When it became unfrozen a few weeks back, i had them delay it again until 1/1/22. No issues with that.

Now here we are with a good chance of $55K cap on sedans for the credit. Truly sucks and a mind screw. I had no issues with spending an extra $7-8k to get the performance but with that difference now being $15ish, it feels irresponsible financially. But then there’s the regret of not getting the Performance! I go back and forth no less than 15 times per day. I’m going to wait until this thing is finalized before I ultimately make my decision. But I feel your pain.

Same exact boat as you. We already own a LR MY and love it. I placed the M3P order in May and told my SA at the time I wanted to see what happened with a potential tax credit later in the year. He put the order on hold until 10/1/21. When it became unfrozen a few weeks back, i had them delay it again until 1/1/22. No issues with that.

Now here we are with a good chance of $55K cap on sedans for the credit. Truly sucks and a mind screw. I had no issues with spending an extra $7-8k to get the performance but with that difference now being $15ish, it feels irresponsible financially. But then there’s the regret of not getting the Performance! I go back and forth no less than 15 times per day. I’m going to wait until this thing is finalized before I ultimately make my decision. But I feel your pain.
Same boat here too. I sold my LR already to get the Performance. I’m probably going to end up getting it no matter what and just look at it as “I was going to buy it for this price even if the credits didn’t pass, so I was already prepared to pay this much”. I already had an LR so even if it’s a lot cheaper it’s not the car I want.

Reactions: Glendale MY