Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The evidence is in the removal of the suspension from the website. Do you have a link To where you saw that post?

I know I’m being dramatic: According to Tesla, the car should've been delivered 2 months ago.

#567, #568, #571, #576.

Plenty of evidence.

I don't think the part numbers have changed. There's conflicting information so I think it's a bit misleading to definitively say it isn't performance suspension anymore. We do know that the tires changed (and are actually quite good from a performance aspect, just not as good as the class leading Michelin). You just have some people who want to gripe about everything. Which is their right, but it is misleading when you lump everything into a purview that Tesla is 100% bad at everythnig.
I was anticipating a way more bumpier ride with the 20" wheels and Pirelli tires. I can feel the bumps in the road a little more than I did in my ICE car, but it isn't that bad at all. Tires are pretty quite too.

I never said they were 100% bad at "everything". That's you being over dramatic. The userbase has more often than not been right about these kinds of things, so I'm standing firm that the suspension has been nerfed. And THIS is incredibly important for someone who is autocrossing, because if you change the car from stock (even the springs) then it's going to dump you into a more competitive class. If you purchase this car with the intentions of running it in stock class than you will be at a bigger disadvantage than if you had picked up a 2021 model.

To be fair though, they haven't really done anything right so far, and I can say with complete confidence that this is the single worst purchase experience I have ever witnessed.
Just a heads up. I did see a Reddit post yesterday where Tesla refused some type of warranty work because the suspension on the car was aftermarket. I'll try to find the link.

• Informative
Reactions: jessepotter
I was anticipating a way more bumpier ride with the 20" wheels and Pirelli tires. I can feel the bumps in the road a little more than I did in my ICE car, but it isn't that bad at all. Tires are pretty quite too.
That's good to know. I think aesthically it doesn't look as nice as the Michelins. I heard the tire wear was not great at all though. What car(s) did you have in the experience? I think many of the people complaining about the ride quality might not necessarily of came from performance oriented cars. Having a lot of 3 series and Hondas\Acuras before that, I don't think the Teslas are harsh at all. I can imagine one thinking so if they their experience was with cars with soft suspension though.

#567, #568, #571, #576.

Plenty of evidence.
Evidence, yes. Not plenty. I'd love to be wrong here. The best evidence would be for someone to take a look at the part numbers that should be stamped on the springs and compare those.

Did the battery pack also change for 2022? If so, is it lighter or heavier?

Congrats! Good to see Canada getting some M3P VIN love
Wooohoo! I had opened my app, saw no EDD change then closed it. Then about 10 seconds later I got an email about the final payment stuff. Opened the app again and saw the new EDD. Ran back to my PC and checked the source code for the VIN and it was there. Hopefully it updates on the account soon.

Tried calling Tesla to get them to open the financing portal for me but their hold time is over an hour. I requested a call back via the IVR.

Evidence, yes. Not plenty. I'd love to be wrong here. The best evidence would be for someone to take a look at the part numbers that should be stamped on the springs and compare those.

Did the battery pack also change for 2022? If so, is it lighter or heavier?
There's part numbers in there. They added a "c" or something at the end IIRC. You should look at manufacturer listed dry weight if you want to look at the true weight of the car, not a certain part as you don't know if they offset it in other ways.

Here's another example of height:

There's certainly a good amount of people who think it's the tire. Many of these people have measured both cars and have owned both versions. I would choose to trust them over people who just assume so because of a perceived wheel gap. I have owned PS4s in my M3. They are much bigger than what is listed. A 235 PS4 is closer to a 245 than 235. Maybe even 255.

• Informative
Reactions: jessepotter
I think I saw the same post here. I think they had control arm issues. I don't blame Tesla in this case as any other manufacturer would do the same thing.
Normally I’d agree with that but the Tesla upper control arms are a bad unit that will likely fail under the stock suspension setup which has happened a lot. They repack the grease in them after certain intervals during service visits.

That's good to know. I think aesthically it doesn't look as nice as the Michelins. I heard the tire wear was not great at all though. What car(s) did you have in the experience? I think many of the people complaining about the ride quality might not necessarily of came from performance oriented cars. Having a lot of 3 series and Hondas\Acuras before that, I don't think the Teslas are harsh at all. I can imagine one thinking so if they their experience was with cars with soft suspension though.
A Honda and a Lexus. Thankfully the roads and highways where I live are in good shape

I'd pitch a fit personally, the Magnuson-Moss Act covers this exact scenario unless they can prove that aftermarket parts caused the failure.
You can certainly do so and will most likely lose. You will probably not want to incur the expense nor wait it out in court for years to see your case to the end. All you need to do is put your case against Tesla, BMW, Audi, Honda, etc.. Not too bad if you have some high powered lawyers on retention. /s

The key detail is that "aftermarket parts" as used by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act means OEM equivalent parts (fit, form, and function). It's not a license to mod like many car enthusiasts seem to think it is. Mods are not "aftermarket parts" covered by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. I hope that provides some clarity.

Normally I’d agree with that but the Tesla upper control arms are a bad unit that will likely fail under the stock suspension setup which has happened a lot. They repack the grease in them after certain intervals during service visits.

Perhaps that was a bad point, but you can say that suspension travel that isn't OEM could exacerbate any failures. Also, who installed the part? Is it a certified mechanic?

Let me add, I have modified MANY, MANY of my cars. Changed out suspension on almost all of them up into the last few years (getting older, different priorities). I have gone as far as removing the entire engine block to get the block resleeved, titanium rods, port polish the heads, new cams, valves, valve springs, etc.. My disclaimer is I am not anti-mod, I just understand the risks that come with it.

A Honda and a Lexus. Thankfully the roads and highways where I live are in good shape
How would it compare to your Lexus (also which one?)

edit: P.S. Another example of ride height (not aimed at you directly)