Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 power frunk/trunk fitting service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in how many people find the foot sensor useful, especially in the light of your observations, @Roy W. I've ordered a frunk kit, and the foot sensor, but I'm in two minds as to whether to bother to install the foot sensor. In all probability I'd open the frunk just as I do now, with the fob most of the time, and I gather the frunk will close just by pressing the internal "emergency" button at the front, so I'll see how easy that is to use in practice, I think.

Reactions: Roy W.
I'd be interested in how many people find the foot sensor useful, especially in the light of your observations, @Roy W. I've ordered a frunk kit, and the foot sensor, but I'm in two minds as to whether to bother to install the foot sensor. In all probability I'd open the frunk just as I do now, with the fob most of the time, and I gather the frunk will close just by pressing the internal "emergency" button at the front, so I'll see how easy that is to use in practice, I think.
I used the foot sensor in my previous vehicle. I did find it useful. However I find I used the key more (I'll probably have to order myself a fob) and I've never some across an foot sensor that has been totally accurate. Everyone I've ever used needed a bit of wiggling. I've paid for the rear sensor but have decided not to fit a sensor on the front.

You’re quite correct, the frunk was demonstrated to me by @Mr H last week, and it can be closed by just pressing the release button inside the trunk. Also by the on-screen button in the car, and the app.

I use the fob all the time, and rarely ever use either the card or my phone (often forget to turn the phone on, as we have no signal here, so it's usually turned off). The fob works very well indeed, both for keyless entry (exactly the same as using the phone) and as a normal remote, by pushing the front, rear or roof areas to open the frunk, boot or unlock the car. It also unlocks the charge port with a long press on the boot area of the fob, handy if using a non-Tesla charger or a charge point cable that doesn't have a built in remote button.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio and Roy W.
I wonder @Mr H if you venture as far south as Southampton and, if so, how much working space around the car is needed?
My driveway is only slightly bigger than the car itself.
Hannshow offer two trunk versions - is the newer one ok?

However judging by the weather today it looks like "outside fitting season" may be over for this year? :(

I wonder @Mr H if you venture as far south as Southampton and, if so, how much working space around the car is needed?
My driveway is only slightly bigger than the car itself.
Hannshow offer two trunk versions - is the newer one ok?

However judging by the weather today it looks like "outside fitting season" may be over for this year? :(
I’ll go anywhere (except London) in fact I’ve an Aberdeen trip coming up. I have a small gazebo for inclement weather as long as it’s not a hurricane it’s fine. I need room to get down both sides as there are screws in the wheel arches that need to be removed/replaced.

The v4 is the current Hansshow kit which is superb.

discount code - Time4Tesla for 15% off both kits

I’ll go anywhere (except London) in fact I’ve an Aberdeen trip coming up. I have a small gazebo for inclement weather as long as it’s not a hurricane it’s fine. I need room to get down both sides as there are screws in the wheel arches that need to be removed/replaced.

The v4 is the current Hansshow kit which is superb.

discount code - Time4Tesla for 15% off both kits

Perhaps when I've got some mileage on the car (starting a week on Monday :) ) I will look to ordering a Trunk kit (without foot sensor function) and set up a fitting with you, Does the discount code work for a single (Trunk) kit or only for a Frunk & Trunk pair?

Not sure I need the Frunk doing as well - I was thinking of fitting more powerful pistons to the Frunk for auto-open and close it the "hard" way ;)

Reactions: Mr H
I thought I’d add my thoughts about the power trunk after using it for a week.

It has worked faultlessly. I find that most of time I still open the trunk with the catch, and that triggers the motors. For closing I have mostly used the “close” button added to the edge of the trunk.

I’ve used the car screen controls a couple of times, usually to open the trunk for my wife as she approaches and I’m sat in the car. Other than checking that it worked, I’ve not used the app so far. I don’t use voice commands with my phone.

I thought I’d use the foot sensor more than I have. I’ve got the hang of it, but it sometimes needs a couple of “foot waves” to trigger it. If I were having it fitted again I probably wouldn’t bother with the foot sensor.

I love the convenience, and my wife, who is quite short, finds it much easier to close the boot now that it’s motorised. It’s not a cheap upgrade, for me the total was about £500 fitted, but in my view it is well worth the money.
Thanks for the update and interesting that you have not found yourself using the foot sensor much.
Am i right in thinking the CANBUS connection was only associated with the foot sensor or is it used even without that now on V4?

Perhaps when I've got some mileage on the car (starting a week on Monday :) ) I will look to ordering a Trunk kit (without foot sensor function) and set up a fitting with you, Does the discount code work for a single (Trunk) kit or only for a Frunk & Trunk pair?

Not sure I need the Frunk doing as well - I was thinking of fitting more powerful pistons to the Frunk for auto-open and close it the "hard" way ;)
The code works for both kits and foot sensors. Whether ordered all together or not.
IMO the frunk is more important as Tesla say to use 2 hands to close it properly which is a bit difficult if you’ve just taken a bag out of it. YMMV

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
IMO the frunk is more important as Tesla say to use 2 hands to close it properly which is a bit difficult if you’ve just taken a bag out of it. YMMV

That's exactly my reasoning. Having to use two hands to close the frunk can be a bit of a nuisance, especially if it's raining and you've just taken the shopping out of it. Depends how much you use the frunk though, I use it all the time, in preference to using the boot, mainly because it's a lot easy to stop shopping rolling around in the frunk and because putting takeaways in there keeps the smell out of the car.

Reactions: Roy W. and Mr H
All this talk about the Frunk is making me doubt my decision to leave it alone!!
Are you lot conspiring to get me to part with more moolah?
You got shares in them or something? ;)

I'm planning on using my keyfob for Frunk/Trunk control so I will resist purchasing the foot sensor so there!!

What's the "usual" delivery transit time these days - months? weeks? days from purchase?
Any stingers for both units with the Customs, VAT (and delivery/custom handling "expenses)?

All this talk about the Frunk is making me doubt my decision to leave it alone!!
Are you lot conspiring to get me to part with more moolah?
You got shares in them or something? ;)

I'm planning on using my keyfob for Frunk/Trunk control so I will resist purchasing the foot sensor so there!!

What's the "usual" delivery transit time these days - months? weeks? days from purchase?
Any stingers for both units with the Customs, VAT (and delivery/custom handling "expenses)?
Resistance is futile :D

Delivery time is usually 2-3 weeks and it's luck of the draw if you get customs charges - i didn't :cool:

Thy su actually ask you about customs charges now. When I ordered mine I was told you can have it in a week and pay customs charges or wait a month and not. I waited. They still arrived before the car
Which carrier delivered yours? Mine two weeks ago came by FedEx. As soon as it arrived at Heathrow I received a customs charge text, with a link to pay. About a week after delivery I received a receipt from FedEx through the post.

Customs charges aren't optional - if the package gets checked, and the declared contents are worth more than the limit (£30 I think) then you'll have a charge to pay, plus a handling fee. In my case Hansshow had declared the value at $69, which is why the charge was so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.