Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this latest date push I got may also signal that a 2 week delivery window is eminent.
But like Flatbroke and others, dates have changed many times and many have got to the point where they were questioning their decision to order. Most of those folks have since received cars. Some of us are still waiting and navigating around not having that extra car for several months. So naturally, over these now three months, I have second guessed going the Tesla/EV route.

For most, it's not about the gas savings unless you have a long daily commute (I do). And even then, the break even point for a different $40k car would still be 5+ years driving 150 miles per day.
Maybe it's about going green? Not the case for me.
Performance? How many times are you actually using the acceleration after you've done it a few times and showed your family/friends?
Even the aesthetic performance upgrades you pay for on the P model. Many are already replacing their 21" wheels and low profile tires to avoid damage.

So just curious. After all the waiting, second guessing, and evaluating. Especially for those where this is their first Tesla.
You've experienced the speed and what it's like to drive a dead silent EV.
You've been in the cabin long enough to get a sense of the current level of quality offered by Tesla and all of the car's idiosyncrasies.

Was it still worth it?
For me it's evs or bust. I can't drive another ice car. My latest purchase confirms that haha. I bought a ice car just for the track last oct and I still prefer the instant acceleration of m3/evs to it. Also got smoked off the line with a model y perf driving my evora. So trading it in for m3p. The handling is great with evora but the m3p is just as responsive. Have to contend with a little more weight. But track mode and the endless customizations of drive configs will make m3p exciting everyday. fyi, with track mode you can change m3p to rwd, fwd and any combo inbetween. plus not having to deal with maintenance is a plus for me.
with getting the m3p for me really there is almost no downside. if I like the the perf/car great. if not sell it for above what I paid or pretty close and get another car.

I would also recommend turo-ing a m3p if you still unsure. I turoed one earlier this year and trust me the accel never gets old. If you've driven an ev before you will get this. Pretty much every stop light. And for the m3p apart from accel it's the precise, direct handling. My wife uses m3 sr+ even driving that is a thrill since it's rwd. handling is awesome.

ymmv.
PXL_20211015_185744386.jpg

I know this latest date push I got may also signal that a 2 week delivery window is eminent.
But like Flatbroke and others, dates have changed many times and many have got to the point where they were questioning their decision to order. Most of those folks have since received cars. Some of us are still waiting and navigating around not having that extra car for several months. So naturally, over these now three months, I have second guessed going the Tesla/EV route.

For most, it's not about the gas savings unless you have a long daily commute (I do). And even then, the break even point for a different $40k car would still be 5+ years driving 150 miles per day.
Performance? How many times are you actually using the acceleration after you've done it a few times and showed your family/friends?
Even the aesthetic performance upgrades you pay for on the P model. Many are already replacing their 21" wheels and low profile tires to avoid damage.

So just curious. After all the waiting, second guessing, and evaluating. Especially for those where this is their first Tesla.
You've been in the cabin long enough to get a sense of the current level of quality offered by Tesla and all of the car's idiosyncrasies.

Was it still worth it?
For me EVs are really good. Reliable because there is so little to break, fast as you can afford without the insane drawbacks of 1000 hp ICE cars (I have owned a few). All in all, EVs are the future and I am in it. I love EVs.

As far as Tesla goes, as soon as there is an equal speed car available be a long standing car manufacturer, I am jumping ship.

Was it still worth it?
the car is not a cost saver for me at all. It actually costs more for me to drive it. I have a Prius. It gets 50-60 mpg consistently. The range is 500 miles per tank. It is a Prius lol.
I could almost buy 2 Prius for the cost of 1 Tesla
My current electric rate plan has me at tier 2 .39 cents kWh and I’m 31 away from being in tier 3 without ever having an electric car. So that bumps be to .49 cents. Tier 2 usage cost me $575 last bill. On top of tier 1.

The Tesla insurance was 257 monthly from AAA. It is 154 from Tesla. Then it’s $10 a month for the connectivity. The range is not very good. I could not make 200 mile round trip commute without charging somewhere as they say not to go over 90 percent charge and under 20 percent. Charging at Tesla charger took 30 min and was .46 cents kWh at 4 am. It is expensive. Tesla told me Friday to expect to change tires every 15k miles due to soft compound. The tire was over 400 each. As I had a screw in one of my tires already. It’s an expensive car to operate.

All that said. The car is a blast to drive. I love it. It’s not something I’d want to take on a road trip though. Takes too long to recharge. When traveling I like to stop for gas and get back on to destination. Not wait for 30-40 min at each stop. Especially every 150 miles. Edit. If I could afford 2 I’d have a Plaid also. I was not a Tesla fan boy but I like the car a lot. I can’t wait for the range to get better. Then it will be all I own.

Last edited:
the car is not a cost saver for me at all. It actually costs more for me to drive it. I have a Prius. It gets 50-60 mpg consistently. The range is 500 miles per tank. It is a Prius lol.
My current electric rate plan has me at tier 2 .39 cents kWh and I’m 31 away from being in tier 3 without ever having an electric car. So that bumps be to .49 cents. Tier 2 usage cost me $575 last bill. On top of tier 1.

The Tesla insurance was 257 monthly from AAA. It is 154 from Tesla. Then it’s $10 a month for the connectivity. The range is not very good. I could not make 200 mile round trip commute without charging somewhere as they say not to go over 90 percent charge and under 20 percent. Charging at Tesla charger took 30 min and was .46 cents kWh at 4 am. It is expensive. Tesla told me Friday to expect to change tires every 15k miles due to soft compound. The tire was over 400 each. As I had a screw in one of my tires already. It’s an expensive car to operate.

All that said. The car is a blast to drive. I love it. It’s not something I’d want to take on a road trip though. Takes too long to recharge. When traveling I like to stop for gas and get back on to destination. Not wait for 30-40 min at each stop. Especially every 150 miles. Edit. If I could afford 2 I’d have a Plaid also. I was not a Tesla fan boy but I like the car a lot. I can’t wait for the range to get better. Then it will be all I own.
Its a good honest evaluation. If you put that on Reddit, you will get flamed :cool:

I have seen a lot of 70 mph range tests on YouTube, forget the guys name. Flat road in Texas and drive it till it runs out. Seems like most automakers under estimate their range and Tesla over estimates it. Is it possible to get 315 miles on a model Y? Sure, but you need to drive 50 mph the entire time, in perfect conditions.

$575 dollar electric bill? Have you ever considered making the switch to solar? May not be the right place to pitch you this but I work in the Solar industry and may be bias but everyone who has an EV and charges at home should have Solar. Its a no brainer. There are ways to get Solar now with no upfront costs, all it does it reduce a bill you’re already paying for no matter what.

Man you need to get out of California LOL. Those charging and insurance costs are killer.

$575 dollar electric bill? Have you ever considered making the switch to solar? May not be the right place to pitch you this but I work in the Solar industry and may be bias but everyone who has an EV and charges at home should have Solar. Its a no brainer. There are ways to get Solar now with no upfront costs, all it does it reduce a bill you’re already paying for no matter what.
I went solar which is why I am now going EV. Without solar I probably wouldn't have changed.