Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many posts throughout the forum and also looking at the Google sheet of Order data on the site - VINs are NOT sequential. Don’t get too hung up on what that VIN is - unless you really are willing to get back in line and wait another 3 months. At a minimum, I would think it would be worth an inspection first, to see if there’s anything requiring a service appointment or more severe that would require you to reject a car. I think @GolfProGiff is the only one I‘ve read of this year - getting a very clearly, out of specification car (twice over, I think).

You can also check the DMV documents that are loaded in your account and check the Odometer miles listed on there. I know there was talk about 15 miles in earlier posts. Mine actually had 69miles on the paperwork (I thought it was a joke), and when I actually took delivery. Don’t know how or why there were that many miles put on it…maybe it was driven from factory to a truck pickup point far away. VIN was a 232,xxx. Door jamb sticker says built 6/2022. Aside from a few minor paint defects only my Wrap shop pointed out to me, the car was immaculate.

The build quality issues and rejected VINs stuff are a little more magnified in a small group setting such as this and I think the majority of us picked up a great car. Had me stressed out a little too much so. Enjoy the delivery and getting your car earlier than forecasted. It’ll be awesome!

*Edit - I see that this isn’t your first Tesla so I know you’ve been on this roller coaster more than I. I was mainly trying to alleviate some concerns as the Q3 orders start delivering. Cheers!
Mine was perfect the first time around. You may be thinking @Gulfcoaster and I may be wrong that it’s him either

Reactions: julit0
i appreciate that thank you! I just thought you know, the next one might be the same or worse since you never know what you’re getting from Tesla! Plus I’d get an expired loan with likely increases in interest rates/potential cancellation of my order with increased price/ and just an overall longer wait for potentially more of the same 😂

OD 6/16 White/Black in SoCal (SFV), VIN on 7/25 and delivery 7/26. Built one week ago on 7/18
Congratulations. That’s my color combo too. Guess the SA I spoke with was right about white/ black being built that Friday before. Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Congratulations. That’s my color combo too. Guess the SA I spoke with was right about white/ black being built that Friday before. Enjoy!!
Man, I hate this for you. Must be super frustrating, seeing people who ordered the same combo way after you take delivery.

Here's another question for you - do we know of anyone taking delivery at the factory lately? Maybe they keep pushing you off (this time) because they haven't opened factory deliveries back up yet, or something stupid like that...

I know when Covid first hit, a few people who bought BMWs, and were doing Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina got screwed, because they initially thought it was going to be something quick... so they just pushed those peoples' deliveries back for weeks before they figured out that they needed a different way to handle things.

Man, I hate this for you. Must be super frustrating, seeing people who ordered the same combo way after you take delivery.

Here's another question for you - do we know of anyone taking delivery at the factory lately? Maybe they keep pushing you off (this time) because they haven't opened factory deliveries back up yet, or something stupid like that...

I know when Covid first hit, a few people who bought BMWs, and were doing Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina got screwed, because they initially thought it was going to be something quick... so they just pushed those peoples' deliveries back for weeks before they figured out that they needed a different way to handle things.
I have no idea what the issue is. I haven’t called anymore. I’m gonna ride it out and see how long it takes. I start my 5th two week window in 2 days. See what happens. The one thing that is irritating is the interest rate hikes. That’s where I feel slighted. While it’s only a marginal increase each time it’s still money out.

OD 5/20 for Blue with black interior M3P and I have a scheduled delivery for 7/30. This is the 3rd VIN I have had since ordering and the first one to get this far. I had one other last week of June that was down to a 4 day window that they said was on a truck headed to me but they gave the car away to someone on the west coast due to end of quarter. But hopefully this one sticks and I actually get the car Saturday!

For anyone else who ends up needing a delay in delivery, this is what the SA texted me back:

Hello! As you are unable to pick up your Model 3 until September and we have a 3 day policy for needing customers to pick up their cars once it arrives on site, we will need to release this VIN to another customer and put your order back in queue for a rematch when you are ready. Thus, we can put a brief hold on your account until September 1, but this does not guarantee you will get another VIN right away and could be another couple months down the road. If that is okay with you, please let us know and we will help you accordingly!
I put a standard hold on my order(3 months from the date your ordered), came off hold 7/23 EDD changed from Sept - Oct, then the following day changed from to 8/9 - 8/13 and VIN received as well.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
Anyone else here who got their VIN never get a text or email from Tesla? I ask as the only thing I got was the update in the app. Wasn't sure if this was normal or maybe I was an outlier.
I did not get a text or email from Tesla this time around. I did get a text once my vehicle actually left the factory, though - but no communication specifically about the VIN.

Thanks for the welcome!
How can we tell if we are getting a model year 2022 or 2023? If I get a vin and it's a 2022 can I reject it and keep waiting for a 23? Curious as it's later in the year so I was hoping to get a 23 or is that irrelevant with a Tesla?

Thanks for the welcome!
How can we tell if we are getting a model year 2022 or 2023? If I get a vin and it's a 2022 can I reject it and keep waiting for a 23? Curious as it's later in the year so I was hoping to get a 23 or is that irrelevant with a Tesla?
Having a 2023 is completely irrelevant with a Tesla, since they don't make changes based on model years. They will switch over to the 2023 model year sometime in October.

You CAN reject it and keep waiting for a 2023 - but the only thing you're doing is making yourself wait longer! :)

Thanks for the welcome!
If you want a '23 model, it'll probably need to be a December build or later...The M3 refresh happened in 2021, and Tesla doesn't really change things buy model year.

I would rather have the car sooner, rather than later....never know what supply chain shortages may do to builds later in the year - either pushing deliveries well into 2023 or removing even more features. It didn't impact the M3Ps, but there were a bunch of SRs and LRs that were built short of ECUs and sat outside at delivery centers for 4-6 months just waiting for chips.

If you want a '23 model, it'll probably need to be a December build or later...The M3 refresh happened in 2021, and Tesla doesn't really change things buy model year.

I would rather have the car sooner, rather than later....never know what supply chain shortages may do to builds later in the year - either pushing deliveries well into 2023 or removing even more features. It didn't impact the M3Ps, but there were a bunch of SRs and LRs that were built short of ECUs and sat outside at delivery centers for 4-6 months just waiting for chips.
That's a great point. A good example of that is how they removed the data ports from the center console, and made them charging-only ports, starting with all November 2021 builds. Most 2022 Models 3 and Y still don't have access to any games that require a controller. Not saying you care, but definitely saying that's an example of a downgrade based on parts availability.

Of course, we're yet to actually see the effects of this, it seems, but no longer including the mobile charger was almost certainly a decision based on parts availability.

I've said before, I don't any of the existing models will see any positive changes for the next couple of years. They're going to be hyper-focused on ramping up production of the Cybertruck and Semi, and will leave the existing models by the wayside for a bit. I don't think we will see any meaningful changes in the Model 3 until ~late 2024, especially since they just made some major changes in the past year, with the minor facelift, new MCU, etc.

What will definitely happen when they change to the 2023 model year: nothing.

What COULD happen in the few months left between now and then: Removing more features, price increases, etc.

Get one while you can. :)

Reactions: unlock
Ok, think I made a mistake here… OD June-21, I’ve had my M3P EDD window July-27-Aug-14. Last week I added EAP and instantly my EDD changed to Aug-20-Sept-17. My SA ensured (not buying what I was told) me that adding the EAP did not effect my EDD. Anyone else mess up and change their order and have it push the EDD back?

OD June-21-22
EDD now Aug-20/Sept 17
White exterior / black interior
M3P
Added EAP

Also took delivery today! My brother almost convinced me to reject delivery over one issue we had, there were some paint defects we will get fixed but the one thing we noticed was a slight misalignment/possible warp of either the right rear door or the right rear quarter panel. Very hard to notice, but didn’t believe it was worth rejecting delivery for so I accepted. Here are pics of it below! Let me know if you guys would have rejected delivery over it. Overall I’m really happy with the build, it’s not as perfect as the 2022 M3P i took delivery of in December 2021, but it’s pretty darn great! Sorry forgot to take pictures of the actual car😭

View attachment 833262
View attachment 833263
I cant even tell what's wrong with it so I'm sure you're fine. Enjoy the sweet ride!

Of course, we're yet to actually see the effects of this, it seems, but no longer including the mobile charger was almost certainly a decision based on parts availability.
The funny thing about their mobile connector decision is that they said they wouldn't be included with any cars ordered after mid-April, yet every person here who has ordered after mid-April has had the mobile connector kit in the trunk at delivery.

Tesla gonna Tesla.